Cause and Effect?

For the most part, the crowd reactions in some of those early years were much more intense. There were spontaneous standing Os more frequently, across more corps, including the smaller, earlier corps. I would just like to get MORE of that fervor back. It certainly makes it all more fun for audience and performer, in my mind. No one wants to scrap all what is different about today's shows, just package those shows a little differently.

:withstupid:

For the most part, the crowd reactions in some of those early years were much more intense. There were spontaneous standing Os more frequently, across more corps, including the smaller, earlier corps. I would just like to get MORE of that fervor back. It certainly makes it all more fun for audience and performer, in my mind. No one wants to scrap all what is different about today's shows, just package those shows a little differently.

Fred, you've hit the nail on the head, man.

Especially when you go waaaay back, some of the memories of crowd reactions are filtered through rose-colored glasses. Not 100%, of course, but they do tend to tint the memory.

if you look at some of the Haas videos, the reality of crowd reactions, even at a show like the 1971 World Open, which some have called one of the great shows of all time, at an iconic stadium, do not show the crowd "throwing babies", even for corps like the local favorite 27th Lancers, Blue Rock, Garfield, the Troopers, Anaheim, SCV, etc...

Yes, there is applause, and at the end of shows you see the crowd stand and give the corps a standing ovation, but it is no more frenetic than shows of today, from my viewing.

Unsure, Mike. Depends on the show, and who. also keep in mind that Mike Cesario comment about how the moments are kind of fewer, how he could remember something cool from every finalist not that long ago, and can now only find 3-4 memorable moments like that now.

Watched a 1983 L'Odysee performance, and the crowd lit up for an 8th place DCA corps more than a lot of recent reactions in DCI. Gotta be a little something to this. Maybe not a lot but at least a little.

Edited by BigW

look it up....loud music cause a chemical reaction in the brain....its used to get reaction whether one wants to give it or not......its very interesting read how loud music effect the brain and how we THINK were reacting to one thing and its actually another.

I did a paper in college on brain reactions to outside stimuli .Kinda interesting, and what we think are emotional reactions are more chemical reaction to sound or sight..if I also remember correctly ( was a while ago could be wrong , I should look it up again BUT sound is a. delay . Sight , faster

In University, my brain reactions to outside stimuli (beer) prevented me from doing papers.

Edited by LincolnV

Especially when you go waaaay back, some of the memories of crowd reactions are filtered through rose-colored glasses. Not 100%, of course, but they do tend to tint the memory.

if you look at some of the Haas videos, the reality of crowd reactions, even at a show like the 1971 World Open, which some have called one of the great shows of all time, at an iconic stadium, do not show the crowd "throwing babies", even for corps like the local favorite 27th Lancers, Blue Rock, Garfield, the Troopers, Anaheim, SCV, etc...

Yes, there is applause, and at the end of shows you see the crowd stand and give the corps a standing ovation, but it is no more frenetic than shows of today, from my viewing.

I don't doubt that memories become cloudy, but I distinctly remember being in the stand during the early '80's. (Perc, you're right. The recent Garfield dynasty really started in '82, not '83). I remember distinctly jumping to my feet many times during finals performances. Mike, maybe you're recalling a more sedate "tour" crowd instead of finals, and me the opposite. But I remember being angered by the raucous crowds because I couldn't hear the music!

IDK, my memories of drum corps finals shows is as clear as where I was when Kennedy was shot. And I remember crowds being much more animated BITD than today.

However, programming back then was well-scripted. We knew when to applaud - when songs ended. Today, shows are much more fluid and non-stop, for example.

I REALLY wish I'd heard the final strains of the soprano at the end of Cadets' '87 show. The only other louder show I recall is Phantom '08.

Watched a 1983 L'Odyssee performance, and the crowd lit up for an eighth-place DCA corps more than a lot of recent reactions in DCI.

Neat. I hadn't seen that show before. Jazz running in 1983 in DCA, plus one enormous moving spaceship prop.

That's true, as well: about rose-colored glasses. I've heard recordings of DCI Finals with the crowd going nuts chanting "EAST EAST EAST," and I certainly wasn't personally around BITD to witness that stuff so maybe I am over-glorifying what I thought was a much bigger reaction.

No, you're not at all. Those days when Garfield was trying to end the west coast dominance were some of the most exciting I remember. I was chanting EAST! and the electricity in the stands was almost palpable.

You're not glorifying it all and, again, the only recent crowd response that has come close, IMO, is Phantom '08.

I appreciate those who fondly remember the environment 'back in the day' and are comfortable enough to bring it up in contrast. These observations are not made by ENEMY ATTACKERS. Far from it! These are expressions of a passion that has affected us deeply and has endured for a long, long time. Today's corps and audiences CAN reach these levels again, and they MUST!

I remember some of those big events being like NFL playoff games for everyone present. Believe me when I say, in Allentown, spectators were actually arrested by police from the stands. Truth be told, I had an official from Boston Crusaders taken away by paddy wagon. I kid you not. It was that intense! Surely, I do not condone anyone being arrested! But, can we at least tip-toe closer to that edge? Without ever reaching it again, certainly. These things need to be juiced-up (in a good way) to get a little more 'buzz' back into the building. For goodness sake, we're bringing people into a football stadium!

• Like 1

If it is indeed true that the crowds are less fervid these days, I can guess that one big reason is that the crowds are less local. Drum corps used to be an intensely local activity, drawing members and followers from the same city or parish or neighborhood. Drum corps shows would feature several corps from the same city or state, many being in intense rivalries with each other.

Now, drum corps participation is much more diffuse. The big corps draw their members from all around the country, even the world. As well, the major rivalries in drum corps are no longer regional, but national.

So the result is a crowd with less emotional investment than BITD. Sic transit, baby.

Oh, and as for the Lucas Oil place, I find it an intimidating and unpleasant place to watch drum corps. So many distractions and comforts, such awful acoustics, such a boxed-in, dark feel. Hard to get excited in there. Give me Whitewater any friggin day.

• Like 3

If it is indeed true that the crowds are less fervid these days, I can guess that one big reason is that the crowds are less local. Drum corps used to be an intensely local activity, drawing members and followers from the same city or parish or neighborhood. Drum corps shows would feature several corps from the same city or state, many being in intense rivalries with each other.

Now, drum corps participation is much more diffuse. The big corps draw their members from all around the country, even the world. As well, the major rivalries in drum corps are no longer regional, but national.

So the result is a crowd with less emotional investment than BITD. Sic transit, baby.

Hey, quietcity-

Interesting observation! I would not have thought of that angle. In a certain way, maybe these groups and their fans were closer to 'neighborhood' teams and the bravado that comes with that. I just know there's a difference now.