Number of Postings Here

you don't. DCP is too cheap to host media:-/ so you can only post images by uploading them somewhere else first.

post it on imgur.com really lovely drag and drop interface.

after you upload it, IMGUR gives you a nice BBCode shortcut you can copy/paste right into a DCP message.

tumblr_inline_n5uyc0Iras1qa13bs.png

Really?? never had to do that....

... and 'too cheap"??

Maybe let's ponder that for a moment, shall we?

tumblr_inline_n5uyc0Iras1qa13bs.png

Really?? never had to do that....

... and 'too cheap"??

Maybe let's ponder that for a moment, shall we?

yes REALLY you did. spock is hosted on a tumbler not on DCP. if you didn't upload it then SOMEONE uploaded it to that tumbler page.

and too cheap is exactly right . DCP costs nothing -- can't get cheaper than that :-)

another advantage to imgur -- your image won't be blocked for "too many views" -- this happens a lot with the various "free" photo hosting sites. (you see flickr images here disapper for too many views)

finally ... linking to an image on a site that's not yours (and therefore whose bandwidth you don't pay for) is just bad netiquette. imgur WANTS you to share images via their site.

<off soapbox>

Edited by corpsband

I'm all for a good fight or argument (you can blame the Irish Sullivan blood in my background for that one). However, when I do post, I try to remember three things that Dear Ol' Dad tried to teach me (and which never really took hold until I turned 50):

1) Never **** into the wind.

2) Never get into a ******* match with a skunk.

3) Never try to teach a pig to sing. It only frustrates you...and royally ****** off the pig.

Not sure if those might be reasons for a general-population drop-off in postings (following the rationale...not that I specifically said it), but maybe.....

Pound Cake...price-per-pound...pound-for-pound...Ezra Pound....In for a penny, in for a Pound...

yes REALLY you did. spock is hosted on a tumbler not on DCP. if you didn't upload it then SOMEONE uploaded it to that tumbler page.

and too cheap is exactly right . DCP costs nothing -- can't get cheaper than that :-)

another advantage to imgur -- your image won't be blocked for "too many views" -- this happens a lot with the various "free" photo hosting sites. (you see flickr images here disapper for too many views)

finally ... linking to an image on a site that's not yours (and therefore whose bandwidth you don't pay for) is just bad netiquette. imgur WANTS you to share images via their site.

<off soapbox>

Yup - my bad - read it all too fast.

still not there with you on the 'too cheap' backhand.

yeah i can totally see your point there. you can read that the wrong way too easily. but i didn't want to say "too poor". still... probably a bad expression as i didn't intend the slight -- just the financial situation. edited my post.

Edited by corpsband

the marketplace now provides free webhosting of images, video etc... and all those services are also free to the end user - twitter, facebook, instagram, shutterfly etc.. so that's where the perception of "cheap" comes in. It's an expectation now.

DCP's still not a bad value for the cost you have to pay to participate.

(Note: I have no inside knowledge of DCP statistics.) If I had to guess, I'd say lower posting numbers have to do with member turnover, the larger number of options now available (especially to those who follow only one corps, Facebook is much more direct), DCP's sometimes steep learning curve towards new posters and DCI's absolute inability to leverage what's in front of them.

And FWIW, our FB page is still a work in progress, figuring out our voice. (Yeah, yeah, I'm the one doing the working on it.) We're net adding users each year, so I'm happy to say we're providing *some* value, at least.

Mike

I didn't read his comment as a backhand...i read it as no cost to the user, and DCP operating within it's means. Corpsband is knowledgeable enough on this stuff that he's not going to take shots...