Blue Devils 2014 Thread

And of course we get a BD show thread on dcp with one vague hint at a movie and it's decided to make a list of all the foreign movies which are better than that one which was posted on BD's page.

A. We don't know that Blue Devils were in fact referring to that lousy Fellini movie. They may have been referring to the original work by Petronius--if they were referring to "Satyricon" at all.

B. I didn't begin to list all the foreign-language films that are better than Fellini's Satyricon, of which there are probably something like 50,000. I didn't even list all the foreign-language films that I've seen that are better than Fellini's mistake, of which there are probably something like 500.

I hope they will announce soon so that we can talk about it. I just love the Blue Devils.

(and all drum corps for that matter)

I have to say that BD has been winning me over recently. If you would've told me even 5 years ago (1930) that I'd be looking forward to a Blue Devils show announcement and to see what they do with it on the field, I'd have politely asked you to pass the bong.

Not sure why my shift in appreciation. Guess I just see them as the ones doing the best at bringing something legitimately new to an activity where most other corps are just trying to spin the old formula in new ways.

• Like 1

I have to say that BD has been winning me over recently. If you would've told me even 5 years ago (1930) that I'd be looking forward to a Blue Devils show announcement and to see what they do with it on the field, I'd have politely asked you to pass the bong.

Not sure why my shift in appreciation. Guess I just see them as the ones doing the best at bringing something legitimately new to an activity where most other corps are just trying to spin the old formula in new ways.

well, we know that they will spin wheeled tables on the field.

Well, the typo could be because they're still acquiring certain rights, but that's a stretch.

And of course we get a BD show thread on dcp with one vague hint at a movie and it's decided to make a list of all the foreign movies which are better than that one which was posted on BD's page

It doesn't take much to get me to talk about Fellini, to be honest. His 8 1/2 is one of the best films ever, if not maybe THE best of the 'movie-about-making-a-movie' pseudo-genre.

But I digress (though I might have to watch the Criterion Collection blu of AMARCORD this weekend)....

I do think it's pretty funny that a pic of a sheet of music has spawned 4+ pages of discussion. Well done, Blue Devils!!

A. We don't know that Blue Devils were in fact referring to that lousy Fellini movie. They may have been referring to the original work by Petronius--if they were referring to "Satyricon" at all.

B. I didn't begin to list all the foreign-language films that are better than Fellini's Satyricon, of which there are probably something like 50,000. I didn't even list all the foreign-language films that I've seen that are better than Fellini's mistake, of which there are probably something like 500.

Heck, that film is even low on just Fellini's oeuvre.

Also, I'd MUCH rather discuss great foreign films (of which, again, I would not classify SATYRICON) than the same ol' same ol' "narration bad"-type of nonsense.

Have you seen "La grande bellezza" (The Great Beauty)? It was directed by Paolo Sorrentino, won the 2013 Academy Award for best foreign film, and a Palme d'Or nominee at Cannes.

I just watched it twice through. Beautiful movie, very Italian. Critics compared it to Fellini's La Dolce Vita. Evocative sound track, includes music of Avro Pärt, Henryk Górecki and Annie Lennox.

I see SCV, our most European-like corps, doing an adaptation.

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 1

Being behind in my film-going of late, I have not seen La grande bellezza, nor Sorrentino's previous film, Il divo, which was also highly acclaimed. It is reported to be a dazzling film on political themes, along the lines of Francesco Rosi's work. (Stanley Kauffmann wrote: "We seem to enter a twentieth-century Renaissance court, crammed with egos and ambitions that are lubricated with lackey language, and at the hub is this taciturn godall caught in a whirling fireworks of a film".) Which corps do you think is best suited for political material? Vanguard did a show based on the Russian revolutions in 2005; VK did a parody version of the same in 1992; and Crossmen devoted a show to the theme of political protest last year. Or, to keep the discussion on topic: BD have arguably presented two Depression shows, in 2005 and 2009.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Being behind in my film-going of late, I have not seen La grande bellezza, nor Sorrentino's previous film, Il divo, which was also highly acclaimed. It is reported to be a dazzling film on political themes, along the lines of Francesco Rosi's work. (Stanley Kauffmann wrote: "We seem to enter a twentieth-century Renaissance court, crammed with egos and ambitions that are lubricated with lackey language, and at the hub is this taciturn god—all caught in a whirling fireworks of a film".) Which corps do you think is best suited for political material? Vanguard did a show based on the Russian revolutions in 2005; VK did a parody version of the same in 1992; and Crossmen devoted a show to the theme of political protest last year. Or, to keep the discussion on topic: BD have arguably presented two Depression shows, in 2005 and 2009.

Weirdly enough, the first corps that comes to mind for such stuff is Star of Indiana. Based on their Belshazzer's Feast (1990), Roman Images (91) and Medea (93) shows, they have demonstrated the Greco-Roman chops and dramatic flair to put on a swaggering socio-political production. Sadly, Star has forsaken us.

Of existing corps, I think Crown could best depict the mad cacophony of the political forum. Plus, speeches! SCV could easily project the noblesse oblige of the royal class, along with the wise fool counter-point. Besides, they just took on the French Revolution. And Cavies have effectively created many a show with a Brechtian mise-en-scène.

Blue Devils, hmm, a tough call, but I don't see them capable of the meta-contextual perspective to convincingly depict the pain of being human. They are too Apollonian, if you get my drift. Phantom's artistic interpretations tend towards the literal, nay, Manichaean, beheadings notwithstanding. So, no.

And Cadets? A big friend of the common man, they are, but too naïve and guileless to take on the brutal cynicism needed for political theater. That is a compliment, probably. I mean, they have a nice personality.