Live from Bayonne

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Felt really bad for the White Sabers, whose entire first half of the show was covered by drums hammering in the background. Surprised no one got a penalty for that. Their brass is really mature for this early and their flying start was highly effective. Huge ensemble tear in seg four probably held their score back from popping into the 72, 73 range.

Cadets2 was a disappointment, particularly their color guard. Their staff needs to start figuring things out if they wish to be competitive in this circuit.

Fusion should not have been so close to Cabs.

Totally agree on the White Sabers' horn line... I was in front of them at field level, and they were killlin' it. Great job for a first show of the season. One of the best small horn lines out there, on any level of the activity.

• Like 1

I think C2's guard is where their age limit restrictions become a problem. I understand why they do it, but in essence, it is hurting them. In all three years of the corps' existence, that guard is young, probably mostly high school kids. Not saying these kids don't have talent, because I'm sure they do, but when you look at the other corps they're competing against, all the local "stars" in this area all flock to Bucs, Cabs, and now Fusion.

It would be more of a help to C2's guard if they had some more experienced people marching. Again..I understand their reasoning, but it's been a glaring problem for three years now.

It would be more of a help to C2's guard if they had some more experienced people marching. Again..I understand their reasoning, but it's been a glaring problem for three years now.

I honestly do not believe it's a member problem. It's an instructional staff problem. They bring in all these Cadets alumni and superstar performers...none of whom seem to understand how to teach fundamentals, and at a starting level. Until they go *outside* the organization for instructors that know how to teach inexperienced kids, they are DOA.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

I honestly do not believe it's a member problem. It's an instructional staff problem. They bring in all these Cadets alumni and superstar performers...none of whom seem to understand how to teach fundamentals, and at a starting level. Until they go *outside* the organization for instructors that know how to teach inexperienced kids, they are DOA.

BINGO! so many smaller corps as well as bands hire the kid right out of a name corps thinking they are going to get that success only to learn very soon, just because you were somewhere successful doesn't mean you can teach. Why do you think some of the old time designers and staff are still around,

I wanted to see C2 come in and within 3 years turn DCA on it's ear and could have very well done it. I think Hop or whoever need to put more thought, more time and also realize it isnt a DCI corps and can't have the same formula and do not have 24/7 to do the job. Maybe they know it and just feel it's just the end that counts which is true BUT if they dont have the experience to play catch up all year and then surpass then something needs to change. As far as the guard is concerned KNOWING it has been an issue Personally I would have started with last years issue and work from there,,, Not repeat it...JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Guardling is right on the money on this one ,if you know for the last 2 years its your guard holding you back ,then t them started soon so there up to pace with the rest of the corps ,ohhhh sorry horn line holes till DCI is over don't want that in the guard .

IMG_5136.jpg

75FCE0E3-CA13-43A3-928B-24BC76D5B3E5-218

E5E68090-C4A4-4B9C-B8EE-C75FF1D56ED9-218

Ya know, even so many years later, pictures of Bayonne still make me happy.

What a great organization.

I know it's a pipe dream, but how great would it be to see that corps back on the field for competition some day?

The Show that Never Ends...

• Like 1

Your right about this one ,when it was all alimuni corps and exbitions pretty sure Bigdemen packed them in Huge crowds ,Or maybe because Jersey has a few big DCA shows later this season and people might not want to spent money to go to all shows You got Wanye ,and Secauas two big shows in July .I think both have 8 or 9 corps ,Another thing corps used to make tons of money on food and beer after the shows .Don't know if they still do ,but my quess would be they don't since DCA has gotten much younger in the last few year's .Some of the best times where after the shows ,1 Conn. Yankees always had a great beer party .so did the Brigs ,and i remmber a few good ones with Sunrisers .

Now they have Ensure and Geritol after the show...

I can do this - I'm 62 and right in there...

Thanks for all of the great comments on the show it's going to be a great season, the Cabs are looking forwards to Bridgeport next weekend. I have been with the corps for a long time and we have always had hard working corps. But the 2014 Cabs Corps are SICK in a great way. They never let up, they are so into the show and perfecting their craft. We welcome all to any of our rehearsals they are a treat to watch.

FYI Sopranobugle, The reason no penalties were given to the corps who was warming up during the competition part of the show was because the corps warming up were exhibition corps.

Hope to see you all July 12th for the 50th Annual Drum Corps Grand Prix, 9 competing corps, and 4 exhibitions, go to www.Crowntickets.com for tickets

• Like 1