Trombones!

Can't wait to see this on the field. I am almost giddy inside with anticipation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oi4hGYL7pU

• Like 1

Does anyone know which corps will actually use the new instruments? People I have spoken with seem to believe we will not see sousaphones and that tubas/contras will still be the preferred deep voice. Usually these people are pretty close to the mark. I have seen photos from Pacific Crest camps that have a French horn and Madison had what appeared to be a trombone line based on Facebook photos of their camp. What can we expect this summer?

Indeed. On the starting line from Ohio...Ohio State!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

This:

Looks and sounds a whole lot more like Ohio State than anything out there today. Not saying it's not great or that I'm not proud of drum corps' heritage, but the Ohio State comparison to modern drum corps is pretty ridiculous on all counts.

• Like 2

This trombone issue is not new here is a link to Madisons last usage of trombones in the 80s so its been a legal instrument for a long time http://s99.photobucket.com/user/LeedyLudwig/media/tromboniums.jpg.html

Edited by ripper

This:

Looks and sounds a whole lot more like Ohio State than anything out there today. Not saying it's not great or that I'm not proud of drum corps' heritage, but the Ohio State comparison to modern drum corps is pretty ridiculous on all counts.

You have not been paying attention to TBDBITL lately.

This trombone issue is not new here is a link to Madisons last usage of trombones in the 80s so its been a legal instrument for a long time http://s99.photobucket.com/user/LeedyLudwig/media/tromboniums.jpg.html

and you do know a slide trombone is different than a valve trombonium...lol :tounge2:

• Like 1

You have not been paying attention to TBDBITL lately.

Despite the fact that they do the occasional moonwalk and dinosaur, they're still much closer to that video than anything that hit the field in DCI this past year. From a basic level of marching technique and playing style, it's much closer to our roots than modern drum corps is.

I'm excited about the french horns but, What's next...?med_rifle_bugle.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This: ...

I'd seen many of the early DCI videos, but I hadn't seen stuff from the 1950s... thanks! I enjoyed this, and I appreciate the rotating lines during "Never Walk Alone".

On a slightly hilarious note, I was listening to the concert tune in this video, and my 19 month old daughter just came up to me and started banging her head against the arm of my chair.... :silly: I told her it was okay, they didn't have valves back then.

• Like 1

This:

Come on now, there are trombones now, it MUST be marching band. Not the fact that the drill that most college marching bands do now looks like the video you put up of the corps I would eventually march.

You can't compare visual evidence with peoples thoughts that the activity is now band. It's just these lousy trombones making it all bando.

• Like 1