Trombones. Nobody likes them.

What Madison is doing can't be replicated on baritone. Played differently, yes. Replicated, no.

That's a specious argument. Nothing Santa Clara Vanguard is playing this year can replicate a symphony orchestra, even with trombones. Drum corps has never been about exactly recreating the sound of the source material, it was about playing fun music with the instruments available. What screws things up is when Someone With An Agenda (SWAA) comes along and wedges his gimmick into the rule book. Madison Scouts' James Mason did that this year so they could use trombones for their Stan Kenton show, so it could be "idiomatic." Does anyone think that trombone, french horn or euphonium adds very much to any shows? The closest thing I've seen to any justification this year of using a trombone is Spirit's little dixieland band.

Next, another SWAA will want to play Sing, Sing, Sing and, oh my, we just can't do it without saxophones, it just isn't "idiomatic." And then another SWAA will want to start his show with Rhapsody in Blue, and of course it's absolutely necessary to be able to use clarinets on the field or it isn't "idiomatic." (Kudos to Bridgemen alums last night...) And then, of course, Santa Clara will want to play Scheherezade again...idiomatically, with a full string orchestra. SWAA to include ALL band instruments will want to play Stars and Stripes Forever, and you just CAN'T play that without a piccolo.

This is my dark prediction of a gimmick-driven DCI, that it becomes indistinguishable from BOA and something special is lost forever. What was supposed to be a push for the "idiomatic" will become "idiot-matic" (automatic idiocy) if every SWAA gets his own little gimmick added to the rulebook every year. The rules committee should consider subtractive rule changes as well as additive ones in the future - end the screaming announcer while the corps is playing, end narration, outlaw wireless mics (especially for Colts), rescind "any brass," for some examples.

Edited by drangin

That's a specious argument. Nothing Santa Clara Vanguard is playing this year can replicate a symphony orchestra, even with trombones. Drum corps has never been about exactly recreating the sound of the source material, it was about playing fun music with the instruments available. What screws things up is when Someone With An Agenda (SWAA) comes along and wedges his gimmick into the rule book. Madison Scouts' James Mason did that this year so they could use trombones for their Stan Kenton show, so it could be "idiomatic." Does anyone think that trombone, french horn or euphonium adds very much to any shows? The closest thing I've seen to any justification this year of using a trombone is Spirit's little dixieland band.

Next, another SWAA will want to play Sing, Sing, Sing and, oh my, we just can't do it without saxophones, it just isn't "idiomatic." And then another SWAA will want to start his show with Rhapsody in Blue, and of course it's absolutely necessary to be able to use clarinets on the field or it isn't "idiomatic." (Kudos to Bridgemen alums last night...) And then, of course, Santa Clara will want to play Scheherezade again...idiomatically, with a full string orchestra. SWAA to include ALL band instruments will want to play Stars and Stripes Forever, and you just CAN'T play that without a piccolo.

This is my dark prediction of a gimmick-driven DCI, that it becomes indistinguishable from BOA and something special is lost forever. What was supposed to be a push for the "idiomatic" will become "idiot-matic" (automatic idiocy) if every SWAA gets his own little gimmick added to the rulebook every year. The rules committee should consider subtractive rule changes as well as additive ones in the future - end the screaming announcer while the corps is playing, end narration, outlaw wireless mics (especially for Colts), rescind "any brass," for some examples.

Funny how you start your little rant with what I bolded and then went on to do the very same thing that you accused someone else of. You basically said the equivalent of a faux slippery slope such as "If we let gay couples have kids, everyone will become gay."

That's not how it works.

Funny how you start your little rant with what I bolded and then went on to do the very same thing that you accused someone else of. You basically said the equivalent of a faux slippery slope such as "If we let gay couples have kids, everyone will become gay."

That's not how it works.

That's how it's worked for forty years. Mallets, props, the pit, any key brass, electronics, speaker systems, narration - all that came about because Someone With An Agenda wanted to add a gimmick to their show and didn't really care how it affected the drum corps movement. Now one goes to a drum corps show expecting to hear brass and drums and they have to listen to screechy electric fiddle, or someone screaming at them through a PA system after the show starts. It's not a "faux" slippery slope, it's what happens when you start sliding down that slope. What annoyance that adds nothing to any of the shows will be added next year?

My dad played trombone, and I liked him pretty well. Can't we all just get along, and just be happy? :music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxODzxY6AvI

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I like trombones, but for the drill writer, the length of the instrument can present unique problems. Other than a novelty, I wonder just how much the sound of a trombone makes any real addition/difference to the ensemble sound.

I suspect you are referring to positions 1 through 7?

Edited by Railfan

I like trombones, but for the drill writer, the length of the instrument can present unique problems. Other than a novelty, I wonder just how much the sound of a trombone makes any real addition/difference to the ensemble sound.

That's my beef. It adds nothing but idiomatic slippy-doodle and GE. It's all about hype, not music.

Just let it go.

• Like 1