Best Drum Breaks

Madison 1992!

• Like 1

Cool to me? Absolutely!

Anything more than nerdy and novel to someone on the street? No.

Less nerdy than what drumlines look like now? Not a chance.

I showed this to some HS percussionists and they laughed and thought this was a "DRUMLINE" esque type of thing.

As a percussionist who marched DCI snare in the mid/late 90's I appreciate this awesome percussion section. But I can totally see how younger people, or people off-the-street not in-the-know about the history and evolution of the activity would totally think this is nerdy bando stuff.

• Like 1

I showed this to some HS percussionists and they laughed and thought this was a "DRUMLINE" esque type of thing.

As a percussionist who marched DCI snare in the mid/late 90's I appreciate this awesome percussion section. But I can totally see how younger people, or people off-the-street not in-the-know about the history and evolution of the activity would totally think this is nerdy bando stuff.

Good for you - I'm sure you were there to educate them about how things have evolved after 40 years.

Edited by LincolnV

Good for you - I'm sure you were there to educate them about how things have evolved after 40 years.

Another nerve touched by the truth of those awful uniforms and hairdos! :tounge2:

Honestly, though, it's the mark-timing cymbal players that are the worst. I understand it's SCV's cymbal line and it's legendary but it's so nerdy, it hurts.

I've browsed through the old corps photos thread here and every time I have only one thought: THESE are the people claiming that DCI is now bando and nerdy? Because I'm pretty sure that chubby dude is playing a pair cymbals larger than his torso while high mark-timing in front of a dude carrying a freakin' tympani and next to a dude with a xylophone strapped to his chest...

Edited by CCorps

Another nerve touched by the truth of those awful uniforms and hairdos! :tounge2:

Honestly, though, it's the mark-timing cymbal players that are the worst. I understand it's SCV's cymbal line and it's legendary but it's so nerdy, it hurts.

I've browsed through the old corps photos thread here and every time I have only one thought: THESE are the people claiming that DCI is now bando and nerdy? Because I'm pretty sure that chubby dude is playing a pair cymbals larger than his torso while high mark-timing in front of a dude carrying a freakin' tympani and next to a dude with a xylophone strapped to his chest...

Your ability to decipher a situation has lead me to believe that you are either a Rhodes scholar or perhaps even more impressive. Perhaps a Jedi Knight?

Wow you must have something against SCV or something because they are one of the best drumlines in DCI. Being a younger person, I think that was a great performance. There was nothing even remotely nerdy about it, that's how they played back then. You are being very immature about it. What was your favorite drum break? I'm sure somebody can point out every flaw and nitpick like you are doing. But they aren't because they respect others opinions. You don't have to be a jerk about it, just say you don't favor it and move on.

I'll never forget sitting in the theater during one of those DCI Fan Showcase movie events where the fans select the shows they want to see. The audience at the theater I went to, by and large, was made up of high school band kids who were really eager to watch drum corps on the big screen. It was a very large crowd overall, and I'd say those band kids really enjoyed themselves, as audience reaction to pretty much every single show was very strong. But when they showed a guy on the screen in the 27th Lancers marching around with what looked to be a set of large concert chimes strapped to a harness on his chest, you would have thought the theater was in the middle of showing a raucous comedy. The laughter was pretty loud and continued even after the camera switched to something else. And I laughed, too. I mean, what the eff WAS that thing??

The activity, then and now, can easily be perceived as very nerdy. It comes with the territory. People need to stop taking themselves so seriously about it. If someone doesn't know any better, or understand context, their reactions to something like that will most likely be different, and not always favorable. Don't be so quick to get offended. And if you stop to actually think about it, you may even say to yourself, MAN, what were we thinking back then??

(And to be fair, the audience at the movie theater I went to for the 2013 DCI semi-finals contest roared with the same kind of laughter when the "evil queen" made her appearance during Phantom Regiment's show. Nerdiness is not confined to one generation in this activity.)

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 1

The giant glasses and haircuts were a product of the 70s, but they look pretty ridiculous now. The big mustaches and sideburns. And people having tympani strapped onto them, or a set of chimes hanging off of their person looks pretty dorky looking back, but it was people working within the rules.

And it was every corps that looked like that, not just SCV.

Wow you must have something against SCV or something because they are one of the best drumlines in DCI. Being a younger person, I think that was a great performance. There was nothing even remotely nerdy about it, that's how they played back then. You are being very immature about it. What was your favorite drum break? I'm sure somebody can point out every flaw and nitpick like you are doing. But they aren't because they respect others opinions. You don't have to be a jerk about it, just say you don't favor it and move on.

I think the person you are replying to might be posting with an unbiased, non-drum corps experienced eyes/brain: not that he is not experienced, but posting from the perception of an outsider. From that standpoint, I don't think he's far off. I've been a DCI fans since 1990 and am VERY well-versed in SCV's history, greatness, innovation, etc. The average outsider does not, and instead perceives that particular video totally different than someone with a personal historical knowledge of the activity.

And there's nothing wrong with that perception: it's a part of the history/evolution of the activity, in the same way that the gaudy, silly-looking costumes from 1987 SCV's show were off-the-hook in 1987 (note - that's one of my favorite shows). In context of history, that stuff is amazing; when taken as-it-is right now, not so much, and I can understand the argument that stuff can be viewed as just as bando and goofy as trombones, sousaphones, and synths.

The giant glasses and haircuts were a product of the 70s, but they look pretty ridiculous now. The big mustaches and sideburns. And people having tympani strapped onto them, or a set of chimes hanging off of their person looks pretty dorky looking back, but it was people working within the rules.

Yeah that rig that looks like someone who is being treated for massive spinal injury with chimes dangling = REALLY dorky looking taken at face value. Or some of the stuff from before grounded pit, where there's like someone on the field playing tambourine acting like he's the featured soloist (BD 76 "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor" comes to mind) = laughably goofy. When I show those videos to youngin's it ALWAYS gets laughs, especially because their only frame of reference is modern BD/drum corps.

It really is ALL just marching band & you can't take it too seriously. Imagine what modern costuming might look like in a few decades, or what 2013 drum corps uniforms might look like to 2033 pageantry fans

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 1