Bluecoats 2014 = Garfield Cadets 1983...maybe

Okay, this is going to be a controversial subject but let me start by saying that this year's Bluecoats show is a transcendent show that I believe will be modeled and studied over the next five to ten years. I believe their use of electronics, synthesizer, amplification, amplified solos with efx, along with the colors and timbres they use in their pit scoring has not only been successful over the past 5 years, but this year it has reached a new level that I believe will change program design in the activity.

I bring up Garfield Cadets from 1983 because that show was also transcendent. Garfield changed the way we view drill and overall show design. Perhaps this Bluecoats show will not quite have that sort of impact, but I do believe the impact will be great.

For a number of years there has been great discussion about the use of electronics, amplification, narration, audio clips, and other special effects. Some shows have come close, but in too many cases the use of these effects have come across gimmicky and cheap.

I'd say that over the past 5 years that no other drum corps has used electronics and amplification as successfully as Bluecoats. Even when the Bluecoats have used some narration or audio clips, they have done so with great success.

For those of you that have seen their 2014 show, what do you think? Do you see them as being a Garfield Cadets 1983 (in terms of effect on the activity and on future program design in this modern era), perhaps a Star of Indiana 1993, or do you see it in some other way? Not looking for any fights, just good discussion.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

Okay, this is going to be a controversial subject but let me start by saying that this year's Bluecoats show is a transcendent show that I believe will be modeled and studied over the next five to ten years. I believe their use of electronics, synthesizer, amplification, amplified solos with efx, along with the colors and timbres they use in their pit scoring has not only been successful over the past 5 years, but this year it has reached a new level that I believe will change program design in the activity.

Since the pit and voice have been amplified and samples allowed, Bluecoats IMO have always had the best integration of all three elements. Some started in their 2005 show, the rest followed. What they are doing is perfected after years of trying and making things work.

If they were going to be modeled, it would have happened in the 9 years since it all began. However, I think they've have been pretty much on their own as to how it's all been integrated. No one else seems to want to do it as well as they do.

• Like 1

Since the pit and voice have been amplified and samples allowed, Bluecoats IMO have always had the best integration of all three elements. Some started in their 2005 show, the rest followed. What they are doing is perfected after years of trying and making things work.

If they were going to be modeled, it would have happened in the 9 years since it all began. However, I think they've have been pretty much on their own as to how it's all been integrated. No one else seems to want to do it as well as they do.

That is what he said. That is what Lincoln said.

• Like 8

I'd argue that Bluecoats this year are actually more a logical extension of 2001-2006 Cavaliers. It's picking up a style and approach that another corps developed, then walked away from.

'83 Garfield was transformative on so many fronts that the whole activity had no choice but to follow their lead. The shape of the show, the willingness to have long tacet time for the battery, the more pit-centric approach to writing, the level of integration of the guard into the drill, and the overall 'softness' of the guard approach (as opposed to militaristic posing, as was common in the day) changed the parameters for the activity.

I like Bluecoats this year, but they're not redefining the state of the art.

• Like 2

I'd argue that Bluecoats this year are actually more a logical extension of 2001-2006 Cavaliers. It's picking up a style and approach that another corps developed, then walked away from.

'83 Garfield was transformative on so many fronts that the whole activity had no choice but to follow their lead. The shape of the show, the willingness to have long tacet time for the battery, the more pit-centric approach to writing, the level of integration of the guard into the drill, and the overall 'softness' of the guard approach (as opposed to militaristic posing, as was common in the day) changed the parameters for the activity.

I think this is the most apt assessment. To maybe be a bit more specific, I think Bluecoats 2014 feels like the logical extension/mash-up of Cavaliers 2001-2006 + Blue Devils 2007-2012. I think this year's show, more so than maybe any other DCI production I can think of, is the best drum corps iteration of a WGI-type design. This show REALLY seems like a WGI show design 'blown-up' to work with a full horn line, color guard & percussion ensemble. BD have been pioneering this for style quite awhile now, but I honestly believe (in my limited experience of watching this show only a few times on FN) Bluecoats 2014 is the best production that molds WGI-design style with DCI.

To be fair, I think it's impossible at this time to crown Bluecoats 2014 THE next gold-standard in design trends. They've done a great job if integrating technology the last decadeish: better than most. This year is no different, but I don't think it's OMG revolutionary yet. Only time will tell. To be honest, I think Crown's integration of vocals and technology this year and last (especially with the preshow 'Space Oddity' this year and counting stuff last year) were more interesting use of vocals, as were Cadets 2005. I also think Cavaliers the year they did the PTSD show kind of blazed the way/laid the road map for other corps corps to integrate synth + brass line phrasing. I would say Cavaliers, Cadets, and maybe Blue Devils have been consistently good at integrating technology in their shows for the last several seasons: Cadets 2005 IMO created the template on how to win big with outside-the-box tech applications and while Cadets seem to be hit-or-miss they've certainly been "hit" enough times to blaze a path or others to try.

