Good Places To Eat In Indy! 2014 Edition

um... I'd have to vote NO on all 7 above - you are talking chain restaurants and some very average steak

I'd recommend Cafe Patachou for breakfast - walking distance from the main hotels - quite excellent for breakfast/brunch with all day "broken egg sandwiches" and very good coffees

Nothing else I've ever had there was very special - not really a much of a food town

St. Elmo's is realy quite good. 85% of the quality of, say, a Pete Luger's at less than half the price and a tenth of the pretension. It's consistently ranked among the best in the nation and, better still, is Ron Swanson's restaurant of choice.

The problem isn't that Indy's not a food town - though it pales in comparison to nearby cities like Louisville, Chicago (of course), or even Bloomington - it's that the good stuff is far, far away from downtown and not within reach of most visiting drum corps fans. Like you said it's mostly high-end chains and fast food downtown though Tavern on South and the food trucks boxingfred mentioned are of course not chains.

I second all recommendations for Shapiro's. The City Market is downtown and has great food and beer, will be open most of the day Saturday and for a little while on Friday. John's Hot Stew is in kind of a creepy, industrial location south of the stadium but it's cheap and delicious. Unfortunately anyone looking for a good local place open downtown after the show is pretty much #### out of luck. The three pepper steakburger at Steak and Shake is pretty good, and with fries will only cost you four bucks.

St. Elmo's is realy quite good. 85% of the quality of, say, a Pete Luger's at less than half the price and a tenth of the pretension. It's consistently ranked among the best in the nation and, better still, is Ron Swanson's restaurant of choice.

Peter Luger has pretense?

St Elmo probably is a better value... that's for sure. And I think they take credit cards.

Harry and Izzy is owned by St Elmo’s, has many of the same menu items but also has more diversity of items, good if you have a veggie in the group or someone that doesn’t want a big beef bomb

OK, I’ll spill one of mine but if you folks overrun it so that it’s packed and I get bad service…Adobo Grill, upscale Mexican, they have one in Chicago that I never get to so I hit it down there. Tiny restaurant group out of Chicago, have maybe 3 restaurants total, this is their only Indy spot, and just 2 of this brand…not greasy spoon tex mex which I love nor, is it a Bayless type of spot, somewhere in-between but closer to Bayless…the chocolate tamales make it worth the trip

• Like 1

I think there's a Burger King near there

Blech.

Is there a Skyline Chili in the area, or does one need to go to a Steak n shake for a chili three way?

Edited by jjeffeory

Blech.

Is there a Skyline Chili in the area, or does one need to go to a Steak n shake for a chili three way?

This article describes my feelings towards Skyline Chili the best (the chili part is at the very bottom of the article)

(Warning, somewhat bad language in the overall article, not for the sensitive)

Peter Luger has pretense?

St Elmo probably is a better value... that's for sure. And I think they take credit cards.

Okay, I'll admit Luger's is a bad example for pretension in steakhouse, despite it's fame (which is why I chose it as an example).

Harry and Izzy is owned by St Elmo’s, has many of the same menu items but also has more diversity of items, good if you have a veggie in the group or someone that doesn’t want a big beef bomb

OK, I’ll spill one of mine but if you folks overrun it so that it’s packed and I get bad service…Adobo Grill, upscale Mexican, they have one in Chicago that I never get to so I hit it down there. Tiny restaurant group out of Chicago, have maybe 3 restaurants total, this is their only Indy spot, and just 2 of this brand…not greasy spoon tex mex which I love nor, is it a Bayless type of spot, somewhere in-between but closer to Bayless…the chocolate tamales make it worth the trip

Adobo's is good, and if anyone wants greasy spoon Tex Mex I recommend The Tamale Place, which is equidistant between downtown and the airport. Just take Washington west from downtown and you'll go right to it.

Blech.

There are a couple, but there are places where you can get vomit on spaghetti for much cheaper. The "food" truck of my old (now defunct) corps, for example. :huh2:

Edited by Rifuarian

Okay, I'll admit Luger's is a bad example for pretension in steakhouse, despite it's fame (which is why I chose it as an example).

Adobo's is good, and if anyone wants greasy spoon Tex Mex I recommend The Tamale Place, which is equidistant between downtown and the airport. Just take Washington west from downtown and you'll go right to it.

There are a couple, but there are places where you can get vomit on spaghetti for much cheaper. The "food" truck of my old (now defunct) corps, for example. :huh2:

:tounge2::tounge2::tounge2::thumbup: