Blue Devils and scoring

Hater and critic aren't the same thing, but whatever. Why should you be so defensive?

Calling a show "crap" isn't being a critic, it's being a hater who obviously just doesn't like the corps for whatever reason. There's plenty of posters here that aren't BD fans and crticize the show and that's fine, but they don't call the show crap.

Agree that some top corps behind them will help BD as well push it higher. Competition really breeds excellence.

It'll tighten up tonight for sure. Can't go into finals week with BD 2+ points ahead of everyone else.

Looking for Cavies to overtake Crown tonight.

Have you listened to the ballad? It's gorgeous. What about the Gordon Goodwin piece? It's a really cool jazz arrangement. It's quite a phenomenal show. A huge step above last year. On par in design to Cabaret Voltaire which is another BD classic (to me).

Best ballad of the year, IMO

Been a while since I've said that about them.

Best ballad of the year, IMO

Been a while since I've said that about them.

I personally like Bluecoats' ballad the most this year. Seeing it live is just amazing! Crown would probably take the 2nd spot then BD.

Personally, I hope not. Don't care for this show one wit. If it were a decent show and entertaining, I'd say sure. But to win high score with THIS show?!? Hell no, to put it completely blunt. There's nothing memorable AT ALL about this show. I've seen em a couple times and the things that I remember are the trumpets at the beginning and Quasimoto dragging himself down some catwalk. The trumpets are cool.....the other, WTH?? To reward this crap with a highest score would drag DCI down even further than it currently is, entertainment wise. I've said my peace, off my step stool......

Last year the crowds agreed with you, but this year BD are doing their thing and winning over most everyone that watches them, so your argument doesn't have much of a leg here.

• Like 1

After watching the FN broadcast last night (and realizing how much I miss attending Allentown--been too long), I was thrilled and amazed by the Blue Devils. Their sound, style, music choices, show design, it's just all there. Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!!!!

There has been much discussion about large ensemble drill moves vs working in small groups, along with staging vs motion in drill, etc. Here's what I see...BD gives you everything. They are the one corps that is so unique than no other corps, aside from the Bluecoats, is carrying such a unique identity.

BD's show features some large ensemble drill writing in spectacular fashion, their assortment of small featured groups (trumpets, guard, percussion, and mini-groups within the sections), large ensemble cast-like setups similar to Broadway or a Movie (Fellini), and they are always one of the best at featuring individual talent through solos. The music is arranged to perfection to allow the show design to move in and out of these scenes with ease without the endings of phrases being too drawn out or cumbersome.

It may not be everyone's favorite show, but it's the best constructed show in terms of utilizing all these elements (which work real well with the DCI Judging sheets), and it's certainly the BEST PERFORMED show.

In reality, Cadets and Bluecoats are amazing, but they will not beat this show. BD could easily win by 2+ points. Just too good, and I love the show!!

• Like 3

if they do, it will be far more impressive than 2005 was, with a fantastic Cadets corps and a not so fantastic field. 2014 has a fantastic Devils corps and a fantastic field.

You're telling me that the 2005 Cavaliers couldn't touch the 2014 Cadets? Granted, #4 (ironically, BD) was sub-par, but Phantom and Cavies were VERY good.

You're telling me that the 2005 Cavaliers couldn't touch the 2014 Cadets? Granted, #4 (ironically, BD) was sub-par, but Phantom and Cavies were VERY good.

They were good, sure, but on the level of Cadets, Bluecoats, and to some degree Crown? No.

"breads"....I see Panera is still in your blood :-) But, yes.....want to see some drama at the sharp end of the spear.

I think perhaps breading to put a little crust on it is what he meant. dredge it in some flower, egg and then some nice panko. yummmm!

:tounge2:

Wait, BD has mello players playing trumpets during the opening segment?! Just learned this from one of the Inside BD youtube videos. Crazy.

Yup. Quite insane. At DCI San Antonio, a drum corps alumni who hadn't seen DCI in a few years went, "Holy crap, that's 40 trumpets..."