There's a certain corps that frustrates me

Also, there have been 4 different champions in the past 6 years, none of them being the "aliers".

I don't know who the " aliers " are.

I make mention of "The Cadevaliers". They are the rulers of the DCI Kingdom, and own the land, the peasants, etc in it. Not ALL 3 of the Cadets, 'Devils, Cavaliers are going to sit on the royal throne each year. But one of them will ( well, more than 8 out of 10 times anyway ). Thus, in the last 15 years ( since 1999 ) The Cadevaliers have won 13 of the 15 DCI Titles. Its a good bet that the Cadevaliers family royalty will rule the DCI Kingdom once again here in 2014 too when the dust settles too. But.. who knows... we'll find out soon enough, if I'm right.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't know who the " aliers " are.

I make mention of "The Cadevaliers". They are the rulers of the DCI Kingdom, and own the land, the peasants, etc in it. Not ALL 3 of the Cadets, 'Devils, Cavaliers are going to sit on the throne each year. But one of them will ( well, more than 8 out of 10 times anyway ). Thus, in the last 15 years ( since 1999 ) The Cadevaliers have won 13 of the 15 DCI Titles. Its a good bet that the Cadevaliers will rule the DCI Kingdom once again here in 2014 too when the dust clears. But.. who knows... we'll find out soon enough, if I'm right.

How long will it take for the cavaliers to not be included anymore? Yes they have 7 championships. but 5 of them came over a 7 year span. We can probably count them out for this year's championship already, so this will make 8 years without a cavaliers title, and the third without a medal.

• Like 1

How long will it take for the cavaliers to not be included anymore? .

In my opinion, without a sensible and reasonable transfer policy adopted and implemented in DCI, the simple answer to your question is :... "until hell freezes over "..

The Cadevaliers will continue to win more than 8 out of 10 DCI Titles over the next 35 years too in my opinion.

As the wise words of wisdom instructs us :...." doing the same things over and over again ( no transfer policy adoption ) but expecting different ( placement ) results is the definition of insanity. "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

To be clear, I am not talking about winning gold, because as Brasso pointed out, the odds off that are highly unlikely.

But let me say this, for all who say, it doesn't matter where they finish, ok I'll make a deal with you...I'll stop caring about it as soon as they stop scoring it, ranking them, giving out medals for it, and determining a top 12 to perform on the final night. If scores and placements don't matter then why do it? Don't tell me it doesn't matter...why have DM retreat to get the placements if it doesn't matter? Why does DCI list out the scores from the night before if it doesn't matter, why ppl here have a projected top 12 if it doesn't mater...why list out the recaps and who won what caption if it doesn't matter. Why have the Jim Ott, Fred Sanford trophies, high color guard awards if it doesn't matter...seems like some people believe we (I) should be happy said corps hasn't gone way of the doo doo bird, and just accept the fact and that it doesn't matter, these kids are working hard and we should be content with that...well, that's not how I'm wired. I don't care if we win, what I want is to be in the conversation and pushing the boundaries of excellence and less than that is unacceptable...(side bar, if corps is struggling with $$ and resources and the best they can do is 16th, then so be it, however corps I am referring to has not these issues).

So back to my original point, yeah I get disappointed that the corps I'm referring to huddles from 11-14th, and this year is lower than the a few previous years, and no I do not like it.

Edited by JKT90

But let me say this, for all who say, it doesn't matter where they finish, ok I'll make a deal with you...I'll stop

I stopped you right there.... because not a person on this thread has commented that " it doesn't matter where they finish ", so I see no value in wasting our time and energy by discussing something that nobody on here has expressed as their position.

So..... moving right along now..... what else regarding this topic do we want to comment on ?.....

Edited by BRASSO

Implied Brasso...perhaps not literally written, but it's not a far leap to see meaning. And regardless, that post was not intended to be limited to those who had previously posted a response either.

Edited by JKT90

Read the mission statement of any nonprofit corporation that runs a drum and bugle corps, and it will say nothing about winning a championship.

But, yes, the competition is the juice that draws the kids out of their homes every summer to live on gym floors. Very few concern themselves with coming home with a gold medal, or expect to actually win it. But almost all concern themselves with being associated with, and challenged by, an organization that provides the opportunity to be part of a world-class artistic production with huge crowd appeal. Every AA player wants a shot at the bigs. The judging system is the method to enforce and reward those high standards. In that sense, yes, the scores matter greatly.

The currently missing ingredient, though, is that there is little direct correlation between improvement and advancement in the rankings. These days, the scores do a better job enforcing excellence than rewarding it.

Happily, the marching members themselves keep a healthy perspective on it, not obsessing about numbers or placements, and keeping their focus on excellence and continual improvement

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

I don't tend to get frustrated much by DCI goings on these days-- I tend to reserve it for more serious situations, like my kids losing the remote.

Oh sure,....like Dad never misplaces the remote. Its always the kids. They lost it. Blame the kids ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

To be clear, I am not talking about winning gold, because as Brasso pointed out, the odds off that are highly unlikely.

But let me say this, for all who say, it doesn't matter where they finish, ok I'll make a deal with you...I'll stop caring about it as soon as they stop scoring it, ranking them, giving out medals for it, and determining a top 12 to perform on the final night. If scores and placements don't matter then why do it? Don't tell me it doesn't matter...why have DM retreat to get the placements if it doesn't matter? Why does DCI list out the scores from the night before if it doesn't matter, why ppl here have a projected top 12 if it doesn't mater...why list out the recaps and who won what caption if it doesn't matter. Why have the Jim Ott, Fred Sanford trophies, high color guard awards if it doesn't matter...seems like some people believe we (I) should be happy said corps hasn't gone way of the doo doo bird, and just accept the fact and that it doesn't matter, these kids are working hard and we should be content with that...well, that's not how I'm wired. I don't care if we win, what I want is to be in the conversation and pushing the boundaries of excellence and less than that is unacceptable...(side bar, if corps is struggling with $$ and resources and the best they can do is 16th, then so be it, however corps I am referring to has not these issues).

So back to my original point, yeah I get disappointed that the corps I'm referring to huddles from 11-14th, and this year is lower than the a few previous years, and no I do not like it.

The scores are just to drive the corps to push hard. How else will they have the motivation to improve? As shown by capitalism, competition drives innovation and excellence.

Perhaps more clarity...I posted this last year in response to something that was going on with Music City...it kind of rings true to what I said regarding some frustration...said corps referenced in this post seems to haven't figured out the difference in inward and outward progress (and perhaps I know more info on said corps than I should and probably just should accept it is what it is, anyway:

From 2013:

I think a few of the posters are misinterpreting the comments made by those on staff at Music City, and they are certainly free to correct me if i am wrong here...first of all, there are a couple ways you judge success and progress - inwardly and outwardly. Judging inward progress begins by looking at where you are, what you started with and how far have we come from that point. Outwardly judging success begins with looking at how you stack up against the competition...

You have to take care of your business internally and begin to gain momentum and gauge success with a different lense than simply saying you aren't successful because you haven't achieved this or that. You gauge success on small victories, how many kids returned to camp year over year, how recruiting is going, how quickly have we added members year over year, how is fund raising, etc...you get your backyard taken care of first, then you look outward. I believe those on the staff who commented are saying that from an internal standpoint, what they started with and where the ended a few years later showed a lot of progress, trending in the right direction, rounding the corner, can see the progress made, etc. And ALL of those are imperative to it translating on the field. It takes time to build from nothing, and in fact the accomplishments the staff members pointed out are all positive. Keep it up!