Controversy in WGI and DCI

We live in a society where shows that are about murder and other horrible events in society are praised

It all depends in the presentation. If the movie or TV show has boring actors and actresses, and a boring plot, the movie can have a thousand murders depicted, etc and it'll be a total flop at the box office or on TV. On the other hand, If a woman takes her clothes off, ( or pretty close to it ) nobody cares about the theme, the plot, or if anybody is murdered or whatnot in the show. It can still stay on the airwaves if it has sizzle. None of the daytime soaps have wimpy, overweight, unattractive men displayed as leading men in all these soaps either. Sex sells WAY more than violence. Just talk to ANY TV advertising exec. or movie producer. They'll convince you of this truism. They have mounds of research and data culminated over years of research to demonstrate this.

Edited by BRASSO

It all depends in the presentation. If the movie or TV detective show,has boring actors and actresses, and a boring plot, the movie can have a thousand murders depicted, and it'll be a total flop at the box office or on TV. On the other hand, If a woman takes her clothes off, ( or pretty close to it ) nobody cares about the theme, the plot, or if anybody is murdered or whatnot in the show. It can still stay on the airwaves if it has sizzle. Sex sells WAY more than violence. Just talk to ANY TV advertising exec. or movie producer. They'll convince you of this truism. They have mounds of research and data culminated over years of research to demonstrate this.

I really would like to agree with you, but it's not there yet.

Dexter was a highly praised show. Many people were talking about it.

Game of Thrones is a highly praised show. Many people are talking about it. An episode in the past showed a wedding where all mayhem broke loose and it was quite graphic. The same with recent episodes.

Janet Jackson had a wardrobe malfunction at the Super Bowl. Even her "naughty" bits were covered with appliques. A different kind of mayhem broke loose.

Well, if the requirement to comment on shows from BITD, was that " folks never saw the show", I think we could all agree here that this requirement would pretty much eliminate most of the DCP'ers on here from commenting on ANY show performance or its theme where they( your words ,in caps ) " NEVER SAW THE SHOW " . When has it become a requirement for posters on DCP to not comment about shows or its themes before their time in Drum Corps ? And this would be of course seeing and hearing it live, as we can all agree I would think ,that seeing and hearing a corps on old technology crappy audio and video tapes, or modern cell phones, or on modern youtube, etc is in no way, shape, or form the same genuine representatiion and great experience of taking in the show performance in Drum Corps live. So are you suggesting a new policy for DCP'ers that no DCP'ers comment on any show performance whereby they have ( quote ) " NEVER SAW THE SHOW " ? i think such a controversial requirement for future commenting by DCP'ers would pretty much eliminate lots of posters ( including yourself) from commenting on a Corps/ WGI performance, theme or no theme, where they " NEVER SAW THE SHOW ".. Frankly, I could not support THAT.

How did you get to this from his post?

Watching a show on recorded media at least gives you an idea of the theme and how it was put together. Where did your detour in to seeing a show live come from? THAT was never mentioned at all.

• Like 3

How did you get to this from his post?

Watching a show on recorded media at least gives you an idea of the theme and how it was put together. Where did your detour in to seeing a show live come from? THAT was never mentioned at all.

DCP is spiraling down awfully fast. It really doesn't matter what you actually write in your post anymore. A number of posters will just pull a few words out and head down the rabbit hole with them. It's kind of sad actually. I find myself coming here less and less frequently.

• Like 5

DCP is spiraling down awfully fast. It really doesn't matter what you actually write in your post anymore. A number of posters will just pull a few words out and head down the rabbit hole with them. It's kind of sad actually. I find myself coming here less and less frequently.

I tried to walk away and I missed being here.

There are many good things here and a lot of the commentary is great. If you feel that it's spiraling down quickly, stay and contribute to what is good here like you always have.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

Def. has always fascinated me with cultural thinking of, "violence is OK but nudity is awful. And nudity of a female is OK but nudity of a male = too graphic for R."

Then if you flip over to Europe, it's usually the opposite. Nudity is okay if done right, but violence will tack on a higher rating

You and me both. It used to be fun to come on here. Sometimes there was even good info to be had but these days I've just lost interest.

• Like 1

Watch the show on FN or youtube or whatever. But at least have a slight idea of what you speak before passing judgement on it.

Well read my comments before telling me not to comment on a show performance of a WGI unit that I have never even mentioned on this thread let alone comment on their show. I posted solely on the CONTENT of the subject matter as to its appropriateness for young childen, and made no mention of how such theme might be presented in an actual show performance by a DCI, WGI unit. For the proper context of my comments above ( apparently forgotten ) is was made in the context that a WGI unit voiced qan opinion in their show that most women are whores. I stated, in defense of that WGI unit that I doubted that WGI would permit such misogynist remarks during a show performance. The poster replied that it did occur. The thread then moved on to what subject matters are by name controversial and in this case the theme of Kama Sutra was introduced as to whether or not this THEME was appopriate for children or not ( again, one more time, I mentioned NO WGI has having an inapprorpiate show for viewing by audiences.) If WGI enthusiasts are telling me that a WGI unit had an inappropriate theme for children, but it was displayed in a harmless and innocuous way, then that is good to know that the theme.. while controversial to be sure... never crossed the bounds into inappropriateness for children in its actual delivery of performance. It is also refreshing to know that you have clarifiied your remarks so that you have made it clear that it is not essential for anyone to have seen or heard a performance live from BITD to comment on it........ Now, as for a WGI unit that allegedly called most women whores in their performance. While its of a sexual content remark to be sure, did this sexual messaging occur by a WGI Unit, do we know ? ( as claimed by a poster above) If so, was it appropriate ? Or are we libertine enough here to let remarks of apparent misogyny simply " get a free pass " because its of a non violent themed nature and itis really in the realm of sexual content, so its not all that inappropriate as a result ?

Edited by BRASSO

BACK ON TOPIC:

Love to hear what the DCP Intelligentsia have to say about POC 2010 "Summer of Love".

one of their best shows and loved . Thanks for reminding me of that one. loved seeing it again and in person it was freakin electric!!!!!!!!

Edited by GUARDLING