Is Drum Corps a sport?

Why are you asking me this ? There are lots of things in sport that are silly... (and of course there are lots of things in DCI that appear to be silly too). Life is full of silliness ( but of course, many more things that are of a much more serious nature as well ). But I really don't know where you are going with this. re. your question for me today, Stu

Ok; if you will not define the silliness, then I would like for you to define the word/activity ‘sport’. Not in terms of ‘it cannot not have this’ or ‘this is exclusive to that’, but in terms which encompass the common, remember, common aspects of all recognized activities called ‘sport’ and the definition can be applied to any existing 'sport'.

Edited by Stu

I don't even understand the need for the question - to what end does the activity need to be categorize as a sport or not anyway? Does it feed the ego of some who want to brag that they're in a sport? Will it affect funding in any way or how it's generally viewed by the public?

When the perdiodic discussions arise (usually during olympic times) as to whether figure skating, or gymnastics or rhythmic gymnastics are sports or not, all that does is provide a forum for those who already dislike the activities to make fun of them, without dissuading those that like it from continuing to like it.

PS - my vote: not

I don't even understand the need for the question - to what end does the activity need to be categorize as a sport or not anyway? Does it feed the ego of some who want to brag that they're in a sport? Will it affect funding in any way or how it's generally viewed by the public?

When the perdiodic discussions arise (usually during olympic times) as to whether figure skating, or gymnastics or rhythmic gymnastics are sports or not, all that does is provide a forum for those who already dislike the activities to make fun of them, without dissuading those that like it from continuing to like it.

PS - my vote: not

Because this is fun off-season banter. Also to point out that things are what they are no matter what the activity wants to call itself or what one 'perceives' it to be. Competitive Figure Skating, for example, fits into the criteria of a sport by what it is and what it does even though someone else does not perceive it as a sport. And Competitive Drum Corps has all, I mean all the characteristics of an activity which defines 'sport'; and that is not changed because it uses instruments which are unique only to that activity. What I am amused at within these threads is how viscous some get, not Brasso, but how some get viscous when Competitive Drum Corps is called a Sport, or especially, omg, when it is called a Marching Band.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Ok; if you will not define the silliness, then I would like for you to define the word/activity ‘sport’. Not in terms of ‘it cannot not have this’ or ‘this is exclusive to that’, but in terms which encompass the common, remember, common aspects of all recognized activities called ‘sport’ and the definition can be applied to any existing 'sport'.

Ok Stu.. rather that my chuckling at the silliness that some want to make DCI'ers athletes that do competitive " sport ", I will briefly ( but ever so briefly ) try to make the serious case that despite the indisputable element of amazing athleticism displayed by today's musicians,dancers,singers ,drummers, etc in DCI, they're not involved in competitive " sport ".

Almost since the Dawn of Man, thru the Egypitian Age, the Greeks, The Romans, the Ming Dynasties, etc... thru to modern day.... Music and Sport have ALWAYS been separate as entities unto themselves. We see this on the walls of the Egyptian caves... we see this in the writings of Plato, and Socrates... music is one realm, sport entirely another. The Roman Games were sport competitions... Music competitions considered a different realm. The Greeks likewise knew enough to separate their Music and Dance from their Olympic sports, carried forth throughout the entire 4 corners of the world today, where Olympic Sport competition does not consider music in competition to be " sport " competition. Billions of people alive today, and throughout history, accept this as a given, ie that music and sport are in 2 different, distinct and separate realms

We have read however on DCP that a handful of people involved in modern day Drum Corps want to self name this activity as one that belongs in the athletes realm of" sports" competition. They utilize to advance this position with the fact that..... " they burn thousands of calories"..... " they lose a lot of weight doing so "..... " they do athletic moves that are stupendous "...." they have heart rates in performance that are similar to an athletes in sports competition "....." they are judged in competition with build up points on a set criteria ", and so forth. All of these, are of course accurate portrayals as to what DCI'ers do. But it does not make DCI'ers competitors in a " sport"

