Trombones. Nobody likes them.

They're being used because they can be, and for no other reason. There's nothing SCV's doing with them, for example, that can't be done with a marching bari.

What Madison is doing can't be replicated on baritone. Played differently, yes. Replicated, no.

• Like 2

Though I've made many jokes about trombones, and raised objections, they have not been as bad as I thought they would be. That being said, I have not seen one show, including SCV, Madison, Spirit, and BAC, though with BAC it's meant as a gag so it may not be in the same category, that could not achieve the same effects musically and visually without the trombones. I also don't see the quality of musicianship. The quick solos in which they are used are good, but it doesn't sound as if a great deal of practice time has been devoted to trombone use.

I love trombones, but not in drum corps. Also I know this is all my opinion. In Charlotte people were in awe of SCV's trombones and even at a show filled with the oldest of the old schoolers in Quincy, Madison's trombone choir rocked the house. Consolation: no one has used sousaphones.

Edited by Tim K

I think they're great, especially when used right. The best use of trombone in drum corps I've seen yet is in SCV's show this year. Effective and purposeful and not just there so they can say they put the new brass rule to use(which feels like the case in pretty much all the other shows using trombones *COUGH*madison*COUGH*)

Here is a short CSO Shostakovich 7 clip that could turn some into trombone lovers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4AZhI1pEcw

A gentleman?

ding ding ding ding ding - someone that knows the same trombone jokes that I do.

Seriously. You're not going to get THAT type of dark sound and volume in the opening hit of SCV's show with baris. If they used baris, it would probably sound like any other generic hit in a DCI show. I like the unique sound the trombones add.

You know, I get that it's a story on the internet, but the comments to the channel 6 news story are simply appalling. The level of public discourse is really somewhat repulsive.

That's pretty much the type of viewers WDSU draws ( for the most part)