Blue Devils and scoring

Yup. Quite insane. At DCI San Antonio, a drum corps alumni who hadn't seen DCI in a few years went, "Holy crap, that's 40 trumpets..."

Crown puts their Tubas and Baritones on trumpets too...

Both are great features!

I would love to see someone like Phantom put a bunch of horns on baritone or maybe Cadets do similar with mellophones for a feature.

Check out Regiment 2006. In the ballad, Franz Biebl's "Ave Maria", all of the trumpets play baritone for most of the piece. My favorite Regiment ballad, actually.

Shouldn't a perfect score mean perfection? Or as close to perfection as is possible in DCI at the moment?

Maybe, but that's not always the case. A perfect caption score means that corps scored that much higher than the 2nd place score. If 2nd place was a 19.9 then 1st place has no choice but to be a perfect 20: they weren't necessarily perfect in their performance & design, but they were .1 better than 2nd. A perfect score tends to happen if a) a judge has not-so-great numbers management (they cluster the top groups so tight and high score-wise they have no choice), or b) the competition is so good that there is no "choice" at the top than to give the top corps a perfect score in that caption.

SOMETIMES, though, it could mean as close to perfection as possible. This is what last year's DCI brass judge told me about Crown: that they were the gold standard of modern DCI brass programs, and as close to perfect as he's ever seen.

When someone puts all their horn players on clarinet, I'm out!!! :giljotiini:

• Like 1

Maybe, but that's not always the case. A perfect caption score means that corps scored that much higher than the 2nd place score. If 2nd place was a 19.9 then 1st place has no choice but to be a perfect 20: they weren't necessarily perfect in their performance & design, but they were .1 better than 2nd. A perfect score tends to happen if a) a judge has not-so-great numbers management (they cluster the top groups so tight and high score-wise they have no choice), or b) the competition is so good that there is no "choice" at the top than to give the top corps a perfect score in that caption.

SOMETIMES, though, it could mean as close to perfection as possible. This is what last year's DCI brass judge told me about Crown: that they were the gold standard of modern DCI brass programs, and as close to perfect as he's ever seen.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the judging, it will be impossible for crown to get a perfect 20 this year even if they were even BETTER than they were last year only because they'll be performing before 3-4 corps.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the judging, it will be impossible for crown to get a perfect 20 this year even if they were even BETTER than they were last year only because they'll be performing before 3-4 corps.

Yep. At least they still have a shot at the trophy despite where the overall corps is placing. Back in the old days, being best in one caption didn't matter if you weren't in the top two or three overall. Just ask anyone from Suncoast Sound.

Edited by Kamarag

"There's nothing memorable AT ALL about this show. I've seen em a couple times and the things that I remember are the trumpets at the beginning and Quasimoto dragging himself down some catwalk."

:doh:

Yep. At least they still have a shot at the trophy despite where the overall corps is placing. Back in the old days, being best in one caption didn't matter if you weren't in the top two or three overall. Just ask anyone from Suncoast Sound.

I started this reply by overstating that Carolina Crown has NO chance at ALL of winning DCI (they do not). Then I reread the quoted post and rebuked myself. Sure, CC can win brass. They did it in 2011 as the fourth place corps. And Kamarag, to many of us, Suncoast DID matter in 1986. They were seeded in the 6th spot for finals and still received a ballsy 9.9 (out of 10) in Field Brass. I wonder if Bill Doyle thought he might throw out the first field 10 in history. But nope. Suncoast's problem was that their Stan Kenton show really wasn't very compelling, and their visual program was a snooze. Musically, they were magnificent.