Boston and Cavaliers earned the same score this evening.

I'm pretty sure that's Debbie Torchia's doing though.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I have to say, I am consistently blown away at the passion that Boston alums/parents/members bring to everything they do, especially when it involves the corps. They just seem to have their heads (and more importantly, their hearts) in the right place. Congratulations to your son for making BAC! I love seeing them fight to make a statement and to express themselves this way - it's so inspiring! Plus, they put on incredible shows every year and they, as an organization, have their #### together. #BACon

I was very impressed meeting some of them at their souvie truck when they came here to the West Coast. I wear my hat all the time.

• Like 1

Different shows, different judges, BRASSO will surely point out that it means nothing and he'll be right, but...

Boston and Cavaliers earned the same score this evening.

Aw heck, did you have to put the word "but" in at the end of your sentence here? You were doing so well, and had it perfect until you simply couldn't leave well enough alone.

(haha!)

The nice thing for Boston about scores at different shows meaning nothing is that tonight Cavaliers at Madison were 4.45 pts. ahead of Boston at Jackson.

The nice thing for Boston about scores at different shows meaning nothing is that tonight Cavaliers at Madison were 4.45 pts. ahead of Boston at Jackson.

Also, big disparities between Kelly and Jones's GE scores. Surprised that their percussion is scoring so low.

Also, big disparities between Kelly and Jones's GE scores. Surprised that their percussion is scoring so low.

It just demonstates how subjective and opinionated DCI Judging is... here we have 2 very capable, experienced, knowledgeable, and honorable DCI judges looking at the very same things and essentially not agreeing in the least with one another.

Edited by BRASSO

It just demonstates how subjective and opinionated DCI Judging is... here we have 2 very capable, experienced, knowledgeable, and honorable DCI judges looking at the very same things and essentially not agreeing in the least with one another.

I agree with both BRASSO / chaos001. looks like the 1st time the scores were not consistent with overall trends to this point (GE and percussion).

I wrote a mini review for the Jackson show in that thread but wanted to congrats Boston (BAC) on their show. Its dark, intriquing, well staged with a

wonderful guard with strong content. This show should pick up steam as cleaning adds clarification. I counted two windmills but I must have missed the third if there are three. Nice show Boston!

• Like 2

indeed skevinp that's why i put in my caveat, that the opinion was produced by a limited view of the organization. but, it was echoed by my son, without prompting. that said, he loved Crown and was really down about not making it. then.... not a staff member, but the brother of a staff member came to him and offered to call other corps to see if they were interested in him, and a rookie no less. no less than 4 corps called my son. ...... and again,.... not that Crown needs any criticism and i really did not mean it to be interpreted that way, if you re-read that post, but it was a staff member's brother who reached out.

in view of the talk on the thread about whether it is Staff driven or member driven, i offer another POV.

I think all young people consciously or unconsciously look for inspirational leaders, whether they are teachers or organizational officers, someone who keeps them fully engaged. My son made his choice from the four corps by watching their shows on YouTube. From that, he came to me and said that Boston was clearly the place he wanted to go because of the style of marching, the type of choreography, and the music they were playing. He has said that the camaraderie in Boston is nearly perfect. He has also commented several times on how the staff does not hold the players at arms length. When I saw the shaming techniques being used at Crown, I realized that, although they would work, it would/might build a certain residual memory in that cadet being called out, and could have been achieved in a different way. The members never talked to the staff very much except in very quiet respectful ways, and that's good, but the staff would come alive in a normal way if someone old and gray like me walked over to them.

Therefore, I think it is a synthesis of the staff drive and the member drive which yields the spirit of that corps. Certainly I think we would find it would be synergistic if we were there as participants or observers, whether on staff or on the line.

So, with a nod of acknowledgment to the greatness of Carolina Crown, I don't think anybody is going to die because of the way they work, and there are many ways to skin this cat. The greatest thing of all is that young people are fueled up and infused by playing live music, striving for Olympic level achievement, and experiencing the strength of the individual and the power of the group without losing sight of either one. Whether it's the Crown or Boston Crusaders or the blue guys out West, there is some type of sourdough principle at work here, in the members and the staff, holding a culture in place for the next year of people to join their specific evolving journey and methodologies.

That is simply cool. Plus the stuff sounds so #### good!

• Like 1

I still think Boston tweaks some things, cleans the $&@t out of the show and can rival Cavies for 6th. I love the show. It's interesting, dark, cool, weird and that guard when clean is going to bolster GE because they are tossing as high as BD's guard. I'm still looking for that third windmill darn it. Help me BAC alumni!

• Like 1

Wow. Watching the Lawrence video, which is high-camera, gives me a real appreciation for the video crew at Akron, and their ability to present the show in its best light with the multi-cam product they created. They really knew where to point their cameras at Akron to follow the flow of the action (apart from the five-second shot of the turf at the start). Of course Boston cleaned significantly over the intervening eight days, but seeing Lawrence from that angle and imagining it more than a week dirtier, you get a better understanding of why both some DCP posters in the stands at Akron and the announcers in the booth were a bit mystified. (It doesn't help that the Lawrence sound recording is pretty poor.)