I think Bluecoats have a great show, and their pitch-bending thing is a cool idea for that REALLY works for their show. I've seen marching bands do similar things, one as early as fall 2003 or 2004 when they did the THX sound-demo thing on a synth/trigger patch leading into a big band hit/chord. A local band I worked with three or four years ago did a huge pitch-bend into GE moment, and another band 'copied' it the following year. While the pitch bend is awesome and obviously a crowd favorite, I'm not sure if it is a design technique that can be applied to many other shows.

If the OP is saying Bluecoats design sensibilities in general being the new 'gold standard' the way Cadets design choices & visual design became the gold standard in the early 80's, I guess only time will tell. Like I said, I think Bluecoats' strength this season is their "total package" + talented performers. This is their best product they've maybe ever produced, but in that broad sense generally the DCI winner every year has a great design top-to-bottom.

• Like 1

On the other hand, I've never jumped up and down giggling uncontrollably after watching a show on FN... until the pitch bend thing at the end of Bloo's show... :babies:

• Like 2

I think this is the most apt assessment. To maybe be a bit more specific, I think Bluecoats 2014 feels like the logical extension/mash-up of Cavaliers 2001-2006 + Blue Devils 2007-2012. I think this year's show, more so than maybe any other DCI production I can think of, is the best drum corps iteration of a WGI-type design. This show REALLY seems like a WGI show design 'blown-up' to work with a full horn line, color guard & percussion ensemble. BD have been pioneering this for style quite awhile now, but I honestly believe (in my limited experience of watching this show only a few times on FN) Bluecoats 2014 is the best production that molds WGI-design style with DCI.

To be fair, I think it's impossible at this time to crown Bluecoats 2014 THE next gold-standard in design trends. They've done a great job if integrating technology the last decadeish: better than most. This year is no different, but I don't think it's OMG revolutionary yet. Only time will tell. To be honest, I think Crown's integration of vocals and technology this year and last (especially with the preshow 'Space Oddity' this year and counting stuff last year) were more interesting use of vocals, as were Cadets 2005. I also think Cavaliers the year they did the PTSD show kind of blazed the way/laid the road map for other corps corps to integrate synth + brass line phrasing. I would say Cavaliers, Cadets, and maybe Blue Devils have been consistently good at integrating technology in their shows for the last several seasons: Cadets 2005 IMO created the template on how to win big with outside-the-box tech applications and while Cadets seem to be hit-or-miss they've certainly been "hit" enough times to blaze a path or others to try.

I think Bluecoats have a great show, and their pitch-bending thing is a cool idea for that REALLY works for their show. I've seen marching bands do similar things, one as early as fall 2003 or 2004 when they did the THX sound-demo thing on a synth/trigger patch leading into a big band hit/chord. A local band I worked with three or four years ago did a huge pitch-bend into GE moment, and another band 'copied' it the following year. While the pitch bend is awesome and obviously a crowd favorite, I'm not sure if it is a design technique that can be applied to many other shows.

If the OP is saying Bluecoats design sensibilities in general being the new 'gold standard' the way Cadets design choices & visual design became the gold standard in the early 80's, I guess only time will tell. Like I said, I think Bluecoats' strength this season is their "total package" + talented performers. This is their best product they've maybe ever produced, but in that broad sense generally the DCI winner every year has a great design top-to-bottom.

Yeah... okay... if other groups have done it before, then Bluecoats are not really that revolutionary.

Either way, it was a great design choice and performed VERY well. You pointing out that other groups have been doing this kind of thing for a long time makes it less impressive, but not less effective.

I agree they are one of those groups that have used the available technologies better than almost any other corps recently.

Visually, I think the Cavaliers are an apt comparison, but I agree with jwillis35 on their use of electronics in the music book. They're definitely stretching the envelope again this year.

Most corps have tended to use electronics as gimmicks or goo. Bluecoats' usage is miles beyond that. Sadly, they only get to be the Garfield 1983 of electronics if everyone copies them.

After seeing the Bluecoats live last night in Jackson I am not convinced that this is a trend setting show. The show is good but not great. Everyone says that they need only one judge to give them the spread that they need to breakout of the pack. Name the judge that is going to do that.

No one is willing to predict which one of the top four will drop a place or two. My money says none.

This is going to be the best season ever for fans. So lets just enjoy all the corps.

• Like 1