PPL Patibulation - Chester, PA -- 6 July 2014

Cadets are the leader with undefeated wins... but there is no clear leader

lol...

Some additional thoughts on the corps last night

Spirit - vast improvements since I saw them in Chambersburg - all captions much stronger. I understand they are adding a 30' tree as the visual focal point. You can already see how the entire program is written around it, so its addition will really help clarify. Brass has a very nice sound and the audience around me really enjoyed the program. Guard is effective and enjoyable to watch, adding to the program with class. Horn sound is very nice, full, balanced. Percussion is both well-featured and well-integrated. Overall their strongest offering in years and one I'd expect to grow and grow until finals!

Boston - obviously a very talented corps which is working hard. You get the feeling watching the program that the membership isn't "loving it" -- just from an energy perspective. Feet are the toughest we've seen from them - and in spots they are all over the place. Tempos very challenging. The visual design is an issue. I'd love to see the guard lose the "animal mask" after the first tune -- once the "character" is established... this would allow them to better emote and engage with the audience, and frankly, allow them to see better. The ballad solo was lovely - but gets lost all the way in the corner. The entire ballad should be restaged, including eliminating that compact block that marches into the corner. You're giving the audience some lush melody and it's mitigated with the current staging. Percussion section is very talented and I like the book - however again, visual staging isn't the best. Put the line front and center a few times. All in all this is a tough program that has grown. I'd imagine by finals they'll place 10-8 and wonder what could have been with a different design.

Bluecoats are in the big dance. Make no mistake - this corps could win it all. I get the distinct feeling they will finish 2nd in Indy - the program is/will be extremely well performed and extremely popular - however they will likely run up against BD or Cadets for the crown - and both staffs have such experience in that situation. Reminds me a bit of Crown 2009 when the Grass is Always Green program came oh so close. The guard is much stronger than I remembered them only a week ago, however the staging is a little far back from the audience for most of the program... Overall this is THE show of 2014 and it could very well carry them all the way to a championship. The crowd ate it up and lept to their feet with a massive ovation, roaring approval!

Crown, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, has an issue of focus in the program. I think it would be improved dramatically by trimming back a bit on the sequential tosses by the guard, the crap on the field, and the three ? "mosh pits" in the middle of the field with the brass & guard. Eliminate one of those, shorten the second tune / percussion break and speed the intro to the ballad and the corps has a real shot of repeating as champs. Brass is very good, guard is once again strong & percussion is MUCH improved. Well done Crown.

Cadets are the best overall corps right now - at least until they meet up with BD. Very balanced. The program is a master class in "focus" - the audience knows exactly where to watch and listen throughout. Multiple tempos and fantastic features, a wonderful brass sound and fantastic percussion once again. The issue with this program is a lack of "wow" moments. I'd suggest they shorten a bit of part 1 & part 2 and add to the end. They need a few wow moments in drill, as the program gets a little dull. You are obviously drawn in by the focused design and wonderful execution - but the drama is missing. Cadets are masters at tweaking programs and it will be interesting to see where they take this one. Could be all the way to #11, time will tell!

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

The Cadets haven't been pulling ahead at all. These three are within .5 total score and trading subcaptions 3 ways. Cadets are the leader with undefeated wins... but there is no clear leader. Also, as someone else suggested... "Crown has a lot of pressure on them as current champions...". I don't think this is remotely true considering their obvious competitive standing. No current champion ever has pressure to win... they only are under pressure to consistently demonstrate that they could win and are therefore contenders. This is where the Bluedevils and Cadets are at every year, and it certainly is where Crown is at right now. The concept of pressure on the champion is an overstated and misplaced myth... especially given that consecutive wins are unique and somewhat uncommon (particularly 3 consecutive wins).

I do not mean they're running away with it. But it is true that:

7/6: Cadets lead by 0.6

7/5: Cadets lead by 0.45

6/29 and 7/3: Cadets lead by 0.4

That's all I'm saying -- Cadets maintaining and slightly widening their lead. GE has consistently been in their corner, and they also tend lately to do well in Visual Proficiency and Percussion, about 0.2 down in Brass.

lol...

