Fan Reactions to Bluecoats "Pitch Bend" Ending 2014

So you are saying I made everyone believe the pitch bend was done by brass? lol, I was talking about how the soloists bend their intonation throughout the show. grumpypants.

It seems that all posts that dare to talk about the bend with anything but complete adoration must begin with a disclaimer: "It's a cool moment." Which it is. OK, now that's been noted:

You remember correctly. This is the first clip where most of us heard the bend. It was posted in the Stanford thread late on the night of the Akron show, two days before the movie-cast, and one of the earliest responses was "Nice synth use", which got this reply: "It's supported by synth, but the brass line literally bends their intonation throughout the show".

So people who believed superOOk were primed to see something completely amazing, and unsurprisingly were a little disappointed by what is "merely" (note scare quotes) a clever and crowd-pleasing effect. Some people felt that way after giving that clip a second listen, for instance: "Actually, I think it's just the synth that bends it's pitch, to sound like the hornline. I first thought it was the horns too, and was awestruck. But you can hear the brass re-enter when the chord gets to the bottom pitch." And that was a couple hours before the cinema screening.

So you are saying I made everyone believe the pitch bend was done by brass? lol, I was talking about how the soloists bend their intonation throughout the show. grumpypants.

I apologize for misunderstanding your meaning, although given that you said synth only "supported" the pitch-bend in the video clip that Cop had posted, can you see why you were so understood? And you said Bluecoats' pitch bending that happened throughout the show was "including the soloists" (your exact words), not exclusive to the soloists.

(Again, it's still a cool effect.)

If it wasn't funny the first time it was posted, why the #$% would it be funny the next ten times?

Wait, what? I did a search for the word "pitchblende" before posting, to make sure I wasn't copying someone else's joke. Nothing came up.

Wait, what? I did a search for the word "pitchblende" before posting, to make sure I wasn't copying someone else's joke. Nothing came up.

I'm just joshing. I saw that on google and had to find a post to attach it. Yours was the lucky one.

Edited by 2000Cadet

OMG I was actually thinking of K before I even got there. I remember it from SNL's 'Happy Fun Ball' sketch but it may have deeper roots.

That's from where I remember it as well. I've always loved that part of the disclaimer.

Interesting to read on Wikipedia (and only then remember) that the Happy Fun Ball bit debuted during the Gulf War.

Hmmm...I guess you just offended the pitch blend! :tounge2:

The pitch bend understands why there is no "I" in the list, but it would only be offended if I went on to list something other than the explanation I gave. The pitch bend is not without a heart.

• Like 1

I am so late to the show on this topic, it is pitiful. I personally hate the way electronics have been used in the past(this a generalization, some have used it well), but this is so unique and appropriate to the theme of the show(I hate themes as well) you must give it props. The combination of the horns and the synth is so inventive, the hater in me has lessened just a bit on this issue.

Some of what I see on the field this year is making me love drum corps(or as my mind puts it, Blast on the field) just a bit more than I did in the past.

It seems that all posts that dare to talk about the bend with anything but complete adoration must begin with a disclaimer: "It's a cool moment." Which it is. OK, now that's been noted:

You remember correctly. This is the first clip where most of us heard the bend. It was posted in the Stanford thread late on the night of the Akron show, two days before the movie-cast, and one of the earliest responses was "Nice synth use", which got this reply: "It's supported by synth, but the brass line literally bends their intonation throughout the show".

So people who believed superOOk were primed to see something completely amazing, and unsurprisingly were a little disappointed by what is "merely" (note scare quotes) a clever and crowd-pleasing effect. Some people felt that way after giving that clip a second listen, for instance: "Actually, I think it's just the synth that bends it's pitch, to sound like the hornline. I first thought it was the horns too, and was awestruck. But you can hear the brass re-enter when the chord gets to the bottom pitch." And that was a couple hours before the cinema screening.

Super00k ruined it for me too, so many people, so disappointed, why super00k, why?

The L was for Bloo, my gift to then as this is more than a pitch bend, it’s blended with their brass and being that it’s such a super, awesome, pants-wetting, best thing in DCI this year moment (sorry marchers, the sample the staff created makes you all look like puke), it should have its own name; pitch blend

You folks really sold me on this, I’m off to Best Buy after work to dazzle the masses with my musical creativity. I expect standing-o’s in the synth aisle

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1