Crown's hornline?

For sure. Butts heart for Crown fans because they can't grasp the fact that just MAYBE....a few people think that they aren't in a league of their own in brass this year.

I'm just curious, as I have no dog in this fight at all and am just sitting back reading the threat and being pleasantly entertained: how old are you and did you happen to march in a finalist corps? I mean that with no snark at all, just curiosity for context. Sometimes younger/older ears hear different things, which is totally normal.

To each his own

Exactly. And not the end of the world that I have such an opinion, either. And I'm not alone in it, obviously. Though lots can change in the next two months. I may eat my words and you know what? If I do, I'll still sleep well at night. Some people, however, appear to think their world will come to an end if Crown's hornline gets beat this year. Life much?

Edited by bmjfelts1988

I'm just curious, as I have no dog in this fight at all and am just sitting back reading the threat and being pleasantly entertained: how old are you and did you happen to march in a finalist corps? I mean that with no snark at all, just curiosity for context. Sometimes younger/older ears hear different things, which is totally normal.

I marched in a finalist corps in the 80s. :smile: Trust me, you're not talking to some young buck with untrained ears and no experience. I've been around the block a few times. :smile: Edited by bmjfelts1988

Well I'm just going to sneak in here....

Has anyone considered that the brass has a lot of time when they're not playing because they need to breath/rest? If you listen to the runs, how many opportunities do those kids have to take a breath?

Doesn't the entire low brass line switch to high brass? (During the muffler percussion feature?) I would think they would need a little extra time to switch, get their chops set, etc. before playing on a smaller mouthpiece. I've done the trombone to trumpet switch in jazz band and it has its challenges.

Especially when there will be a brass judge who doesn't care what your primary instrument is, but only what you are playing now.

Just my $0.02.

Edit for autocorrect. :-(

Edited by CrownBariDad

Doesn't the entire low brass line switch to high brass? (During the muffler percussion feature?) I would think they would need a little extra time to switch, get their chops set, etc. before playing on a smaller mouthpiece. I've done the trombone to trumpet switch in jazz band and it has its challenges.

Especially when there will be a brass judge who doesn't care what your primary instrument is, but only what you are playing now.

Just my $0.02.

Edit for autocorrect. :-(

Devils have a similar big switch over in their show as well - with nothing more than about a 12 to MAYBE 24 count break to swith horns. :bluedevil: Edited by bmjfelts1988

I marched in a finalist corps in the 80s. :smile: Trust me, you're not talking to some young buck with untrained ears and no experience. I've been around the block a few times. :smile:

I'm somewhat surprised. I teach middle school, and you've got a hardcore Millennial vibe from a tone, phrase and word-choice perspective. My guessing instincts must be fading with age.

• Like 2

I'm somewhat surprised. I teach middle school, and you've got a hardcore Millennial vibe from a tone, phrase and word-choice perspective. My guessing instincts must be fading with age.

You're right, they must be. And that's ok, I can relate. ;)

Seriously, I'm anything but a "hardcore Millennial". Browse deeper into my posting history and you will discover just how off you are in that assumption. I'll admit, I was no "English major" and may not always nail an "A+ English paper" when posting, but you can trust that I have a lot of years under my belt. Well into my 40s (and feeling it). :smile:

Edited by bmjfelts1988

Devils have a similar big switch over in their show as well - with nothing more than about a 12 to MAYBE 24 count break to swith horns. :bluedevil:

So BD has their entire brass line on high brass during their show? I had not heard that. Interesting.

• Like 2

So BD has their entire brass line on high brass during their show? I had not heard that. Interesting.

No, I didn't say that. I said that they have a similar "horn change". Go watch a video of the beginning of their show. I'm not going to do your homework for you. :wink: You'll figure it out eventually (I realize the videos thus far have been pretty high and perhaps not as easy to see everything going on). It's not the "entire hornline".....but does it matter whether it's all or part? A horn change is a horn change. Edited by bmjfelts1988