Can it be

Just wondering: I do not follow BOA and am an occasional visitor to WGI events. In both cases it's due to scheduling. Every time something does not meet someone's standards in DCI, WGI and BOA and their terrible influence gets blamed. It seems to me that DCI has more influence over WGI and BOA than the other way around. So when something is not right in the world of high school bands and winter guards and drum lines, do the folks at WGI and BOA place the blame on DCI?

Based on more band instruments the fact that BOA had electronics earlier, WGI was the first to accept unplanned transitions and salute it as state of the art to me it is the way stated.

How can the drum corps we love be brought back to the people?

First ( and lastly ) scrap the entire current judging criteria system ( not tweak it ), and rewrite an entirely new one where somehow, some way the audience (" the people" ) have some say in the scoring and placements ( as they used to have for decades in the influence and the scoring in Drum Corps ). Absent that whiolesale judging system change, we are all just kidding ourselves here that in the future that " Drum Corps will be brought back to the people ". Thats fantasyland, and I really see no value in living in fantasyland.

Edited by BRASSO

People from prior generations are less likely to respect the current generation. People from the current generation are not really respecting what their brothers and sisters brought to the activity in earlier times.

I feel a lot older this year. The current generation likes where the activity is right now. To complain is futile. It's not what you/I knew. It's similar and at the same time it's foreign.

I see things that I really like this year. Yes, there are times when I feel this huge "I don't like that!" but I guess the one comforting feeling is that the feeling is more generational than anything else.

I wish younger people today would get familiar with what prior generations are proud about. I hope at the same time that my generation and those prior will accept that things change and what once was wasn't done for not.

• Like 1

Drum corps is no longer in a self contained bubble like it was back in the 70s. As pageantry and the marching arts have grown, influences have broadened and new organizations like WGI have cropped up. Staff and instructors often pull double duty, as do members, going from drum corps in the summer, to a competitive program in the fall.

All of this is great for the activity. It could be argued it's even vital for it to continue to grow.

If that means we see designs and trends bleeding over into DCI, I'll take it.

• Like 7

The only one who is satisfying their ego is you, drumguy. I personally love the "new drum corps." Sorry you missed the train.

Agreed

• Like 2

For me, hard to say. I used to feel closer to the OP's view, but having now seen many of this year's shows (albeit FN) I really believe there is a movement BACK to some of the things I enjoyed from long ago. First of all, improved preparedness of the corps for this early on is apparent. I think most of us will look back on this season as being one of DCI's best ever in terms of audience satisfaction.

I'm seeing more drills with discernible shapes, familar patterns easy enough for all audiences to "play along" in judging accuracy of movement and form. I see more tight block formations resulting in tight, massive sounds. Chords held long enough to appreciate, music breaks long enough to elicit applause and more. Many corps building-in more sustained melodies. Brilliant and colorful guard costuming. I'll even go so far as to say, a return back to separate corps personalities is emerging.

Has drum corps changed? Absolutely! Honestly, it all works much better for today's audiences than what I did years before on the field ever could.

Even the synth stuff is beginning to work for me!

• Like 1

People from prior generations are less likely to respect the current generation. People from the current generation are not really respecting what their brothers and sisters brought to the activity in earlier times.

I feel a lot older this year. The current generation likes where the activity is right now. To complain is futile. It's not what you/I knew. It's similar and at the same time it's foreign.

I see things that I really like this year. Yes, there are times when I feel this huge "I don't like that!" but I guess the one comforting feeling is that the feeling is more generational than anything else.

I wish younger people today would get familiar with what prior generations are proud about. I hope at the same time that my generation and those prior will accept that things change and what once was wasn't done for not.

I completely understand what you're proud about. However, this is the drum corps that the new generation knows and it's what they are proud about and love and you cannot fault them for that because they don't know any differently. Twenty years from now this generation will be acting as you guys are today and it will be full circle. It's purely generational.

I don't see a big difference between today and 20-23 years ago.

Drill was just as good back then, especially Cadets and Star 1993, Cavs 1992, 1995 - where they even used PROPS,

The only thing is that now they use a little bit of electronics. As long as they don't use the electronics to cover up for a lack of quality brass, (which if they did, everyone would know and they'd just end up embarrassing themselves), then who cares?

Drum Corps is a competitive activity, and competition breeds excellence and innovation. You're always going to have that corps or 2 who are going to change the game every now and then. Star did it, Cavs did it 2000-2003, even 2006, Blue Devils had innovative shows 2010-2013, and then you have what Crown did last year.

It just makes the activity better and better.

As long as they don't allow woodwinds to march....at that point, DCI would be dead to me. :P