DCI Denton

According to the new leaderboard, we may have a 5 way race this year. Crazy.

Thanks for saying this. I've been to several shows and it seems the audience response is slow in forming. I want to scream at people to jump to their feet.... but alas, such a thing can not be forced.

Of course. It was love at first sight when I saw them at the '12 Finals. Last year was a bit of a weird one, but the gothic theme with appropriate narration and thematic props make for a cool show. With a couple more years of WC footing, their brass could be hanging with the big dogs in a couple of years.

Can anyone explain how Academy jumped ahead of Oregon Crusaders in the rankings when they tied scores, and OC had a higher weighted score? Is it because of the larger increase in score that the Academy achieved from their last score? Just trying to learn this scoring system.

The rankings are made up and the scores don't matter. Just enjoy the show.

@TheShadeOfNight

Crowns weapons don't all dance at the muffler feature there are some sabres in the back field. Second not one person dances from the muffler section to the end of the ballad they all spin either sabre or flag at some point during that section.

How Crowns guard is achieving Box 5 is simple - the work that is given to them is at a high level compared to most of there competitors and they are achieving what's given to them and applying the technique. Just like many of there other competitors who are also achieving box 5

Pardon, flags and a few weapons* are shoved backfield while modern dance music video is front field. Don't even tell me what I saw last night. AT LEAST one person (at a time) is dancing throughout that whole section. I vividly remember because I was thinking that whole time "why is this happening? Why can't they spin flags or weapons in the expert and beautiful way they do instead of this garbage?" Crown's guard spins very well, I wish they would let them showcase that throughout.

@TheShadeOfNight

Crowns weapons don't all dance at the muffler feature there are some sabres in the back field. Second not one person dances from the muffler section to the end of the ballad they all spin either sabre or flag at some point during that section.

How Crowns guard is achieving Box 5 is simple - the work that is given to them is at a high level compared to most of there competitors and they are achieving what's given to them and applying the technique. Just like many of there other competitors who are also achieving box 5

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't achieving a specific box just achieving a specific skill set? I am not sure it has anything to do with any other group.

Anyone wanna give a brief explanation of what box 4, box 5, etc is?

It's basically how consistently a group achieves whatever a given caption in evaluating. From a sample sheet from DCI...

Box 1 = Rarely = 1-29

Box 2 = Infrequently = 30-49

Box 3 = Sometimes = 50-69

Box 4 = Usually = 70-89

Box 5 = Always = 90-100

A judge has to decide which box (and which part of the box) a group belongs in, and then assign them a number relative to the other groups performing. A useful thing to look for on recaps at this time of year is which captions a corps has gotten into Box 5, and which are still in Box 4 due to inconsistencies.