Why won't DCI follow this type of path?

So if the majority voting are not "top corps"...

While I think I see what you are saying there, that is not an accurate comparison. Not just because DCI has no "table", but because in the Premier League, you occasionally see the team at the bottom of the table beat a team at the top of the table. That does not happen in DCI. (And I do not envision it happening even if we had "parity".)

Why will there only ever be 20 full drum corps?

The voting members are the WC corps; OC corps, for example, has no voice but they are at the mercy of the WC corps; and with the exception of the G7 proposal, most all non G7 WC corps directors have over the years trusted the ‘lead’ of a few like Hopkins and Gibbs. Moreover, if competitive parity will never happen in DCI then the G7 were correct in that 'they' are the show and that all other corps should just go to hades. And if there is no chance at competitive parity in DCI the corps who are attempting to build and enter DCI, and pretty much all of the non G7 corps, are just fooling themselves with a sense of delusion. That would indicate the number of corps in DCI WC will from this point forward be just a few if not eventually falling way lower than 20 even to the point of less than the G7.

And if there is no chance at competitive parity in DCI the corps who are attempting to build and enter DCI, and pretty much all of the non G7 corps, are just fooling themselves with a sense of delusion. That would indicate the number of corps in DCI WC will from this point forward be just a few if not eventually falling way lower than 20 even to the point of less than the G7.

Ten years ago, Crown was a consistently bottom half finalist corps. Now they're consistently a top half finalist corps. Obviously it can be done.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

I assume NASCAR does not have a clique of 7 top drivers/teams who think they are the draw, and thus are better off colluding among themselves.

Well.... There is one driver who would reluctantly make a comment about being the draw if you forced him to. Dale, Jr. I've seen the power of his fans first hand at Richmond, and his recent Twitter account phenomena was huge news in NASCAR. When Dale Jr. is winning, the ratings go way up. The sports media will talk about NASCAR more freely.

However, NASCAR isn't driven by the teams. They do what they're told from the NASCAR executive level. They do get input but decisions are made from the top down, unlike DCI.

For example, this latest chase restructuring- that wasn't some idea concocted and supported by the teams. Jimmie Johnson was called and told about it. Does he think it makes sense, not likely. Will he say anything publicly, No. It's obvious to me that the new format was designed to force him to win the final race if he wants another championship, and that the powers that be are so desperate to have anyone that is NOT Jimmie Johnson be the next champ- preferably Dale, Jr. though they wouldn't admit that publicly.

F1 is a bit more like DCI- Ferrari is the 900 pound gorilla and what it thinks has way more weight than anyone else involved. They kind of have a G7 effect there with McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull pretty much dominating everything and leaving the scraps for mostly everyone else.

F1 is a bit more like DCI- Ferrari is the 900 pound gorilla and what it thinks has way more weight than anyone else involved. They kind of have a G7 effect there with McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull pretty much dominating everything and leaving the scraps for mostly everyone else.

It used to be, but now the FIA seems to do whatever it wants independent of the team thinking. Ferrari has been very publicly speaking out against the newest rule changes, but it's gaining no ground. Probably because Mercedes is dominating this season. Same with Red Bull the last few years, people wanted the rules changed to slow them down, instead of improving their own cars and doing better than Red Bull.

Well.... There is one driver who would reluctantly make a comment about being the draw if you forced him to. Dale, Jr. I've seen the power of his fans first hand at Richmond, and his recent Twitter account phenomena was huge news in NASCAR. When Dale Jr. is winning, the ratings go way up. The sports media will talk about NASCAR more freely.

Made me think: Is there a "Dale Jr" drum corps in DCI?

Maybe, oh I don't know, BD?

Ten years ago, Crown was a consistently bottom half finalist corps. Now they're consistently a top half finalist corps. Obviously it can be done.

And three years ago the Board and CEO of Crown took a huge, I mean grand, massive dump on other corps in DCI who would desire to follow their path when they signed onto the G7 proposal. They got to the top; then became self-centered egotistical narcissistic you-know-whats instead of being humble on how they got there and showing a desire to see others follow their same path.

I do not mind sarcasm; I do not mind funny jabs; that is part of the fun of DCP. The thing is that you know full well that I have stated multiple times in multiple threads I believe there is a huge conflict of interest in the way the DCI BOD is structured.

um......you do realize I have been pointing out faults within the DCi structure set up since DCp opened right? As well as before that on RAMD.

The problem is you keep reaching way out into left field for examples to try and tie into that won't ever work for what we do, but try and force it in anyways

One other thing I think is being missed...

"Growth growth growth". #growdrumcorps

Right... here's the thing. Drum corps isn't going to get any bigger. It's just not. Soak in that bath of chocolate for a while.

There is so much wrong with this post, and I'm frankly surprised that it has two "likes".

Forgive me for replying in several pieces,

First, the above. I wonder, can you tell me where the stock market is going to finish tomorrow? Next week? Next year?

If yes, I'll start warming the chocolate bath.

But I wonder, what makes you so sure of your prognostications about the growth of drum corps?

Let's not forget that DCI is a $10million enterprise, even not including the ancillary GDP created by the individual corps operations. It's not monstrous, but it is significant, and that kind of revenue COULD attract the right combination of circumstances and events to allow for growth. We just haven't seen that correct mix - yet.

Edited by garfield

Made me think: Is there a "Dale Jr" drum corps in DCI?

Maybe, oh I don't know, BD?

Dale Jr. is a fan favorite, never won the championship, and he would never support narcissistic attitudes like the G7. So he would be sort of a cross between the Boston Crusaders and Madison Scouts.

Blue Devils, on the other hand, would be a combination of the 'competitive results' of the multi-champion Jimmie Johnson with the 'personal characteristics' of Kurt Busch.

um......you do realize I have been pointing out faults within the DCi structure set up since DCp opened right? As well as before that on RAMD.

The problem is you keep reaching way out into left field for examples to try and tie into that won't ever work for what we do, but try and force it in anyways

I play right field, thank you.