There's a certain corps that frustrates me

Almost every year, and this one so far especially. I hold out hope they will be more competitive but am usually disappointed...I mean just me venting here, but figure it out and do something about it. I'm sorry, but for me huddling in the 11th to 14th range just isn't acceptable...other corps have done it, so no excuses.

Ok, I feel better...not really.

Edited by JKT90

Move along... nothing to see here... move along...

Edited by Fran Haring

I was always frustrated with the corps that beat us every show..... Wierd part is I joined one of those corps later....

Know that pain but if the corps is still vital in this day and age.... :thumbs-up:

Poop

• Like 1

I wrote an article about this titled, "Who's Next?" I don't have it in front of me, but the question was, WHO ELSE WANTS TO WIN? I cited teams that made the top 3---how long did it take them to win?

SCV, BD, Garfield, Star: once they hit 3rd place, they won the next year.

Phantom: 2nd in 1977. They didn't win until 19 years later.

Crown: 2nd in 2009. It took them 4 years to hit it.

Cavies: 3rd in 1986. Waited....waited until 1992 to win.

Madison: 14th-->4th (wow)--> 2nd---> 1st.

Add the Anaheim Kingsmen, and we have NINE (9) (IX) (nuevo) DCI Champions in 42 seasons. That's pretty low, given the amount of corps that existed over the years.

Bluecoats: 3rd in 2010. Then what?

Glassmen have placed 5th more than once. God rest ye souls.

Boston: 5th twice (?). They "get by."

Spirit: a few whiskers away from winning in 1980. In and out---lately bringing up the rear.

Blue Knights: every year, we ask: Are they performing on Saturday in Indy?

I'm most knowledgeable about the Cadets' history. Halfway through 1981, Don Angelica (if u don't know the name, learn your history) brought together G. Hopkins and M. Cesario to "fix" '81's corps. They finished 7th, brought in Zingali, Sylvester, Twiggs, etal. and the rest is Drum Corps History. They had a plan which included identity, style and Cesario's Three Laws: Tradition, Innovation, State of the Art.

Look at Crown: once they assembled that Brass team, they were looking up. I've always said that the Bluecoats can blow and drum with the best of them; WHY AREN'T THEY DOING SOMETHING ABOUT MARCHING?

So, pick your corps. Is it about money? Ask Mr. Hopkins how much it cost to win in 1983. Their vehicles were stalled out more than they ran during those years. Their uniforms were being sewn from the inside because they were so old. I sincerely doubt they paid George Zingali, still the most influential designer of DCI, half a fortune to put together those crazy drills. Why did Boston stall? G-men? Why the heck can't the Blue Knights push past 6th place? And what about the Cascades? They made finals in 2002. Fluke, I guess. Pac Crest? Mandarins? Pioneer? etc? What are you doing to achieve?

(It's not all about winning, blahblahblah. But the way DCP'ers parse the recaps, there's something to say about the competition.)

Edited by Tad_MMA
  • Like 2

Almost every year, and this one so far especially. I hold out hope they will be more competitive but am usually disappointed...I mean just me venting here, but figure it out and do something about it. I'm sorry, but for me huddling in the 11th to 14th range just isn't acceptable...other corps have done it, so no excuses.

Ok, I feel better...not really.

Breaking into finals, or moving up into the next tier, is harder than it looks from the stands or on the recap sheet. Any corps that moves up does so at another's expense, and those teams are all fighting hard to move up (or at least to hold onto their rung on the ladder) as well.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 1

I am frustrated by the colts. made DCI finals once in the past 10 years, have never placed higher than 9th (once). Usually when they make finals it is 12th.

And in the past 10 seasons have hit 13th 4 times. Right there, right on the edge. And in 09 they were so close (.5 behind troopers). It was even more bittersweet as 2010 they finished 13th, Troopers finished 14th, but Madison shot way up and glassmen finished 12th that season, considerably above the colts.

And since then its been downhill, somewhat. While i think 2011's design (deception the jagged edge) was great, they clearly didn't have the ability to pull it off.

2012 they failed to break 80. and 2013 they improved to 15th.

now its 2014, i haven't seen the show, but its score has been doing poor. over 4 points below the troopers at this point at the same show. while i know it is early, its just not a good sign. I was really hopeful that "this would be the year", especially since Spirit has gotten off to a slow start. One of the best ways to improve in the position is to have everyone in your tier drop.

Oh well. Unfortunately the only time i'll be able to see this show is DCI Big Loud and Live (apart from webcasts) as they aren't going to any shows I will be at this season. I was very excited for the show, and I still am excited to see it. I just wonder if the show is poorly executed in a design way, or if the talent to fulfill the potential of the show just isn't quite there.

Good luck to the colts.

Thank you for having this thread, letting me cry on DCP.

now its 2014, i haven't seen the show, but its score has been doing poor. over 4 points below the troopers at this point at the same show. while i know it is early, its just not a good sign. I was really hopeful that "this would be the year", especially since Spirit has gotten off to a slow start. One of the best ways to improve in the position is to have everyone in your tier drop.

The best way to improve in position is to improve your corps, which I am sure they strive to do every single year. I'm pretty sure the Colts aren't sitting back hoping everyone else will just start sucking so they can make finals. That approach will get you nowhere.