Lack of "wow" drill moves

All of those are more recent that twenty years...

Besides Cadets of course, but I agree. Most if not all of them will be forgotten IMO

I think it's fair to say that the dominant corps somewhat sets the tone -- but only temporarily. If anything, I wonder if all we're seeing is the pendulum swing back toward music, given that it swung so far toward visuals when the Cavies were dominant.

Or maybe the corps are all just more interested in hidden demand than in outright running around. It isn't as if the shows are easier.

I think it's fair to say that the dominant corps somewhat sets the tone -- but only temporarily. If anything, I wonder if all we're seeing is the pendulum swing back toward music, given that it swung so far toward visuals when the Cavies were dominant.

Or maybe the corps are all just more interested in hidden demand than in outright running around. It isn't as if the shows are easier.

My favorite drill move of all time is when the Blue Devils would wheel into a goal-line to goal-line company front and march that sucker forward straight as a ruler.

• Like 1

Of course not. But, other than the Z-pull, what drill moves from 30 years ago are we still talking about today? Z-pull, Star's Cross-to-Cross, and Troopers' Sunburst are the only drill moves older than even 20 years that ever get mentioned, from what I see.

That's actually the first three I think of!

Of course not. But, other than the Z-pull, what drill moves from 30 years ago are we still talking about today? Z-pull, Star's Cross-to-Cross, and Troopers' Sunburst are the only drill moves older than even 20 years that ever get mentioned, from what I see.

30 years? 1984 and prior huh... lets see

* Madison's shifting parallelograms (83/84) - As far as I know this is the first instance of that sort of geometric manipulation happening. Not entirely sure. On another note the drill Madison had from 83 to 84 kinda gets forgotten thanks to Zingale. Madison still had some crazy stuff in 84 especially. Those guys were booking it during the 2nd tune.

* Blue Devils rotating double company fronts in the 70s.

* Cavaliers "Softly as I Leave You" closers from 80-82. Especially 82 with the hesitation step over.

* Boston Crusaders Conquest (less of a drill move and more of an excellent mark time choreography)

* Troopers yardline company fronts. I think one happened in either 84 or 83...

20 years you can still find some great stuff thanks to the big 3 (Brazale, Zingale, Brubaker).

* Phantom Regiment crabstep wedges 93/94

* Phantom Regiment icebergs (various Brazale drills)

* Phantom Regiment W-Pull (89/90)

* Z Pulls, Cross to Cross, Dissolving Company Front

* The slow motion mayhem things in Cadets 89 and 92. I have no idea what you call it, but I loved it.

* Everything in Cavaliers 1989-1991. Especially the end of 1991.

* Almost everything Brubaker wrote for the Cavaliers has now become standard tricks of the trade for drill writers everywhere.

Ex: 4 group Xs/Diamonds, Snake/dragon/whatever you call it, emphasis on geometric shapes

* Madison setups into surprise company fronts 91/92.

* Madison double rotating splits into giant flying Wedge

* Madison small group rotations in larger geometric shapes (occurs during the end of the 1991 show. They later used it at the end of the 1996 show, and Cavaliers made it famous in the Diamond Cutter).

* Crossmen "?" 1992

* SCV angled company front in 1989

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

With all due respect, what is so amazing about that?

Apparently we're supposed to see the wow in a block and 2 spirals.

Last summer I personally feared for those kids in Crown because of the demand they were asked to perform, while playing. Have you noticed how many holes are in the percussion section in many of the corps this summer? The demand is still there and I get wowed every time I'm at a show. All these kids are amazing in what they do and I can't thank them enough but I try.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

In particular, the sheer velocity of Cadets show this year is astounding.

I think it has a lot to do with the philosophical shift away from "derived achievement" towards "direct achievement". I had to make up the "direct" part to set it apart from derived achievement....there's no actual term I know being used. Plainly stated, derived achievement lets you attempt more difficult things and get credit even if they are not fully achieved. It's the old "which scores more argument, hard stuff with some mistakes, or easy stuff done perfectly?"

Judging philosophy today states that you get no credit for merely attempting something...it *must* be achieved to be credited. When fully achieved content is realized, the one with better or more cohesive design scores higher.

Actually, in the last two years, it was agreed that they indeed would get credit for "almost." Which is why Crown could still win with the dirty rotating pyramid.

Cadets - dissolving company front 87, shoestring 85, shake 87 and many other years, wraparound block and expanding block 86, infinity arc 88

Pictures - plane, Jesus fish, shark/jet

Cavaliers - snake/dragon? 86

BD - end zone to end zone company front