Some additional thoughts on the corps last night

Spirit - vast improvements since I saw them in Chambersburg - all captions much stronger. I understand they are adding a 30' tree as the visual focal point. You can already see how the entire program is written around it, so its addition will really help clarify. Brass has a very nice sound and the audience around me really enjoyed the program. Guard is effective and enjoyable to watch, adding to the program with class. Horn sound is very nice, full, balanced. Percussion is both well-featured and well-integrated. Overall their strongest offering in years and one I'd expect to grow and grow until finals!

Boston - obviously a very talented corps which is working hard. You get the feeling watching the program that the membership isn't "loving it" -- just from an energy perspective. Feet are the toughest we've seen from them - and in spots they are all over the place. Tempos very challenging. The visual design is an issue. I'd love to see the guard lose the "animal mask" after the first tune -- once the "character" is established... this would allow them to better emote and engage with the audience, and frankly, allow them to see better. The ballad solo was lovely - but gets lost all the way in the corner. The entire ballad should be restaged, including eliminating that compact block that marches into the corner. You're giving the audience some lush melody and it's mitigated with the current staging. Percussion section is very talented and I like the book - however again, visual staging isn't the best. Put the line front and center a few times. All in all this is a tough program that has grown. I'd imagine by finals they'll place 10-8 and wonder what could have been with a different design.

Bluecoats are in the big dance. Make no mistake - this corps could win it all. I get the distinct feeling they will finish 2nd in Indy - the program is/will be extremely well performed and extremely popular - however they will likely run up against BD or Cadets for the crown - and both staffs have such experience in that situation. Reminds me a bit of Crown 2009 when the Grass is Always Green program came oh so close. The guard is much stronger than I remembered them only a week ago, however the staging is a little far back from the audience for most of the program... Overall this is THE show of 2014 and it could very well carry them all the way to a championship. The crowd ate it up and lept to their feet with a massive ovation, roaring approval!

Crown, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, has an issue of focus in the program. I think it would be improved dramatically by trimming back a bit on the sequential tosses by the guard, the crap on the field, and the three ? "mosh pits" in the middle of the field with the brass & guard. Eliminate one of those, shorten the second tune / percussion break and speed the intro to the ballad and the corps has a real shot of repeating as champs. Brass is very good, guard is once again strong & percussion is MUCH improved. Well done Crown.

Cadets are the best overall corps right now - at least until they meet up with BD. Very balanced. The program is a master class in "focus" - the audience knows exactly where to watch and listen throughout. Multiple tempos and fantastic features, a wonderful brass sound and fantastic percussion once again. The issue with this program is a lack of "wow" moments. I'd suggest they shorten a bit of part 1 & part 2 and add to the end. They need a few wow moments in drill, as the program gets a little dull. You are obviously drawn in by the focused design and wonderful execution - but the drama is missing. Cadets are masters at tweaking programs and it will be interesting to see where they take this one. Could be all the way to #11, time will tell!

Excellent analysis of these corps...PPL was a great venue for enjoying and comparing the performances. Bluecoats had incredible power and maturity, slightly diluted, IMHO, by over-reliance on synth brass to augment the 'real' guys out there. Guard and percussion were top notch.

Crown displayed impressive chops all over the place, but maybe too many props in the mix...and if anything their excellent percussion is given too much feature time while the brass take a lengthy breather.

Cadets definitely need a couple of additional crowd-grabbing moments, woven into the drill (not just for the sake of adding wow); but in terms of a musically-nuanced brass sound....not the loudest, but unadulterated by synth, they are superb; and the field judge was having difficulty last night staying with the battery while they executed sustained high speed drill, playing a variety of technically/musically challenging phrase sequences.

Really enjoyable night with perfect conditions and a nice crowd.

