Judging system/score sheets

Exactly this. Thank you

You're welcome. I wish I could find all of them, but hey it's something. :cool:

You're welcome. I wish I could find all of them, but hey it's something. :cool:

The sheets changed a bit this year: don't know how radically. At some shows at least aren't they trialing a new GE sheet that is an actually Overall Effect instead of breaking it up into Music and Visual? I might be mistaken a bit, but I have a buddy who is a DCI judge that was talking about the change going into this season a little bit

*edit*

I found this that talks a little bit about the Effect change on the sheets: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=a172382f-8e12-4d9f-a807-096078c34c77

Edited by perc2100

The sheets changed a bit this year: don't know how radically. At some shows at least aren't they trialing a new GE sheet that is an actually Overall Effect instead of breaking it up into Music and Visual? I might be mistaken a bit, but I have a buddy who is a DCI judge that was talking about the change going into this season a little bit

*edit*

I found this that talks a little bit about the Effect change on the sheets: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=a172382f-8e12-4d9f-a807-096078c34c77

You're a LOT more up on it than I am. It's interesting to me, but I have no idea.

I *think* (could be wrong) when the full judging panels are in place, some of the math for the final score changes to account for the extra scores.

• 1 month later...

I understand where the individual judges scores are coming from, but how are the final caption scores tabulated? For instance, under the Visual caption heading--Visual Proficiency is 15.10, Visual Analysis is 16.0, and Color Guard is 14.50. The total score for that caption is a 22.80. What formula is getting this number?

GE: scores are added together for a possible total of 40. When a double panel is used the averages of each pair are added together.

Visual: proficiency, analysis, and guard are added then halved for a possible total of 30.

Music: brass, analysis, and percussion are added together and halved for a possible total of 30. When two drum judges are used their average is used as a single perc score.

GE + Visual + Music = Total

40 + 30 + 30 = 100

It looks to me like the smaller panels early season tabulate by adding whatever they have in each caption together then using an appropriate multiplier to get the same ge, vis, mus weighting. 20+20 = 40 x .75 to get 30 with two visual judges, for example. Could be wrong on that, I haven't retabulated a lot of early season recaps.

Edited by John Schmitt

GE: scores are added together for a possible total of 40. When a double panel of four judges is used the final score is half the total. (max 80/2=40)

Visual: proficiency, analysis, and guard are added then halved for a possible total of 30.

Music: brass, analysis, and percussion are added together and halved for a possible total of 30. When two drum judges are used their average is used as a single perc score.

GE + Visual + Music = Total

40 + 30 + 30 = 100

It looks to me like the smaller panels early season tabulate by adding whatever they have in each caption together then using an appropriate multiplier to get the same ge, vis, mus weighting. 20+20 = 40 x .75 to get 30 with two visual judges, for example. Could be wrong on that, I haven't retabulated a lot of early season recaps.

Thank you so much!!

I thought that Open class was going to be judged on the same sheets and the same scale as WC? There is no way the top open class (not even BDB or SCVC) are scoring 75 at this time. rant over.

I thought that Open Class was going to be judged on the same sheets and the same scale as WC? There is no way the top Open Class (not even BDB or SCVC) are scoring 75 at this time, rant over.

Yes, it is widely believed on these forums that the Manchester scores were in error. All those corps saw enormous jumps in their score: more than 14 points for Legends, as one example. I feel sorry for the members and their fans who are probably going to see a big drop at their next show.

That said, it is quite possible that 7th Regiment and Spartans rather than BDB or SCVC (or Genesis) are the best Open Class corps this year. Spartans were the top O.C. corps not so very long ago. We'll know better in a couple weeks.