2014 Blue Devils DCI Finals Score Prediction Thread

Wait really? I must have passed over it. It would be nice if someone stickied a topic that explained what is covered in each judging caption and how that caption is judged.

Let's just go out on a limb and say it's not judged on how crowd friendly the show is.

If it were that way, DCI would just be "Show writer vs Show writer"

Let's just go out on a limb and say it's not judged on how crowd friendly the show is.

If it were that way, DCI would just be "Show writer vs Show writer"

Among the top groups, DCI is pretty much design team vs. design team. There's usually not a huge difference between 1st & 2nd in ability, but there is usually a noticeable difference in design.

Said differently, I guarantee you that Crown has an excellent group of performers this year, working just as hard as last year's group. Their competitive position is not a reflection of their abilities, but rather of the show they were given and how effective it is.

• Like 2

If you can't hum "Be Italian", the ballad, or the Goodwin chart, you should get your ears checked.

Humming the Elfman originals vs the corp's rendition are two different things.

When I hear Take 5 I always compare it to BD's rendition.

Wait really? I must have passed over it. It would be nice if someone stickied a topic that explained what is covered in each judging caption and how that caption is judged.

you will also find interpretation of any sheets becomes an issue . even judges struggle with this even with strict criteria. Imagine being a spectator and having no criteria or not putting criteria 1st. or applying a criteria that isn't current based on likes or dislikes or ones comfort levels. There becomes the problem of spectators actually deciding things ( as some would love )

• Like 1

99.1. I don't think it deserves to break the record just comparing the show to the record holders. It is an excellent show, I've seen it live but it is not a show that I look at and say, "Yeah, that deserves to break the record." The one show that BD has done that I wouldn't have been mad if it broke the record was 2003's The Phenomenon of Cool and that is it. Is Felliniesque good? Yes. Is it excellent? Yes. Is it the best DCI show of all-time? NO! And it does not deserve to be considered as such. That is just my opinion.

Edited by crosstocross12
  • Like 2

We should have started this thread back on July 4th. Here's why:

July 3rd - 83.9

Atlanta score - 95.25

Finals score - 99.05

July 3rd - 83.3

Atlanta score - 95.65

Finals score - 98.9

Those years BD not only went undefeated, but also broke 95 in Atlanta. I do believe 95.65 is the highest Atlanta regional score in history.

Now check this:

July 3rd - 86.2

Atlanta score - 95.1

Finals score - ???

If you seriously have the guts to give BD an 86.1 and July is just beginning, that's an early indication of what's to come. How about Cavaliers? Here's what they got on July 3rd, 2002: 85.95.

Even though there was no Atlanta regional, the day after Murfreesboro they broke 95 and eventually hit 99 during semifinals.

Because there are two records broken to my knowledge...the July 3rd score and the highest Allentown score ever, my prediction is BD will hit 99.3. Brass and percussion will both be a close 2nd to Vanguard and Crown, but the 100s on the rest of the sheet will make up for it.

Edited by bccadet09

Yes, BD has a great show and may break the record BUT I also agree as stated before, it will be partially due to the ridiculous strength of the corps behind them pushing up the numbers. Cadets at a 96.1 last night two days before QUARTER FINALS is a reflection of the competition out there with Bluecoats, SCV and Crown on their tails.

Edited by theCHEZman

Yes, BD has a great show and may break the record BUT I also agree as stated before, it will be partially due to the ridiculous strength of the corps behind them pushing up the numbers. Cadets at a 96.1 last night two days before QUARTER FINALS is a reflection of the competition out there with Bluecoats, SCV and Crown on their tails.

exactly...record #s dont mean anything, a perfect score in a given section, doesnt mean perfect, the testament here is how good whoever #2- about 5 is, they drove that 1st place number up. Nothing against anyone in 1st and clearly if there is distance from 1st to 2nd that alone is remarkable.

Now that there are double judging panels, I just don't see straight 10's across the board from all of the effect judges or the music judges for that matter.

92.0. & very well deserved.