Studio Recordings - Why don't they exist?

Quality is very high... but those early season recordings always sound "early season". The Devils used to have an open air recording at the pavillion performance in Concord. That was a more realistic live atmosphere recording... standstill so the balance was consistent and playing was pretty clean. Still was early season though.

A) LOVE studio style recordings (because I can't and could never march - $1 to Gene Bennett from the Sunrisers). So a big thank you to the OP.

B) I think there's a lot to be said for recordings (especially standstill) of the early or pre-season. It represents the original thought process, before in-season refinements. I find it fascinating.

Great topic.

Require? No, that would need subsidizing as some corps would not make back the cost that it takes to record/master/sell the tracks in the first place.

Crown sells studio recordings every year, but I don't know how well they sell (I know many of the members buy them - my 09 CD is one of my most coveted drum corps artifacts). For some reason, I thought BD and Cadets sold some, too, but I could be wrong.

I bought Crown's recordings last year of just the hornline...but not the combined show.

Edited by Liahona

Require? No, that would need subsidizing as some corps would not make back the cost that it takes to record/master/sell the tracks in the first place.

Crown sells studio recordings every year, but I don't know how well they sell (I know many of the members buy them - my 09 CD is one of my most coveted drum corps artifacts). For some reason, I thought BD and Cadets sold some, too, but I could be wrong.

I know the Cadets had a preseason one out in 2007. The quality was only ok though.

Studio time isn't cheap...that's my guess as to why you don't see more of them.

Personally, there are soo many shows that I would love to hear a studio-recorded version. And I would totally BUY all of my favorite shows. I know that I can pull live performances off videos and create an mp3 out of it, but I feel that quality suffers a bit---and couple that with the noise from the crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sounds of cheers but sometimes, I would just love to listen to a studio recording alone.

Do you think DCI should require studio recordings to sell? I mean, at least to me (though I know nothing about marketing), I would guess that they'd make a fortune off selling studio recordings of shows.

1) "studio time" (most corps who do this don't go into a studio) is expensive. Even a high quality mobile recording 'studio'/setup cost a lot. Mixing & mastering costs a lot. Why would a corps go to all of that trouble when DCI records/sells so many shows?

2) my no means should DCI "require" corps do that. I suspect it takes awhile to record, and I bet it would not be a moneymaker for most corps; I suspect most corps would lose money on the deal, and DCI is not exactly in a position to pay for that sort of thing (they do, after all, record each corps' final run)

I agree this is a cool thing, and I used to by the 'pre-season' CD's Cadets & Blue Devils used to put out jointly. But I know how much it costs to make those, and it's probably not worth it for most corps, or for DCI to do it

Here's what I think... and what I do know.

First, there is concern about cannibalizing an already-dying CD product. It's going to go away in a season or three. There will be mp3 sales of Finals audio cuts, and that's that.

When it happens, you might open the door to more non-audience recordings. There are some logistical issues, but overall, it is "doable"... but there would have to be institutional desire.

First, you'd have to do a recording at a regional site to accommodate capturing everyone. Basically SA or Atl. The best option would probably be Atlanta, as you'd be able to shuttle a corps to an area away from fans. Potentially the deck parks out there would work if they were a close roll from the stadium.

Second, you'd *really* have to close it off to the public. You'd have time for exactly one take, and any ambience like birds and cars... that's that.

Third, you'd have to consider the corps pushback that they'd neither want to play a run before or after a major show.

The only other sensible thing would be to send a recording crew around to housing sites... good luck making that happen in a reasonable manner.

I actually presented an idea that I think would sell like hotcakes and be a lot better... I'd love to see the drumlines do their streetbeats immediately after a show. 25 of those for $15 would sell like hotcakes. They'd also make for great YouTube promo material. It would add up to be about 35 minutes of audio, and it would be must-own stuff. Again... institutional will.

All those cool street cadences, funky throw downs, and clean beats all lost because no one captures them. That's a real shame to me. The "full show" always has solid media treatment, but some of the most fun drumline music is ignored annually.

I agree that studio recordings would be great. I would buy it. However, there is a simple answer why you don't see more studio recordings: corps can't make enough money on them. Believe me, if it would be a money maker, they would do it.

i'm in pro audio since 1974. studios are really not needed, just a quiet auditorium or church (like, no bus stop outside or subway underneath). no reason to have more than 2 microphones of quality (say, Neumann KM84 and a Sennheiser MKH30) and a pro audio recorder (Sound Devices). Done. i love the street beats idea. it would be possible to, say, record 22 bands in a row in Atlanta coming up! but it's a timing challenge, not necessarily a logistical one, (although likely!) as long as a quiet room was nearby for the entire day. a corps could record/practice before or after their show. even a perfect run through is not needed. splicing is very very easy (relative to 1970).