If physical exertion, calorie burning, impressive physical athletic moves displayed, and so forth is the barometer requirement for a group composed of dancers, musicians, singers,, drummers to be considered a competitive sport, then DCI'ers would need to bring in with them lots of other music and dance groups that likewise fit this qualifyer. All of which would fit this unconventional descriiption of " sport ":. The list below are just SOME Music Groups that fit the qualifyers here being utilized this week on DCP. All of them are involved in judged competitions in their Music and/ or Dance Group realm, each year throughout the world. Are these following groups likewise involved in " sports " competition because they exert intense physicality and levels of brilliant athleticism oftentimes in performance competition ? :

Samba Bands

Hip Hop Bands

Salsa Bands

Lambada Bands

Brazilian Bands

Industrial Metal Bands

Calypso Bands

Afro- Beat Bands

Merenque Bands

Tejano Bands

Indie Bands

Phillipine Bands

Battle of the Bands

The last grouping.. the " Battle of the Bands " oftentimes have music performers that are extremely active in physical movements in competition. They will do lots of intense physical movements in show performance that require lots of athleticism. Some music performers are sometimes lofted skyward way above the crowds by machine hydraulic lifts that tests the performers athleticism, ie balance, footspeed, agility, endurance, and mental and physical stamina, and so forth. Are these musicians engaged in intense competition with one another in judged competition engaged in a competitive " sport " however ? of course not. Even these music performers do not consider such intense physical exertion in music competition a competitive " sport ". So to summarize, since the Dawn of Man, Music has been understood, in all societies throughout known history, that when a musician picks up a musical instrument ( of ANY kind ) and decides to compete with others, he or she is not involved in a competitive " sport ". Music and Sport are in 2 different realms. DCI'ers wishes notwithstanding, DCI in our little corner of the world of today is not going to change this fundamental historical as well modern world wide reality because a few of us wish it to be so.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I will briefly ( but ever so briefly ) try to make the serious case that despite the indisputable element of amazing athleticism displayed by today's musicians,dancers,singers ,drummers, etc in DCI, they're not involved in competitive " sport ".

I merely requested for you to simply define the word/activity sport which encompasses the common attributes of all sports; and I also requested you refrain from using the concept what it is not. Your brief (but ever so brief) response contained 3,501 letters/715 spaces and 701 total words. And what did you do? Did you simply define common attributes of all sports? Nope. Did you type a 701 word verbose diatribe on why competitive marching is, in your Humble opinion, not a sport? Yep. But I think I know why you did this; I am a soothsayer. You typed this diatribe of why you believe competitive drum corps is 'not' a sport because if you constructed an Honest definition 'of sport', which encompasses the common attributes of all sports, you will discover that competitive drum corps will actually fit that definition. Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!

Edited by Stu

Per the argument that Drum Corps is a sport due to the fact that it has been televised on ESPN:

If I am not mistaken, ESPN also televised the Scripps National Spelling Bee for a number of years.

because if you constructed an Honest definition 'of sport', which encompasses the common attributes of all sports ....

How can you create a definition of something, which encompasses the common attributes of everything that fits that definition which you haven't yet created? Either (a) you are implying that the definition already exists and is agreed-upon, in which event there is nothing left for him to construct, or (b) you are asking him to present circulus in probando, because once he defines the sport, then all activities which meet his definition ipso facto have their attributes encompassed by the definition.

My personal definition off the top of my head? A physically-exertive activity where an individual or group competes against another individual or group, with the potential for any participant to achieve results superior to the other participant(s), based upon objectively applied rules and purposes.

Things necessarily excluded from that definition: figure skating, gymnastics, diving, half-pipe snowboarding, Dancing with the Stars, regional band auditions, beauty contests, and yes, DCI.

So shoot me - I'm old school.