Biggest unknowns going into the season?

So as we're approaching April and drum corps is right around the corner, what are some things that are the biggest unknowns? You funny cats out there will point out the obvious- Scores, placements, show announcements etc... but there are some very big uncertainties facing many and all corps regarding rule changes, staffing, design just to name a few. What are the biggest uncertainties/questions you see coming into drum corps 2014?

Mine are:

Cavaliers- We all saw the improvement last year and now the obvious question- Are they poised to return to the top 5 or championship hunt or are they going to be in the same placement range. I am intruiged by their show title, but time will tell.

Blue Stars- Flash in the pan 12th place? Or long term back in finals and roaring like the Stars of the late 00's?

Troopers- Large jump in quality last year great staffing, are they going to be a finalist this year, is someone going to move out as they improve.

Crossmen- Will losing Buckingham spell the doom of the X-men? With such a heart breaking end of the season last year can they jump back into the mix or is the staffing going to be a major impact?

Boston- Lots of new staff at Boston- But lots of GREAT new staff at Boston.... Great pieces in place, but will the mixing in of new staff affect the corps this season?

Colts- Buckingham and Sully..... Are there more than a few corps watching what's coming out of Dubuque this spring... Are the Colts finalist contenders this year.

Crown- Repeat or not Repeat that is the question

BD- Will they be the one's to press the trombone option going forward... I've heard nothing to suggest any corps is using tbones, but the Blue Devils are inovators and rest assured if and when we see tbones it might be in BD.

SCV- Seems like '04 all over again, but is it?? How different is this show going to be from their '04 production which I loved and can it win?

Just some thoughts and questions... interested to see what others think are going to be unknowns/potential storylines for the summer?

Wes Perkins

I think Phantom is a big unknown. Just when you think you've got them pegged in placement they pull out a surprise.

One prediction I'll make based on the pre-season, is there will be multiple additional threads here on DCP that fall into a never ending philosophical discussion that has no beginning or end.

Some of them remind me of that sketch on Monty Python showing the Philosphers playing football (soccer).

http://youtu.be/ur5fGSBsfq8

• Like 3

Biggest unknowns?

What will Crown follow up last year's with

How high troopers will place

Which of the bottom 4 of the finalist corps will fall out of finals

BD- Will they be the one's to press the trombone option going forward... I've heard nothing to suggest any corps is using tbones, but the Blue Devils are inovators and rest assured if and when we see tbones it might be in BD.

Madison is rumored to be using trombones this year (there is a recent DCP thread here to this effect). Seems fitting, as they were daring enough to (briefly) use those wacky tromboniums way back in '78 (or was it '80?).

Madison is rumored to be using trombones this year (there is a recent DCP thread here to this effect). Seems fitting, as they were daring enough to (briefly) use those wacky tromboniums way back in '78 (or was it '80?).

Keep in mind they are using them only in select segments of the show and do not have a trombone line as some have said in other threads.

• Like 1

Keep in mind they are using them only in select segments of the show and do not have a trombone line as some have said in other threads.

Oh they will!

They're on that slippery slope to marching-band-land and no force in the world can stop them (from sliding to where they already are ?!)

:ninja:

Oh they will!

They're on that slippery slope to marching-band-land and no force in the world can stop them (from sliding to where they already are ?!)

:ninja:

Why do you think they call them "slide trombones"?

The last few years has seen precious little turnover in the Finals lineup from the year before - one new corps in 2013, one new corps in 2012, one new corps in 2011... I expect that to continue. The two biggest unknowns I can think of as far as the top 12 goes is 1) how will Carolina Crown do in defending their championship? So far, there's not much past history to go on, other than maybe Star of Indiana. And 2) how will the Cavaliers new instructional and design staff affect their finish and move the corps around them? I could see them finishing top 4 (a la 1998). I could also see them finishing 7th-9th. But I'm hoping for top 4. :)

Mike

• Like 1

will DCI return BD to face of the org after throwing CC a bone?

can Hopkins once again produce a championship caliber show?

can SCV recreate 1988 to 1989 with 2004 to 2014?

will the adjudicary start yelling BLOOO?

will Phantom remove the restrictor plates and have a full bore ending?

is Madison drinking the corporate Kool-Aid?

can Troopers sneak a color pres into their show again?

will Blue Knights utilize their talent and abandon avant garde?

can Crossmen rediscover the funk and drop the PC messaging?

I am a fossil who enjoys todays DC

frankiE

• Like 3