Fan Reactions to Bluecoats "Pitch Bend" Ending 2014

It receives the audience response they want. That's as "correct" as it needs to be.

For you.

For you.

For every corps that performs a gimmick that generates audience response*

I love this part but I think it would be more impressive if the horn line actually bent the pitch. Imagine the GE

Exactly my thoughts. That'd be easier with trombones, though. And a very few % of people are ok with trombones in DCI.

I appreciate and respect the replies from those of you who don't think that the pitch bend is anything special - especially because the majority of several members of my family are ex bluecoats and I feel like they are often very biased.

Never having marched before, I am much less enthused by drum corps in general, but being a part of this family requires a level of interest in the sport. So I don't want to offend anyone, I truly love DCI, but I feel very critical of the coats, simply because they feel like a part of the family.

But I'd like to share a relevant story (imo):

I was in my kitchen doing dishes while my brother, a bluecoats age-out, was playing past drum corps shows on youtube. He was going through all kinds of shows for about an hour before he started to play the coats 2014 music.

Now, this was EARLY in the season - it was a recording he made for himself after visiting the Bluecoats move-in site and watching them practice. I hadn't heard any of the coats music yet, he didn't mention it was them, but as soon as the pitch dipped I stopped doing what I was doing, whipped my head around, wide-eyed, and said, "Who the f*ck is that?!"

It was an authentic reaction. It could have been any corps, phantom, bd, pioneer for all I knew.

Again, I respect your opinion…buttttttt: If you are saying that you don't think the pitch bend is anything special, I have to assume that you have something against the Bluecoats in the first place….because that part of their show sounds surprising and phenomenal and new…no matter how its done, synth or no.

I can attest to that. I had no idea who I was listening to, but I knew it was baller as f*ck.

• Like 5

Exactly my thoughts. That'd be easier with trombones, though. And a very few % of people are ok with trombones in DCI.

I'd rather have trombones than electronics. That being said, the pitch bend is the best use electronics since these were added. Perhaps I'm getting soft with my "unplug" perspective but I think it's an incredibly creative and innovative effect.

I'd rather have trombones than electronics. That being said, the pitch bend is the best use electronics since these were added. Perhaps I'm getting soft with my "unplug" perspective but I think it's an incredibly creative and innovative effect.

I feel you there. It may be because I'm "new blood" but I'm OK with electronics...to a certain extent. Too much, and it becomes more of a dance routine. I agree with you here though, this is the single best use of electronics I've seen.

• Like 1

What makes the pitch bend so awesome is the "combined" effect it has with the brass and the electronics. It's brilliant, it's perfect, and it works wonderfully. Believe it or not, there are a lot of us old drum corps dinosaurs out there that love the Bluecoats ending. Moreover, this is one of the first drum corps shows that has the electronics integrated perfectly with the brass and percussion.

• Like 3

I saw this for the first time this weekend (Nashville and Atlanta). I'd already heard about it but deliberately chose to NOT watch videos of it so I could gauge the full effect of seeing it live for the first time. One of the best GE moments and crowd reactions I've seen in several years. I'm generally not an electronics guy but in this case it is used beautifully. It doesn't make a difference to me whether the brass did the pitch bend or not -it works so well because of the integrated corps movement and chord progressions. Something does not necessarily have to be complicated to work. It's called General Effect - something that in my opinion has been sorely lacking in DCI shows in recent years.

Edited by Kevin Meadows
  • Like 4

Added 2014 Nashville, TN reaction.

"Jesus Christ"

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 2