Sunday's Crown performance

Trampolines did not add much, kind of distracting. Overall effect was: hey, look, people jumping up and down on trampolines.

I assume you were sitting in the stands because that is the only way you could reasonably make that judgement. You should let us know how it sounded live.

This show has some great potential, but it feels really disjointed at this point, as in I could clearly feel where the opener, drum feature, ballad, and closer started and stopped, but it's June, so that can be worked out. The space theme can probably be sold a bit more, and maybe some work can be put in during that 'muffler' percussion feature (it was too long and didn't have enough going on for my taste, but I do love that sound). I am glad they have an actual percussion feature as well. It was awfully dirty, but it's before the actual season, so I forgive that, and it has some good vocabulary.

That brass can play. Wow. 100 times wow. However, maybe it's too much. It feels like, "Look at all the notes our brass can play," followed by, "Have some big block chords!" There is some great possibility to make the brass book more melodic, so I hope they water down the technicality a bit in favor of that. And for the love of all that is holy, play Jupiter! You tease and tease and tease at the planets, and then when I can feel a big Jupiter section, you go into a technical brass part (which is quite amazing, but nowhere near as effective or interesting as a big fat Jupiter chorus).

Turquoise works much better in comparison to purple, but I still miss the cream (looks like it's gone for good). The guard uniforms are not great, but I've not been impressed with most of the guard uniforms this year.

Looking forward to see this show grow over the summer.

I agree. VERY Impressive some of the time then...

Did you even see re:Rite of Spring...?

I did. It was THE definition of field clutter. They moved the clutter around the field.

I'm trying to understand the original statement from the person who said this, but it just doesn't make sense to me, especially when they use BD to compare.

Sheesh, 357 users reading this topic. Hi everybody!!!!

Biggest difference between June reaction to Crown between 2013 and 2014...

Not a single comment yet about narration. Last year it lit up the Crown thread.

The people at my house who complained just completely ignored the performance this year. I figure why complain?

And the Crown-can-do-wrong homers have reared their heads. Heaven forbid someone offer a critique (I suspect you have a time or three).

If you don't think the 2014 is amazingly similar to 2013, you should rewatch.

critique is cool. recycled complaints are not.

we've heard the "crown does the same show every year" comment on here for a long time.

the biggest similarity is that they're using brass band music specifically written for compeittions. that music does share a certain characteristic: it's really freakin' hard to play! and it's WRITTEN to be challenging to very good brass players.

so... yeah... it is a lot like last year. it's hard.

Edited by corpsband

BD used like 100 chairs a couples of years ago.

Like 100 poles last year.

Like 20 mirrors one year.

Enough PVC poles to make the outline of a house one year.

10 something rolling tables, and 20 something chairs this year.

BD is the King or Queen of props.

My point is that they did not distract. It seems Crown is going crazy over props. All the props BD use are effective in what they are doing. When I saw Crown props for this year, I thought they were a distraction.

1930 had 40 chairs

Cabaret Voltaire was represented by hobby horses. And everything else they had was part of the Dada movement.

The 100 poles in Rite of Spring represented the 100th anniversary of Rite of Spring

The mirrors went well with the music from City of Glass