Two things:

First of all, last night's guard judge manufactured a 1.5 spread between BAC and Blue Stars which simply hasn't happened once...all year. He basically called the show, and he's not judging again.

Secondly, I have no problem with anyone's opinions on BAC's show...the very nature of which is supposed to engender thought and discussion. However, my blood boils when there are two posters on here (and you both know who you are) who claim to be supporters of the corps (one of whom is even a legacy alumnus) who criticize the corps incessantly.

No Ghost, it is not "tough" on me because I predicted the corps would score much higher this year. But it IS tough on the 150 members who have been absolutely busting their humps day in and day out to perfect their show while we have a couple coffee-room commandos sitting at their keyboards in their air conditioned homes second guessing everything they (and the staff) try to accomplish.

BAC 2014 has been nothing short of spectacular this summer, and the BACCG has been at a level NEVER seen before. And, for the record, for all the jibber jabber about the corps still being dirty, some folks need to clean their glasses.

I could not be more proud of this drum corps this season. Thanks you, Boston Crusaders, for pushing the creative envelope in ways that no drum corps has ever accomplished. Once again, Boston blazes a new trail.

Boston has always blazed new trails your right on with that (innovation). Boston show this year! nothing like it on the field this year ( expression). They have accomplish a great deal this year as a team and organization. I have great respect for all the kids in Boston this year and all that they have done with this show (captivating ). AS for last night not surprised. A top 6 great guard got disrespected for no reason what so ever IMO. Let the cards fall were they are (WDG).

Someone in the thread pointed out earlier that there was a voice recording in the show right before the Conquest shots. What I heard last night in the stadium was "All drum corps are created equal, but some are more equal than others." Oh snap. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out something else for tonight. I know that the kids are furious that they're being underscored and the staff is mad too.

• Like 1

Someone in the thread pointed out earlier that there was a voice recording in the show right before the Conquest shots. What I heard last night in the stadium was "All drum corps are created equal, but some are more equal than others." Oh snap. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out something else for tonight. I know that the kids are furious that they're being underscored and the staff is mad too.

I think they also protested as well.

I think BAC will break 90 this evening, and I do not say that as a starry eyed fan, even though I am. I say this based on last night's judging. The judges were all over the place regarding the Crusaders and while I did have to watch via Fan Network and was not in Indy last night, a 13th place in color guard baffles me. I did think the prelims performance was stronger, but I also realize that the AMC in Burlington on Thursday evening is a bit more advance than a Dell Laptop. However, semi's was still a very solid performance. I will say that while I find the G7 formation amusing, love the BAC at the finale, the "All drum corps are equal, but some are more equal" may be a bit of an overkill. Tonight, I do expect a great performance and this is not without precedent. In 2012 Crusaders went 8-8-7 and last year they went 10-9-8.

There has been a good amount of discussion about whether staff believed the show was stronger than it actually is, but I believe in the show's merits and I agree it has not fared as well as it should. I am not a fan of darker shows but the efforts fo eth kids sold me on this show. I also expected at least an 8th place placement if not 7th, however there were two things I did not expect this year. One was Phantom's recent performances. Earlier in the season I found Phantom's opening and closing powerful because no corps plays Tchaikovsky the way they do, but the middle non-Tchaikovsky music lagged. After Atlanta and Charlotte, I thought they would plummet, which did not happen. They've actually strengthened the lagging points. I also expected a Blue Knights plateau which again did not happen. I revised my prediction to 9th,and I think that is what we'll see.

Overall Boston Crusaders should be proud this year. They worked hard at a challenging and difficult show and persevered, even though the results have been discouraging. I'm also enthused. There is youth in the corps and obviously drive, which bodes well for the future. There will be a great deal of momentum for next year since the corps will be celebrating 75 years and no corps has survived as much turmoil as Boston Crusaders. If you told me thirty years ago that only one Boston area drum corps would be around today, I would have predicted it would be 27th Lancers. If the corps had a dime, maybe even as low as a nickel or penny, for every time someone, including die hard fans predicted "this would be the last year for the Crusaders" in the 70's and 80's, with perhaps 76,77, and 78 being the exception, they'd be the wealthiest group in drum corps history. A strong finish tonight would be a great way to begin the anniversary celebration. Critiquing and suggestions should wait till tomorrow.

• Like 1

I have been a BAC fan since circa 1962, when my father began playing them at close to full blast on the living room stereo. In the late 60's and early 70"s I had the privilege of marching in the Corps. There is no doubt that this year's corps is the most talented ever. The marching members deserve our respect, thanks, and admiration. Rather than feel sorry for themselves, they never stopped working and giving it all to sell the show. The show on the other hand is a different story. In their zeal to make a statement about DCI, the show designers themselves became part of the problem. Perhaps a different aspect of the "Problem", but in placing their own "creative genius" ahead of the real interests of the members, at best they missed a year of great opportunity. They had the talent, and the competition was wide open. True geniuses like Ed Denon and Gerry Shellmer made substantive changes in mid season whenever it became apparent that their ideas were not working. The post script this year will be "Animal Farm, a/k/a the Emperor's New Clothes".

