Allentown. . . DAY TWO !

I had to miss the live performance of coats and cadets so I went back to watch again...Bloo was on fire but the feet were an issue as a whole. Cadets as a whole had me for 98% of the show...the ending left me flat. I love what bloo is doing, a cleaner visual package and they have 2nd locked up tight. May not be enough time to resolve the feet... The cadets feet are just beautiful.

Just my unqualified opinion :-)

Cadets are extremely proficient in everything. There was a time that lead to championships but in the era of opinions, not sure where that gets them. I think they should be in a solid second. Some people don't love the show, but dam they are performing at a level that should have them near the top. Edited by theCHEZman
  • Like 1

Idk, I don't like to complain about judges numbers but the feeling I have deep down is BD should win but those numbers are just so inflated, SCV numbers are inflated and Crown is getting decimated. I know judges in a very competitive season have to start separating corps but Jeesh. I would have BD 96.5 Cadets 95.7 Bluecoats 95.3 Crown 94.8 Cavies 94.3 SCV 93.7 as my top 6.

After watching 2 nights of Allentown on FN (wish I could have been there live) I have several observations:

1. For whatever reason, there seems to be a lot of people who feel that in order to root for their corps they must slam (in some way) the corps who are standing in the way of their favorite. Perhaps being a music school student and having taught at the college level for so many years I never got this. We were always taught to congratulate all performers at a recital or concert after the event was over, no matter what you really thought. I'm mainly referring to the comments on FN, but even those I hear at live shows (over the last so many years). It's alarming to me.

Are we no longer able to respect all the corps, find their strengths and root for those (or at least appreciate those moments) as we enjoy this activity? Being critical of a show is not an issue for me. If you can do that professionally then you have that right. Not being able to find anything to like in a show tells me you would rather insult, or that you lack objective analysis skills. I know people mean well, and I guess I'm the meanie for saying this, but the last few nights on this forum have seen some mean-spirited hate, dislike, and an uncanny need to criticize and poke fun at various shows. Sad.

2. From a competitive side I think I enjoy this top 5 more than many over the years. For one thing, it's nice to see really CLEAN shows again. This was something that disappeared after the TIC system was lost. The build-up years from 1984-late 1990s (I realize the build-up system is still what we use, but criteria has changed much over the years) tended to favor demand over execution. There was a delicate balance for sure between how demanding and how clean. But we definitely saw some top 5 shows that were exciting but sloppy.

The sensational marching I am seeing from Blue Devils, Cadets (best legs on the field I think), and Bluecoats is just a joy to watch. Blooo still needs to clean the legs a bit more, but their brass and percussion are so strong that they can and should do quite well with a week of polishing. BD is the cleanest overall, but I think Cadets match them in marching (if not better). Even SCV and Crown look amazing to me and I love both of their shows. Phantom Regiment put on a CLEAN performance on Friday, and the Cavaliers ldrill is wonderful (and the music). They need a little more polish for Indy. One of the best drills on the field. At any rate, it is wonderful seeing all these outstanding, and clean, shows. When the feet and legs truly clean-up, it's amazing the amount of "shine" that puts on a show. Can't wait for the Massillon show and DCI Finals.

3. Designers will be studying this Blue Devils show over the off-season and over the next few years. A true beast of design and performance, and in a most unique way. The two MOST unique shows on the field are BD and Bluecoats. They may end up 1 and 2. Each brings something different, but the combination of staging, large-ensemble work, field use, small chamber-like groups, and individual talent (solos) makes BD a unique and special champion. I thought the 2010 Blue Devils were the best corps I had seen in the modern era (2000-onward), but this one may top that. Let's see what happens.

• Like 8

I am more convinced than ever that Crown is getting decimated, as the CHEZman says, because the design of the show is awful. The members are performing it the best they can. But, there is no where for this show to go.

jwillis 35 said, designers will study the BD show in the off season and for years to come. Crown's designers should. Crown has the talent to be in contention for a championship this year, but this show is a disaster. It is Cadets 2005 and 2006 deja vu.

