Carolina Crown 2014

Indeed. At some point during their respective shows, the Blue Devils' color guard will all switch to snare, Phantom Regiment's tubas will insert trumpets into their bells and continue playing, half the Cavaliers will switch to drum major and act as the personal conductors for the other half of the members, the Madison Scouts and Blue Knights will trade uniforms, the Bluecoats will switch to WGI's rules for five minutes, and the Santa Clara Vanguard and Cadets will perform one another's shows at random points throughout the summer.

At the end of Phantom's 2010 show I thought a member of the Troopers should have come out and handed them a stack of gently used blankets, just before they all go off into the light.

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 2

Indeed. At some point during their respective shows, the Blue Devils' color guard will all switch to snare, Phantom Regiment's tubas will insert trumpets into their bells and continue playing, half the Cavaliers will switch to drum major and act as the personal conductors for the other half of the members, the Madison Scouts and Blue Knights will trade uniforms, the Bluecoats will switch to WGI's rules for five minutes, and the Santa Clara Vanguard and Cadets will perform one another's shows at random points throughout the summer.

I'm too embarrassed to admit how far I went along believing that.

... and the Santa Clara Vanguard and Cadets will perform one another's shows at random points throughout the summer.

Don't they already do this?

• Like 2

Garfield's guard picked up sopranos for their closer in '77 (IIRC).

...and Bluecoats '88 guard picked up sops for the finale in Autumn leaves.

....and Bluecoats '87 & '88 much of the field percussion picked up snares for the drum to drum in Autumn leaves.

....and Velvet Knights '87 bunch of field percussion picked up snares for the drum to drum in their percussion feature.

...and Bluecoats '94 guard picked up saxes during C Jam Blues (didn't play them though)

....and Cavalier's guard in '89 and '90 picked up drum heads and were played by percussionists during in the percussion feature. Other guard members picked up little cymbals and played.

....and Cavalier's 98 (I think) guard picked up cymbals and played them.

So, I love this sort of thing, and it's been done a bit in the past, though I don't think I've heard of the specific 40 trumpets and 40 mellophone rumor that's been posted here.

Now there's another rumor that they're not the only one to be doing something like this this year (which I'm guess SCV could be the other ).

Still it's all rumor. LOVE the IDEA though!

Also, many corps have had the hornline pick up flags or other guard equipment in their shows. I can think of at least Crossmen, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Cadets, Freelancers, Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment, and maybe Madison Scouts. I wonder who I'm missing here, but it's also cool and been done, most recently the Cadets, and the Cavaliers.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Now there's another rumor that they're not the only one to be doing something like this this year (which I'm guess SCV could be the other ).

Not SCV, but there is another group from last year's Top 5 that will be having sections switching instruments.

Not SCV, but there is another group from last year's Top 5 that will be having sections switching instruments.

Haha, well that narrows it down! If Crown is supposedly doing this (based on what is in this thread, who knows...) and SCV isn't. Then:

Blue Devils - I could see the Gordon Goodwin piece being written to require something like this. His band had many players that played multiple instruments.

Bluecoats - I could see this being done in their "Tilt" show. I mean, it would fit the theme.

Cadets - I could see the Cadets doing this too.

Actually, I could see this type of thing fitting into Boston's Animal farm concept too.

There. I'm no help! :tounge2: