Rain in DCI

Great reminder: what is considered to be the gold standard of attendance in the DCI era was when DCI FInals was indoors!

Was that the first time Finals was indoors (I think it is but my memory about trivial junk is not what it used to be)

Well, the year before was, but Montreal was the first indoor Finals.

Well, the year before was, but Montreal was the first indoor Finals.

There was no roof on Olympic stadium during finals. The roof wasn't added to Olympic stadium until 1987.

EDIT: I should clarify that the design of the stadium is such that a significant portion of the stands are covered by the sloping concrete sides (hence the echo issues encountered), but the center was still open.

Edited by LincolnV

There was no roof on Olympic stadium during finals. The roof wasn't added to Olympic stadium until 1987.

EDIT: I should clarify that the design of the stadium is such that a significant portion of the stands are covered by the sloping concrete sides (hence the echo issues encountered), but the center was still open.

Similar to how Lucas Oil would be if they opened the roof. Which is an idea that's been kicked around the last couple of years if the weather is good.

Great reminder: what is considered to be the gold standard of attendance in the DCI era was when DCI FInals was indoors!

Was that the first time Finals was indoors (I think it is but my memory about trivial junk is not what it used to be)

incorrect. Montreal was not entriely enclosed in 1981.

Similar to how Lucas Oil would be if they opened the roof. Which is an idea that's been kicked around the last couple of years if the weather is good.

they won't do it...because if it were to start to rain, until the roof closed, the field is screwed because it has no drainage system underneath. Plus, with an open roof, all the black curtains are blowing.

Worse...the large windows at the top of each end zone won't open enough or don't open, I can't remember, which will not help sound at all.

No, the Olympic Stadium finals shows were not indoors. They just seemed that way due to the acoustics, and the cool air (1982).

Thank you (and everyone else) for the clarification. I've only seen Olympic Stadium post-87 with the roof so I didn't realize DCI Finals was pre-roof.

Thank you (and everyone else) for the clarification. I've only seen Olympic Stadium post-87 with the roof so I didn't realize DCI Finals was pre-roof.

it did make the lack of attendance at Expos games seem louder tho

The roof on the Oil Can saved 2012 from being rained off.

It was actually the 2011 Finals during which storms hit, and people died at the State Fair a few miles away, but also during the Prelims in, I think, 2012: I remember the cinema broadcast was lost for about 20 minutes somewhere around fifth or sixth place, though they were kind enough to show those corps' performances again at the end.

Rained off and on all night in 2012 on Saturday at Allentown.

Unless it happened two years in a row--I wasn't there in 2012--it was actually 2011 when the Saturday show at Allentown got rain. It was never thunderstorms, just drear and more or less wet. As I recall, the worst came at the end, for the performances by Cadets, Crown, and the Bridgemen Alumni.