Cadets vs. Crown

I'm sure to get flamed for this, but here goes:

Frankly, I think the idea that the fans know better than the instructional/design staffs who are in critique with and receiving detailed commentary from the judges is pretty funny. I'm sure such emails have been sent, but lets not kid ourselves. As a designer and instructor I've had parents/volunteers make suggestions from time to time, and I always try to be as gracious as possible, but for the most part, I'm not taking much of it very seriously (of course from time to time there's a good idea). I don't give the chef at a restaurant suggestions on how he could make his dishes better, whether I liked what I had or not.

Does anyone really think that the design staff at Crown hasn't considered whether or not the trampolines are helping or hurting their cause?

Your points are well taken, and I mean that with no facectiousness intended. That being said, I still think the trampolines are a useless distraction.

Peace,

Fred O.

just wondering........it seems the above sentiments about clutter and especially the trampolines is pretty obviously universal with a large portion of the fans.....has anyone ever actually tried to contact Crown's staff that deal with different show elements?....like visual designers, director...etc. I mean if the staff was contacted at this point in the season, would they do anything about it? If something was changed, it could definitely increase their chances of another repeat, I would think that would be enough motivation to clean up the show.I still love the show, but I would enjoy it even more without so many props on the field.

I can't imagine a DCI show designer, the reigning Champion DCI show designer no less, would take unsolicited emails from random anonymous fans. They know what they're doing, and are getting likely more than enough feedback from DCI judges to decide what changes they need to make to their production. Looking at tonight's Lynn, MA recap their vis scores seem to be mostly fine: .15 behind first in overall Vis, and winning one of the vis. comp. subs (Vis. Proficiency). I agree with others that they might need to visually tweak/refine their program a bit, but I suspect the specific commentary from DCI judges in critique and on tapes will have FAR more meaning than random fan emails.

I can't imagine a DCI show designer, the reigning Champion DCI show designer no less, would take unsolicited emails from random anonymous fans. They know what they're doing, and are getting likely more than enough feedback from DCI judges to decide what changes they need to make to their production. Looking at tonight's Lynn, MA recap their vis scores seem to be mostly fine: .15 behind first in overall Vis, and winning one of the vis. comp. subs (Vis. Proficiency). I agree with others that they might need to visually tweak/refine their program a bit, but I suspect the specific commentary from DCI judges in critique and on tapes will have FAR more meaning than random fan emails.

Even the best designers make mistakes sometimes. Crown could be planning some awesome effect with the trampolines that will blow everyone away once it's added. Or it could be that trampolines just sounded cooler on paper than they are in real life, and the Crown team is also scratching their heads right now.

The judges give them suggestions in critique and i am sure the staff pays attention to those ones.

Im speaking as a teacher that has went to a critique.

Judges dont know what they want. Judges will tell you opposite things. They will tell you what you already know.

Literally this winter a judge told us that we need to change the uniform to different colors, another said change the pants, and the third said the uniform was great. These were all at the same show. Then one judge literally just told us that the show fell apart (like we didnt know we wrote it).

Im speaking as a teacher that has went to a critique.

Judges dont know what they want. Judges will tell you opposite things. They will tell you what you already know.

Literally this winter a judge told us that we need to change the uniform to different colors, another said change the pants, and the third said the uniform was great. These were all at the same show. Then one judge literally just told us that the show fell apart (like we didnt know we wrote it).

Lol have to love judge's tapes. Judges are great for getting additional educated feedback about your show. Yes, most of them will have their own unique opinions on stuff but that's exactly what you want. The designers use these tapes as just an extra brain in the creative process to throw out ideas and opinions that the rest of the staff might not have thought of before. No staff should ever take what each and every judge tells them to do and put that into their show. They just pick their brains and do what they think is best for their show.

Anyone remember the dude rolling the big drum around the field randomly last season? Or the first ending? They connected that pretty well by the end of the season don't cha think?

Yes but that was two large drums on a field. This is trampolines, a bunch of circles filled with interesting choices of pit equipment, frisbees and more that I'm missing I'm pretty sure. It's like BD 2013 except now all of the items are larger and not identical so it's incredibly confusing.

Even the best designers make mistakes sometimes. Crown could be planning some awesome effect with the trampolines that will blow everyone away once it's added. Or it could be that trampolines just sounded cooler on paper than they are in real life, and the Crown team is also scratching their heads right now.

Oh for sure; I didn't mean to imply the show is perfect as is, or that Crown's design team is infallible. Right now their show seems very much like a "work in progress," perhaps more so than the other current Top 4. Maybe I'm giving them more credit than they deserve, but when I last saw their show a week or so ago (whenever their more recent FN show was from) I kept thinking, "there HAS to be more to these trampolines that we're not seeing yet/hasn't been added in." Maybe not: we'll find out in a few weeks. The good news for Crown fans is they are still very much competitive/in the hunt and if they can get their ideas on the field in the most effective way possible (and clean the snot out of everything visually), they will still have a great chance of repeating or medaling. Maybe you're right, and the trampolines just aren't what they thought, or are too difficult for members to pull off what Crown's designers originally had in mind & they're "stuck" with them. Either way they've not radically stumbled at this point, and we don't know when/if those trampolines will become mind-blowing GE generators

Your points are well taken, and I mean that with no facectiousness intended. That being said, I still think the trampolines are a useless distraction.

Peace,

Fred O.

I heard whomever Dan Potter interviewed from Crown on one of his Field Pass segments say that they were still working on utiliizing the trampolines more but were not comfortable putting it in the show yet because of fear that some of the kids might get injured.