Have the Cadets become the Blue Devils? What demand must they add?

As I stated elsewhere, I was at Cadets ensemble yesterday and really got to watch the show piece by piece. This show is loaded with content/demand and they just happen to be performing it relatively well compared the others around them. They still have to put more drill in at the end and the uniform changes will enhance the different sections of the show. I just think it's interesting if other corps come out strong, they are predicted to go undefeated and when Cadets come out strong they will peak early. Lastly, narration worked very well for me last night. It was an additional tool to provide clarity to the show from a "what" are they doing perspective. It is very well designed and performed show vs. last year where towers arguably disrupted the visual and guard captions.

Took the words right out of my brain. It's June (well almost July) and the Cadets are performing their show at a high level right now. One can only imagine what they will do over the next month to improve upon it. They have the vehicle. I have no doubt the staff will add things to the show in order to challenge the members more than they're already being challenged. Mark my words.

• Like 2

Body movement in general is not as hard as running backwards diagonally across the field and playing difficult horn passages, or the like, which has been the Cadets' staple for a few decades. Other corps have done a lot of running, but little simultaneous playing while running (Cavies perfected this in the early 2000s).

Rolling around on the turf or pretending that marching members are in the guard when they're not playing just looks like a bad high school band to me. We had to do that in high school. The band would do stupid dance moves during drum features. "Body movement" is in this same, awful, tradition, and it's almost never very demanding, but it's almost always overused these days, and most always worse than narration or thunderous goo ever could be.

But back to the point: what must the Cadets add to fully realize the potential of this show and what seems to be the unmatched talent across all sections they have this year (if scores indicate anything)?

The body movement that Devils Crown and some others have been doing is incredibly demanding, particularly with the level of detail they achieve it at. Its an increase in vocabulary. Writing it off as not difficult because there are marching bands that do watered down versions of it is pretty short sighted. Its like saying modern dance isn't as hard as running track. Its just a different kind of hard, and a lot of what these groups are doing is rooted directly in modern dance.

Anyone have recent lot videos of both drumlines from Coats and Cadets running the show? It'd be interesting to compare.

Here is a clip leading into Cadets' drum feature in the Kennedy section:

http://youtu.be/VqMHcucAJpM

When they do use the narration, it is distracting....and other corps are guilty of this as well--not just the Cadets......I will give it to them---they are clean.....I do want to see some of the more complex drill they typically do....I knew when I saw A&D in 2011---first show of the season--that this was going to win-there was a lot of room left to grow and layer. I know they have a very creative team, but they are late July clean-right now.

this show is the epitome of "safe," which is the exact opposite of the cadet credo. it kind of bums me out.

Honestly, I felt your pain in the beginning weeks of the season, but my mind has since been opened up. It is relatively easy for Cadets standards, but from what I saw last night in Jackson, NJ, I am enjoying the product they put out this year.

Honestly, I felt your pain in the beginning weeks of the season, but my mind has since been opened up. It is relatively easy for Cadets standards, but from what I saw last night in Jackson, NJ, I am enjoying the product they put out this year.

i don't care about "easy." i care about pushing out the walls of the activity. this show was state of the art, like... 15 years ago.

• Like 1

i don't care about "easy." i care about pushing out the walls of the activity. this show was state of the art, like... 15 years ago.

True. Definitely would love to see more of 1997-type drill, but I am thinking that Cadets are sort of in this mindset of "we've done a lot of tough stuff over the years and we're kind of over it now so what else is there to do" (that's just my opinion), so they're aiming more for a broadway-type production? That's just my guess.

They just understand the judging sheets of 2014 and have written an appropriate show. Demand for demands sake (ah hem.....Crown) isn't going to get the credit whereas placing all the right elements in the right place at the right time and linking all effects seamlessly together is going to get credit. That's why Cadets are doing well and writing as they write.

• Like 2

I did not realize that Bruno Zuccala has more of a role with the Cadets......Went to many a Cavalier practices - watched and heard him instruct...he is intense, but is really good at what he does and obviously gets results. I have no doubt that this show will continue to evolve.

• Like 1