Things to do in Allentown area?

I agree - hit a diner early in the day - and save some room for the food at the stadium - it's actually REALLY good for stadium food

yes but leave time as the lines move unbelievably slow.

or hit Wawa and take part in HoagieFest

All these great suggestions - but up until now, no one has mentioned if Allentown has a Taco Bell or not.

not one close to the stadium if memory serves right, Maybe out by the mall on 145

Really appreciate suggestions from others. Living here, I always find it fascinating how our guests spend their non-drum corps time. I made a few additions to my original list of things to do.

Allentown gets a bad rap for its lack of parking near the stadium. In reality, there's much, but 2-3 blocks away. The lovely and calm neighborhood just South of the Stadium (where Youell's Oyster House is located) has plenty of curbside parking. Walk down a couple of blocks and you will be at the lake and park where all the corps warm-up. Hundreds of fans mill around there to get their faces blown off. MANY don't ever go inside the stadium. The vibe outside, before and after the corps perform, is really something to experience. Another great picnic option.

DO NOT rely on TAXIS after the event. There are several small companies, but they are mostly late, and not dependable.

If you do need to cross Hamilton Boulevard to reach the corps warm-up areas, take extra precaution. It can be full of fast-moving traffic. I STRONGLY suggest you cross at the traffic light located at the bottom of 24th Street (about the middle of the park area).

Now, here's a hint, if the grandstand is too full for your liking. There is a somewhat steep, grassy bank on either side of the Upper Level grandstand. In the past, many fans sat up there on blankets. The view of the corps is outstanding, but you really must be careful !

For those making their FIRST visit to Crum Stadium, you will find the vantage point high, past the goal line, to be quite good, even for sound. The entire grandstand seats just under 16,000, but only about 9000 get a seat between the goal lines. If the seat you purchase is too low, try sitting high-up out toward the ends. It's better than you think!

great point about crossing 222. Says the guy who became basses 1 and 2 45 minutes before a show when bass 2 got hit by a car on the Hamilton drag racing strip

I've lived in DC and NoVa recently and I would avoid I-95 during the weekends and several other times during the day because of traffic. ( 185 miles, 3 hours 12 mins)

What about going through Gettysburg via I83 to US30 to US222? That's 182 mi, 3 hours and 17 minutes and less chance for traffic delays through 4 metro areas.

I'd find the beltway and come up 83 to Rt 30 to 222 to 78 myself.

I agree - hit a diner early in the day - and save some room for the food at the stadium - it's actually REALLY good for stadium food

Do they still sell pierogies? I haven't been there in a couple of years, but they have at all of the corps and band shows I've attended in the past. they were excellent!

I like the diner right down that side street from the stadium, just a 2-minute walk from the gate at the bottom of the hill.. When our band goes to shows there, the staff usually ends up at that diner after we perform.

The traffic from DC to Allentown can be horrendous. While it should only take 3.5 hours, it has taken me over 7 hours before while traveling on I-95.

If you are flying into Dulles, you are much better off going the back way (28 north, 7 West, 15 north, I-83 north, I-81 north, I-78 East). The milage is a bit further, but it will take you substantially less time.

Wave at me while you drive this way. I live in Northern VA near this route and it is the best way to get to Allentown from DULLES. I did the same basic drive up to Reading for rehearsals.

I will be driving this route on Friday afternoon. Only "minor" trouble is the bit of traffic going thru Frederick, MD and Harrisburg, PA. It is a cakewalk compared to dealing with I-95.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

Do they still sell pierogies? I haven't been there in a couple of years, but they have at all of the corps and band shows I've attended in the past. they were excellent!

I like the diner right down that side street from the stadium, just a 2-minute walk from the gate at the bottom of the hill.. When our band goes to shows there, the staff usually ends up at that diner after we perform.

Hey, Mike.

Can't be sure about the pierogies. They subcontract most of those vendors. In this economy, hard to tell who is still in business. Unfortunately, there is SO much going on event-wise that weekend, some of the usual vendors could choose to do business elsewhere. It's happened before.

Edited by Fred Windish

Hey, Mike.

Can't be sure about the pierogies. They subcontract most of those vendors. In this economy, hard to tell who is still in business. Unfortunately, there is SO much going on event-wise that weekend, some of the usual vendors could choose to do business elsewhere. It's happened before.

Yoccos does pierogies, not sure about at the stadium since I'm usually fill before entering (except I always leave room for a snowcone.. or whatever those monstrosities are called :-) )

Wave at me while you drive this way. I live in Northern VA near this route and it is the best way to get to Allentown from DULLES. I did the same basic drive up to Reading for rehearsals.

I will be driving this route on Friday afternoon. Only "minor" trouble is the bit of traffic going thru Frederick, MD and Harrisburg, PA. It is a cakewalk compared to dealing with I-95.

this this this. predictable is far better than 95/beltways where you can very quickly be backed up for hours.

Harrisburg should be better as the bridge that burned down last year is back up and running