Edited by Nachfolger Christi

Is that true? Quite a bad time for that. Hope they all get better soon.

They had kids out right after ATL sitting out of rehearsal and actually ordered to rest! My son was one of those members affected. I just think many of the kids were run down, but yes they had quite a few kids sick, not sure if it was 20 but it was a sizable number. Hopefully all better for one last week of pushing to the end.

They should just do away with the stadium announcer announcing the corps name. Each corps should use a pre-recorded announcement like Madison did last year with Joe Bruno.

Totally agree!

• Like 1

After watching 2 nights of Allentown on FN (wish I could have been there live) I have several observations:

1. For whatever reason, there seems to be a lot of people who feel that in order to root for their corps they must slam (in some way) the corps who are standing in the way of their favorite. Perhaps being a music school student and having taught at the college level for so many years I never got this. We were always taught to congratulate all performers at a recital or concert after the event was over, no matter what you really thought. I'm mainly referring to the comments on FN, but even those I hear at live shows (over the last so many years). It's alarming to me.

Are we no longer able to respect all the corps, find their strengths and root for those (or at least appreciate those moments) as we enjoy this activity? Being critical of a show is not an issue for me. If you can do that professionally then you have that right. Not being able to find anything to like in a show tells me you would rather insult, or that you lack objective analysis skills. I know people mean well, and I guess I'm the meanie for saying this, but the last few nights on this forum have seen some mean-spirited hate, dislike, and an uncanny need to criticize and poke fun at various shows. Sad.

2. From a competitive side I think I enjoy this top 5 more than many over the years. For one thing, it's nice to see really CLEAN shows again. This was something that disappeared after the TIC system was lost. The build-up years from 1984-late 1990s (I realize the build-up system is still what we use, but criteria has changed much over the years) tended to favor demand over execution. There was a delicate balance for sure between how demanding and how clean. But we definitely saw some top 5 shows that were exciting but sloppy.

The sensational marching I am seeing from Blue Devils, Cadets (best legs on the field I think), and Bluecoats is just a joy to watch. Blooo still needs to clean the legs a bit more, but their brass and percussion are so strong that they can and should do quite well with a week of polishing. BD is the cleanest overall, but I think Cadets match them in marching (if not better). Even SCV and Crown look amazing to me and I love both of their shows. Phantom Regiment put on a CLEAN performance on Friday, and the Cavaliers ldrill is wonderful (and the music). They need a little more polish for Indy. One of the best drills on the field. At any rate, it is wonderful seeing all these outstanding, and clean, shows. When the feet and legs truly clean-up, it's amazing the amount of "shine" that puts on a show. Can't wait for the Massillon show and DCI Finals.

3. Designers will be studying this Blue Devils show over the off-season and over the next few years. A true beast of design and performance, and in a most unique way. The two MOST unique shows on the field are BD and Bluecoats. They may end up 1 and 2. Each brings something different, but the combination of staging, large-ensemble work, field use, small chamber-like groups, and individual talent (solos) makes BD a unique and special champion. I thought the 2010 Blue Devils were the best corps I had seen in the modern era (2000-onward), but this one may top that. Let's see what happens.

Agreed BUT, will we see a visual proficiency judge give out a 19.9 or 20 to Cadets for their outstanding marching? No. Will BD bang out a bunch of 20's at finals? You bet. That's where these judging gaps come from.

Whenever I see the Bridgemen, I get a craving for a Twix bar.

That was a great commercial - playing on the street - some great guys were in that commercial

I really felt sorry for Crown last night. They just seemed so off. Also Mandarins. Sorry guys you had a bad night. :mellow:

Madison Scouts are my new GBF. Love the new guard uniforms and that horn book wow! Great drumline too.

• Like 2

I think Bloo will overtake the Cadets the next show after finals.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.