Cadets vs. Crown

After attending the Bristol, RI show a couple of days ago I have been wondering what the best approach to the season is. I found a stark contrast to what Crown was doing vs. what the Cadets were doing. Both corps are obviously excelling at a high level at this point in the season and there is little doubt in my mind that they will both be in the top 4. Crown has so many things going on in the show at this point. It appears they have added every single bell and whistle already. The Cadets on the other hand have a very polished show but at this point it is marginally connecting with the audience i.e.(there aren't a lot of oohs and aahs). The Cadets in the past have frequenlty added more as they go and I have no doubt the finishing touches will be there before Allentown. I guess where I'm going with this is has Crown given away too much too early? Does it make sense to have all of the design elements there before you step off in June, or is it best to clean the skeleton of the show and top it off with the gravy as you go?

The Cadets on the other hand have a very polished show but at this point it is marginally connecting with the audience i.e.(there aren't a lot of oohs and aahs).

I don't know about the reactions at shows except for what I read here on DCP.

During the preseason, there seemed to be more than a few people who were concerned about Cadets show. Some of those were alumni.

If you compare discussions during the preseason to what people have been saying after viewing the show, I think it's connecting much better than a lot of people expected. In fact, some people are now raving about it.

Edited by Lincoln

I feel that CROWNS show has such an open idea that they can add whatever they want. Cadets are a little more limited with what they can do. Crown will be adding more to the end and will probably have something "out of this world" to reveal during Finals.

• Like 1

I think Crown should re-explore some of the ideas they were experimenting with in 2009 pre-tour camps. They were attaching hoses to horns via lead pipes, so somebody playing on their horn is on the 30, where as the sound is coming out of another one 15-20 yds away. Another thing they were trying was taking the mouthpiece & attaching it hose which was attached to a funnel, so they'd buzz and swing it around/above their heads, creating a pretty unique and "out of this world" sound. I want to also say they tried getting permission from DCI to put bari sax mouthpieces on the contras to make another "other worldly" sound. I think they got the permission, but decided to scrap all of these ideas. Why revisit them? I dunno, add some "alien-esque" sound features to the show- might work better than the trampolines currently do.

After attending the Bristol, RI show a couple of days ago I have been wondering what the best approach to the season is. I found a stark contrast to what Crown was doing vs. what the Cadets were doing. Both corps are obviously excelling at a high level at this point in the season and there is little doubt in my mind that they will both be in the top 4. Crown has so many things going on in the show at this point. It appears they have added every single bell and whistle already. The Cadets on the other hand have a very polished show but at this point it is marginally connecting with the audience i.e.(there aren't a lot of oohs and aahs). The Cadets in the past have frequenlty added more as they go and I have no doubt the finishing touches will be there before Allentown. I guess where I'm going with this is has Crown given away too much too early? Does it make sense to have all of the design elements there before you step off in June, or is it best to clean the skeleton of the show and top it off with the gravy as you go?

I'm not really answering your question here in my response...

I see this year as very ironic between the two...Cadets whom I'd expect to see tons of stuff (other than the stage) doesn't have much and Crown whom I'd expect not a lot of stuff has definitely cluttered the field.

Crown doesn't need to add. They need to subtract and clarify the message. The trampolines should be the first to go.

just wondering........it seems the above sentiments about clutter and especially the trampolines is pretty obviously universal with a large portion of the fans.....has anyone ever actually tried to contact Crown's staff that deal with different show elements?....like visual designers, director...etc. I mean if the staff was contacted at this point in the season, would they do anything about it? If something was changed, it could definitely increase their chances of another repeat, I would think that would be enough motivation to clean up the show.I still love the show, but I would enjoy it even more without so many props on the field.

just wondering........it seems the above sentiments about clutter and especially the trampolines is pretty obviously universal with a large portion of the fans.....has anyone ever actually tried to contact Crown's staff that deal with different show elements?....like visual designers, director...etc. I mean if the staff was contacted at this point in the season, would they do anything about it? If something was changed, it could definitely increase their chances of another repeat, I would think that would be enough motivation to clean up the show.I still love the show, but I would enjoy it even more without so many props on the field.

I tried to contact them but I got bounced.

• Like 1

I'm sure to get flamed for this, but here goes:

Frankly, I think the idea that the fans know better than the instructional/design staffs who are in critique with and receiving detailed commentary from the judges is pretty funny. I'm sure such emails have been sent, but lets not kid ourselves. As a designer and instructor I've had parents/volunteers make suggestions from time to time, and I always try to be as gracious as possible, but for the most part, I'm not taking much of it very seriously (of course from time to time there's a good idea). I don't give the chef at a restaurant suggestions on how he could make his dishes better, whether I liked what I had or not.

Does anyone really think that the design staff at Crown hasn't considered whether or not the trampolines are helping or hurting their cause?

• Like 8