What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

There wasn't all that much "vigorous change" in the mid/late 60's either. Look at VFW Nats from 64-70.

Of the 28 spots from 1st to 4th, 21 of them were taken by four corps. Cavies all 7, Troopers 6, Kilties 4 and BAC 4. Two more took 6 - Royal Airs 3 and Des Plaines 3, plus Blessed Sac snuck into 4th in 1970.

That is it over a 7-year period. Not all that different from today, back when there were hundreds more corps.

Except that 1971 saw 3 new names in the top 4 spots. Is that why you picked 64-70?

Except that 1971 saw 3 new names in the top 4 spots. Is that why you picked 64-70?

I picked 7 years in a row...that's all. Yes, new corps moved in for sure, but those were seven years in a row of very stable results. What is your point?

It seems more like you have some sort of problem with what I write than anything else.

I don't have " a problem " with your comments, assessments, obeservations, etc... its more like " a disagreement " with much of it, thats all. Is that " a problem " for you ?

I picked 7 years in a row...that's all. Yes, new corps moved in for sure, but those were seven years in a row of very stable results. What is your point?

To avoid any possible misunderstanding, in case anyone might incorrectly infer from your post that contest placements 40-45 years ago were just as slow to change as today.

Sorry, but yes they did, even with the release practice in effect. Moving up the chain from local class 'B' to a class 'A' corps as I noted was common. Not as common was moving around different local corps, as much for location as anything. Why move from one GSC to another at the same level, if you are already in one located close to your home?

I know of members who even moved between 'A' corps in the early/mid 70's, like Muchachos to Santa Clara, and Garfield to 27th, neither of them local moves.

For the record, I never stated anywhere on this thread that prior to DCI that marchers did not move from one Corps to another ( although not as common as today in my opinion ). I merely stated that some Circuits at one time ( even just a few years before formation of DCI too ) did in fact have long time offseason transfer policies in place and that marchers were in fact denied offseason transfers between Corps by these circuits. This was the gist of my comments above ( hate to repeat this stuff ). You do not deny this historical reality that I mentioned above ?... or do you ? ( a simple "yes " or " no " response should suffice, so we don't get lost in the weeds here on this stuff. )

Edited by BRASSO

That you are cherry picking. Obviously.

• Like 2

There wasn't all that much "vigorous change" in the mid/late 60's either. Look at VFW Nats from 64-70.

Of the 28 spots from 1st to 4th, 21 of them were taken by four corps. Cavies all 7, Troopers 6, Kilties 4 and BAC 4. Two more took 6 - Royal Airs 3 and Des Plaines 3, plus Blessed Sac snuck into 4th in 1970.

That is it over a 7-year period. Not all that different from today, back when there were hundreds more corps.

Facts can be such messy things.. ok, here goes: There were approx. TWICE as much " vigorous change" in Championship winners just prior to DCI than what we find today in DCI Corps winning championships. That is my comment, and here is the supporting detailed facts to support the comment. ( that some posters here now ask for in " verification " with my commentary, but ask few others for THEIR " verification " to support THEIR commentary for whatever reason) But anyway..here goes:

There were lots of shows just prior to DCI that claimed " National Champions ", but conventional understanding is that just 2, the VFW Nationals and the American Legion Nationals, could legitimately claim the mantle back then of " National Champion ", so I utilized just these 2 to demonstrate TWICE the " vigorous change " in garnering the mantle of " National Champion ". : From 1960 to 1970, this decade found 8 Corps claiming " National Champion " status winning one of the Championships... more telling is that in this 10 year period right before DCI, in 8 of these 10 years, a DIFFERENT Champion was declared in the VFW than in the AL, despite the fact that in 8 of these years, both of the declared winners competed in both Championships vs, one another, but the other came out on top that year in the other National Championship competition..... Contrasting the 8 different winners in this period, we find that in the last decade in DCI of 2003 to 2013, we find that DCI had 5 different Corps winning championships, and if we utilized the period of 2000- 2010, we find just 4 different Corps winning the Championship, and with just 3 Corps winning 9 out of 10 of the DCI Titles in this time period.

Summary conclusion :... just prior to DCI, ( the decade YOU chose to highlight, not me ) there was approximately TWICE the number of " vigorous change " in Championship winners than what we find in DCI today.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Facts can be such nasty things.. ok, here goes: There were approx. TWICE as much " vigorous change" in Championship winners just prior to DCI than what we find today in DCI Corps winning championships. That is my comment, and here is the supporting detailed facts to support the comment. ( that some posters here now ask for in " verification " with my commentary, but ask few others for THEIR " verification " to support THEIR commentary for whatever reason) But anyway..here goes:

There were lots of shows just prior to DCI that claimed " National Champions ", but conventional understanding is that just 2, the VFW Nationals and the American Legion Nationals, could legitimately claim the mantle back then of " National Champion ", so I utilized just these 2 to demonstrate TWICE the " vigorous change " in garnering the mantle of " National Champion ". From 1960 to 1970, this decade found 8 Corps claiming " National Champion " status winning one of the Championships... more telling is that in this 10 year period right before DCI, in 8 of these 10 years, a DIFFERENT Champion was declared in the VFW than in the AL, despite the fact that in 8 of these years, both of the declared winners competed in both Championships vs, one another, but the other came out on top that year in the other National Championship..... Contrasting the 8 different winners in this period, we find that in the last decade in DCI of 2003 to 2013, we find that DCI had 5 different Corps winning championships, and if we utilized the period of 2000- 2010, we find just 4 different Corps winning the Championship, and with just 3 Corps winning 9 out of 10 of the DCI Titles in this time period.

Summary conclusion :... just prior to DCI, ( the decade YOU chose to highlight, not me ) there was approximately TWICE the number of " vigorous change " in Championship winners than what we find in DCI today.

Useless comparison information, as the rules between the two were different.

"Obviously" not. I picked a bunch of years in the 60's, that's all.

You asked what his point was. I answered. You pick other years, you get different results.