The Cadets show is well executed, and has a lot going for it, and its entertaining and it will score well. But this 2014 show from them is far from cutting edge, nor is it anything remotely like " The Zone ", Championship Show, which was definately edgy and cutting edge, imo. This 2014 Cadets show is heavy on " This- is- what- I believe ", updated to " This- is- what - I- believe, and- we're- pretty- sure- this- is- what- all- you- Patriotic- Americans- believe", Americana heartstrings pull show we get almost like clockwork from the Cadets each and every decade or so. Whats next year, something from Bernstein, or WSS ? The formulaic cycle we get from The Cadets is generally a show that is cutting edge, that causes some level of controversy, followed up with a show meant to stifle those forces out there with a show meant to pander to audiences. But it all works. Thats because when you have talented marchers, coupled with name talent staff ( You're the 2nd wheel in the Cadevaliers Trifecta ),.. its no exgaggeration... you can literally play " Jingle Bells " and be guaranteed the judges will love it and you'll finish in the top 3 of DCI if you are The Cadets.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Bluecoats being so decisively ahead in Visual Analysis is making me feel like we're living in Bizarro Drum Corps World.

• Like 1

The Cadets show is well executed, and has a lot going for it, and its entertaining and it will score well. But this 2014 show from them is far from cutting edge, nor is it anything remotely like " The Zone ", Championship Show, which was cutting edge. This 2014 Cadets show is heavy on " This- is- what- I believe ", updated to " This- is- what - believe, and- we're- pretty- sure- this- is- what- all- you- Patriotic- Americans- believe", Americana heartstrings pull show we get almost like clockwork from the Cadets each and every decade or so. Whats next year, something from Bernstein, or WSS ? The formulaic cycle we get from The Cadets is generally a show that is cutting edge, that causes some level of controversy, followed up with a show meant to stifle those forces out there with a show meant to pander to audiences. But it all works. Thats because when you have talented marchers, coupled with name talent staff,.. its no joke... you can literally play " Jingle Bells " and be guaranteed to finish in the top 3 of DCI if you are The Cadets.

And yet....there they are in the midst of a bunch of 'cutting edge' shows......'old school' works when the 'name staff' expertly selects, nurtures and guides a group of talented and committed kids. Cutting edge is most significant, IMHO, when it is matched with uber musicianship and clean marching.

The Cadets show is well executed, and has a lot going for it, and its entertaining and it will score well. But this 2014 show from them is far from cutting edge, nor is it anything remotely like " The Zone ", Championship Show, which was definately edgy and cutting edge, imo. This 2014 Cadets show is heavy on " This- is- what- I believe ", updated to " This- is- what - I- believe, and- we're- pretty- sure- this- is- what- all- you- Patriotic- Americans- believe", Americana heartstrings pull show we get almost like clockwork from the Cadets each and every decade or so. Whats next year, something from Bernstein, or WSS ? The formulaic cycle we get from The Cadets is generally a show that is cutting edge, that causes some level of controversy, followed up with a show meant to stifle those forces out there with a show meant to pander to audiences. But it all works. Thats because when you have talented marchers, coupled with name talent staff ( You're the 2nd wheel in the Cadevaliers Trifecta ),.. its no exgaggeration... you can literally play " Jingle Bells " and be guaranteed the judges will love it and you'll finish in the top 3 of DCI if you are The Cadets.

Besides the dry mechanics of a winning show (performance and ensemble captions averaging out at least Top 3; effect judged to be Top 2 or 3), the only other pattern I see in championship shows in the 2000s is they tend to be "spectacles". There are exceptions (perhaps Cavies 2001 and 2004; BD 2003 and 2007).

I don't think Cadets 2014 qualifies as a spectacle, one might call it more "pageantry"? But that doesn't mean it won't win, and that doesn't mean it won't be judged "effective". If it does win, and especially if it wins GE, it could be a show talked about for a few years to come -- about how they managed in the 2000s to design, perform, and win with a show without kills, nutty characters, black holes or chairs, on-field battles, and insane breakneck drill.

At cadets ensemble. Only three tenors right now. Hope they are OK.

This section is the most beat up in the corps right now.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Blue was a amazing. Huge standing O

Percussion was strong. Guard is very talented. Brass is a big wow

Massive audience ovation!!!

Could take it all in indy

That's a very big "could take it all in Indy". As much as I like blue this year, it is not the show that will take it all.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

If Crown's GE scores were matching their music and visual, they'd probably be on top. Interested to see what they do over the 6 days they're taking off to fix that.

This is the second time Crown has taken some time off to fix things.

Irving

Fan of the Arts