1992 Phantom Regiment

91.5 is a pretty good score for 8th place. The fact that Crossmen were 2nd in field percussion and 4th overall percussion propelled them into 6th. Phantom was 9th in percussion that year. Blue Knights had a pretty good line that edged them out. They were only .7 from tying for 6th though. Still pretty respectable.

Yep. We were 6th in all the other captions but that 9th in percussion killed us in the end.

Regardless of where we ended up, it was a fun show to march.

The intensity was not there on finals night. The design was not championship caliber. The brass played well, but the percussion was awful. Attitude problems can exist and in some ways should exist when members go from an a great show design as they had in 1991 to OK in 1992. I saw this show live several times in 92 and it played where it should have.

I think the corps was really let down after quarterfinals on Thursday- they were ahead of Cadets on the previous Sunday and came out in quarterfinals barely in 6th and several points behind Cadets, and things just got worse mentally for the Corps after that.

8/9/92

Blaine, MN

Phantom Regiment 93.7 8/14 Quarterfinals 92.1

Cadets of Bergen County 93.1 95.3

Crossmen 90..0 91.5

Freelancers 81.0

Sky Ryders 80.9

Colts 75.4

Dutch Boy 75.1

I think the corps was really let down after quarterfinals on Thursday- they were ahead of Cadets on the previous Sunday and came out in quarterfinals barely in 6th and several points behind Cadets, and things just got worse mentally for the Corps after that.

8/9/92

Blaine, MN

Phantom Regiment 93.7 8/14 Quarterfinals 92.1

Cadets of Bergen County 93.1 95.3

Crossmen 90..0 91.5

Freelancers 81.0

Sky Ryders 80.9

Colts 75.4

Dutch Boy 75.1

Yep, that played a big part. That was just a weird summer for us in general. Our placements were all over the map-- the only two corps we didn't beat at least once during the season were Star and Blue Devils. We seemed to make decent strides during the weekday shows but usually stepped back at the regionals. I think a lot of us held out hope to maybe go up a spot (or two) by Finals, and shows like that last one with the Cadets probably helped keep the notion alive. But once we bounced back to 6th again at Quarters, the wind went out of our sails and emotions just got the better of us, I think. (And our Finals day rehearsal and run through reflected it.)
  • Like 1

I love the show, but visually they were not clean and their percussion was a dirt-clod-flingin' disaster.

I read a story online from a FMM of that show once, and he stated that there were a lot of attitude problems in the corps that year. They straightened things out and came back with a vengeance in 93.

does that include the director at retreat?

• Like 1

I always thought it was a good show but to speak from the heart, I wouldn't be sad if the 1812 Overture was kept in a vault, never to be played again by Phantom.

deleted my dumb joke. nothing to see here. ;)

Edited by tim_brandt

Thanks to everyone for responding, I got a lot out of your responses! Agreed that the drumline was a mess. I also thought the opener was visually written well and until the closer everything else was visually blah. Lots of energy in the opener though, I loved it!