• Like 2

I also expected at least an 8th place placement if not 7th, however there were two things I did not expect this year. One was Phantom's recent performances. Earlier in the season I found Phantom's opening and closing powerful because no corps plays Tchaikovsky the way they do, but the middle non-Tchaikovsky music lagged. After Atlanta and Charlotte, I thought they would plummet, which did not happen. They've actually strengthened the lagging points. I also expected a Blue Knights plateau which again did not happen. I revised my prediction to 9th,and I think that is what we'll see.

That will be three Hail Mary's and three Our Father's.

Your initial predictions TK.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

There's ben little chatter thus far. Last year it seemed as if there was more of a buzz.

1. No one has predicted Crown yet, so I'll have them repeat the victory, but it will be interesting to see how they perform as defending champion and not the corps who many believed was robbed in 2012 and 2009.

2. SCV will make the top 3.

3. BD I'm just not feeling a comeback.

4. Bluecoats-this will be the lowest they'll place.

5. BAC

6. Cadets

7. Madison

8. Phantom

9. Cavaliers

10. Troopers

11. Blue Knights--last year I predicted a major fall from grace for BK, based largely on DCP speculation, but not only was I wrong, I actually enjoyed their show.

That will be three Hail Mary's and three Our Father's.

Your initial predictions TK.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

There's ben little chatter thus far. Last year it seemed as if there was more of a buzz.

1. No one has predicted Crown yet, so I'll have them repeat the victory, but it will be interesting to see how they perform as defending champion and not the corps who many believed was robbed in 2012 and 2009.

2. SCV will make the top 3.

3. BD I'm just not feeling a comeback.

4. Bluecoats-this will be the lowest they'll place.

5. BAC

6. Cadets

7. Madison

8. Phantom

9. Cavaliers

10. Troopers

11. Blue Knights--last year I predicted a major fall from grace for BK, based largely on DCP speculation, but not only was I wrong, I actually enjoyed their show.

lol well that could'nt be more off...........but nice try..lol

BAC isn't the first performance group to mock its umbrella administration, in this case DCI. It's a valid, and often powerful theme that merits a top spot.

They're not alone. The Vaclav Havel play "The Memorandum" is often performed at Universities, and the productions usually mock the University's administration by having the actors imitate and impersonate the University Administration! (It's not a great play, but my point is that this "thumb your nose at the man" phenomenon is more common than you'd think.)

The problem with BAC is that it's incredibly difficult to stage a 13 minute performance piece that captures the themes and complex (and many) plot points of Animal Farm. Really really hard. There's too many characters, too many sub-plots, and too much complexity.

The current version of BAC's show captures some of the dramatic action of the Animal Farm story, and is so much improved from the beginning of the year season, but it ultimately gets muddy. DCI would be happy to give BAC the top spot, but not with a show that isn't crystal clear. In addition, the animals in the current BAC production have pretty much one emotion, one angry attitude, and as a result they lack vulnerability and relatability.

Edited by Brutus

Secondly, I have no problem with anyone's opinions on BAC's show...the very nature of which is supposed to engender thought and discussion. However, my blood boils when there are two posters on here (and you both know who you are) who claim to be supporters of the corps (one of whom is even a legacy alumnus) who criticize the corps incessantly.

No Ghost, it is not "tough" on me because I predicted the corps would score much higher this year. But it IS tough on the 150 members who have been absolutely busting their humps day in and day out to perfect their show while we have a couple coffee-room commandos sitting at their keyboards in their air conditioned homes second guessing everything they (and the staff) try to accomplish.

You started off diplomatically Craig, but all of a sudden, the Greyhound bus showed up! The post that got your feathers ruffled is as followes

"Don't think so emc2. The other corps shows are designed better for the sheets and have executed their shows better. The BAC have been chasing the majority of the corps in front of them since Akron in June. Last night was the first time someone typed that the Blue Stars have beaten Boston since 2010. It must be tough for those picking the corps to be top 6 these past two years and have them scramble to get close to 90. That's a strong testament to the fight in the mm. Nowadays, in order to reach top 6, you need a score around 94/95 if not higher. I just hope they finish strong these next two nights so they can keep the mm who have more DCI life and not have the corps fall back somewhat to a stepping stone corps. The whole organization is heading in the right direction, but it might take a little longer than planned."

The "it must be tough" sentence is only about the BAC alumni's predictions and is followed by a positive sentence about the corps mm. If the cumulation of your own seasons frustrations with everything around DCI/DCP has lit a fuse under you, I can only type that I'm sorry if I added to your feelings. To me, that paragraph is reality. Yes, my Crusader years were pre DCI which is when mm soon became more musically talented, some moved from corps to corps, and allegedly, slowly became less concerned about placements. So I feel many pre DCI Crusaders who still follow the corps and donate annually still have that "who gava's" about second place. Our heart rates go up some when the seasonal goal is several points off and the talented staff cannot make things better to reach the goals the organization has set. Someone on this thread typed that it will take longer and get back to them in 2020. My reply was the BD took six years of existence ("Created in 1970 out of a drum and bell corps")to win their first DCI title and tonight they will earn their 16th title in DCI's 42 year. But, the Crusaders are still kicking and clawing to get there. We will still support the corps, voice our opinions, and pray that within our life times we will be able to attend the DCI Finals when the Crusaders do not hear their name announced in the first 11 positions.

To all, from the Crusaders 1965 closer, "I wish you love." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXULRJWGViw