Oh Woe is Me - Blue Knights

Well you seem a bit confused now as all your previous comments on this thread has been about your BK's inability to crack the DCI " top 6 ".

No...that's not what I said at all. I said I "care less" about the corps breaking the top six than I do about them delivering a show that riles me from my seat. I care about both and it should be very telling to all BK fans that, year after year, they contiune getting roughly the same results.

Edited by noblegaijin

This thread is neither exciting to me nor one of the best 6 threads I have read this year. In accordance with the OP's value system, I therefore deem it a failure and will move on to read more successful threads.

Thank you for that personal public announcement. I found it worthwhile.

Threads like this make me laugh because some people have no idea what it takes to build a drum corps.

To the original poster, I'm not sure what sort of beef you have with the Blue Knights, but it obviously seems as if you have some underlying issue with the corps. Why aren't you saying the same thing about Boston Crusaders? The Colts? The Blue Stars?

You've asked the question "Why haven't the Blue Knights broken into the top 6 lately", yet couldn't this question be asked to about 15 other drum corps? Why are you targeting the Blue Knights?

It is SO hard to break into the top 6 with the way that drum corps is today. I truly don't think you can use placement to determine the success of a corps. The Blue Knights could have the most entertaining and polished show that they've ever had, but if 7 or 8 other corps are still better than them, then the Blue Knights will appear to have ended up in the same spot. However, the performers/staff of the Blue Knights will know just how much they have grown, and just because it isn't reflected in terms of a "top 6 finish" doesn't mean the corps isn't strong.

After last year, I am SO optimistic for the Blue Knights. One of the best 10th place shows, in my opinion. Seems the staff is finally starting to gel. I believe the visual staff from last year is still there this year (does anyone know who that is, by the way?), and know that the guard and brass staff are still there. The percussion staff has been upgraded.

Anyways, simply put, I think your comments don't carry much weight and I am not sure why you have this opinion. Seems you are just wanting to start trouble. Not sure what kind of "beef" you have with the Blue Knights.

• Like 1

For me personally, their 2012 show is on my all-time favorite list, going back to 1964. I loved "Avian".

Me too, going back to 1968. I loved "Avian"; visual.emotion.story.culminating music :)

I agree with the above two opinions. I loved Avian. Not since Garfield 1982 have I thought that a show could move the activity in another direction. Not for the sake of just a new direction, but something that came across as more fluid....more abstract.

I was all prepared to hate last year's BK show. Marc Syvester was gone and I was looking forward to seeing Avian 2.0.

I watched it, and then watched again. I love BK 2013. If anything could make me stop being upset about not seeing Avian 2.0 that was the show to do it. There are some things in it that just make me smile like the tambourine feature. How simple, how really quite ridiculous in this day and age of everything electronic but it was just so well done. The show just seems to never stop. There are pauses yet something in the show is still continuing during them. There are also subtle hints - a point in the drill where there are multiple circles on the field depicting the BK dots.

This is a corps that hasn't been above the 6th position. But I love to watch them. IMO, something is right in Colorado.

• Like 2

For the last 10 seasons Blue Knights have an average placement of 9.5. In this day-and-age I think consistent Top 10 is good: consistent success! More than half of DCI Quaterfinalists would LOVE to have that consistency!

As a BK fan, I can understand your frustrations if you feel like they are not producing shows you find enjoyable, or not progressing competitively as high as you'd like. I personally appreciate that their shows annually are "different." They have a distinct identity that many corps below Top 7 or 8 do not have, and I appreciate that identity. If that identity does not attract Top 5-achieving talent, that is unfortunate but OK in my opinion as the corps is maintaining Top 10 status, and have missed out on only 4 DCI Finals since the early 1990's when they first broke in competitively. I have varying opinions of their shows, but I do appreciate their uniqueness and in this activity identity + consistent Top 10 = huge success.

• Like 1

Threads like this make me laugh because some people have no idea what it takes to build a drum corps.

To the original poster, I'm not sure what sort of beef you have with the Blue Knights, but it obviously seems as if you have some underlying issue with the corps. Why aren't you saying the same thing about Boston Crusaders? The Colts? The Blue Stars?

You've asked the question "Why haven't the Blue Knights broken into the top 6 lately", yet couldn't this question be asked to about 15 other drum corps? Why are you targeting the Blue Knights?

It is SO hard to break into the top 6 with the way that drum corps is today. I truly don't think you can use placement to determine the success of a corps. The Blue Knights could have the most entertaining and polished show that they've ever had, but if 7 or 8 other corps are still better than them, then the Blue Knights will appear to have ended up in the same spot. However, the performers/staff of the Blue Knights will know just how much they have grown, and just because it isn't reflected in terms of a "top 6 finish" doesn't mean the corps isn't strong.

After last year, I am SO optimistic for the Blue Knights. One of the best 10th place shows, in my opinion. Seems the staff is finally starting to gel. I believe the visual staff from last year is still there this year (does anyone know who that is, by the way?), and know that the guard and brass staff are still there. The percussion staff has been upgraded.

Anyways, simply put, I think your comments don't carry much weight and I am not sure why you have this opinion. Seems you are just wanting to start trouble. Not sure what kind of "beef" you have with the Blue Knights.

Allegro - if a message like this ruffles a few feathers, so be it. I find BK's consistent output of sleep-indicuing, overly-cerebral shows to be condescending and offputing to the listener.

It's not fair to say the Blue Knights are failing - as many have stated, they are perennial finalists and that counts for a lot. This is old news though - why not turn your sights on the next evolution of your program and go for the top tier? What's holding them back? What are the other corps doing that BK isn't? And why is it taking so long to have this conversation and come up with some solutions?

When I marched in 2000, we were within a point or two of SCV throughout the entire season. Sometimes, we'd finish in time to cach a glimpse of their show and I remember thinking...."man, their show is so much more interesting and exciting than what we're putting out. What gives?"

I keep holding out for that moment when I say to myself, "yes - that was an exciting show. I could see that show among the Cavaliers, Cadets, and Blue Devils of the world."

More important than "taking on a difficult topic" or "making a statement" in some intellectual way should be the simple idea that a show should entertain. For one reason or another, this concept seems to elude the mainstays at BK.

• Like 1

Allegro - if a message like this ruffles a few feathers, so be it. I find BK's consistent output of sleep-indicuing, overly-cerebral shows to be condescending and offputing to the listener.

It's not fair to say the Blue Knights are failing - as many have stated, they are perennial finalists and that counts for a lot. This is old news though - why not turn your sights on the next evolution of your program and go for the top tier? What's holding them back? What are the other corps doing that BK isn't? And why is it taking so long to have this conversation and come up with some solutions?

When I marched in 2000, we were within a point or two of SCV throughout the entire season. Sometimes, we'd finish in time to cach a glimpse of their show and I remember thinking...."man, their show is so much more interesting and exciting than what we're putting out. What gives?"

I keep holding out for that moment when I say to myself, "yes - that was an exciting show. I could see that show among the Cavaliers, Cadets, and Blue Devils of the world."

More important than "taking on a difficult topic" or "making a statement" in some intellectual way should be the simple idea that a show should entertain. For one reason or another, this concept seems to elude the mainstays at BK.

I might be sorry I got in this BUT, why are you asking these things here, Why not as an alumni ask within your corps? In your last line you also expressed the word " entertain " well many here ( not me but there are many ) who feel those at the top or who have won have NOT entertained.

The questions you have asked here ( as another poster said ) can be asked of Many other corps from Boston to BS to BK to Glassmen who many felt bought 11th place slot for a while.

Been awhile since we’ve seen one of these from a BK alum, I thought that Folk Song Suite show was enough to kill this sentiment for a bit….but there was that alien bird dance show so…

• Like 1