Any question on excessive WGI influence?

Too bad the WGI percussion folks as well as the other WGI folks don't carry that "show of the day" mind set over to the DCI realm!!

I'll disagree with that. Percussion is truly the one caption that doesn't slot by name.It's also the one sheet where the judge isnt afraid to throw out a spread

Also worth mentioning that "making money hand over fist" isn't exactly accurate, as WGI is a non-profit organization. That being said, they are certainly financially solvent, and have no trouble staying that way.

being a non-profit has exactly nothing to do with how much money WGI or any other non-profit organization brings in.
  • Like 1

Also worth mentioning that "making money hand over fist" isn't exactly accurate, as WGI is a non-profit organization. That being said, they are certainly financially solvent, and have no trouble staying that way.

It is also worth mentioning that it seems you have no idea what a non-profit designation actually means.

*hint* it doesn't mean the entity doesn't make a profit

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

It is also worth mentioning that it seems you have no idea what a non-profit designation actually means.

*hint* it doesn't mean the entity doesn't make a profit

I know exactly what a non-profit designation means so back off with the condescending tone.

being a non-profit has exactly nothing to do with how much money WGI or any other non-profit organization brings in.

But it means a lot regarding what can be done with that money.

I like the idea of WGI but don’t really pay attention to it. I’m not sure if this is accurate but I suspect some of the trends I’m seeing on the football field were copped from WGI. A lot of this small, individual movement, dance stuff may work on a gym floor but gets lost in a big stadium yet it’s still being rewarded in the scores. Good design is designing for the medium.

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

I'll disagree with that. Percussion is truly the one caption that doesn't slot by name.It's also the one sheet where the judge isnt afraid to throw out a spread

Jeff - I'll agree with you to this degree. There are currently five (5) percussion judges on DCI's active roster that do not slot by name. The rest of them not only slot by name, but they have turned it into a true art form. And as you know, I come from 30 plus years of percussion experience.

Jeff - I'll agree with you to this degree. There are currently five (5) percussion judges on DCI's active roster that do not slot by name. The rest of them not only slot by name, but they have turned it into a true art form. And as you know, I come from 30 plus years of percussion experience.

Yeah, not buying it.

But it means a lot regarding what can be done with that money.

Belong to a non-profit that gives a small percentage of what they make over the year to an education facility and another small percentage to the national groups approved educational groups. Rest of it (roughtly 90%) is held in various banks as operating funds and emergency reserves. Certain times of the year it hits $1M+ but still non-profit even as they whizz away a ton of money here and there on the group itself..

They must be doing it legally as it's the second try for them as a non-profit...... never did hear how they screwed up the first time.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

But if Finals night the arena is packed and standing room only... then who cares what the audience make up is?

Not only that, but performing members (from non-World groups) still have to PAY for admission: it's not a free ticket! If an IO group makes IO Finals, or even wins, they still would've had to pre-order their World admission tickets if they want to see World. The tickets are discounted, but now-a-days you can't even buy them day-of, you have to pre-order: because the event is REALLY popular and basically sells out in advance.