Pioneer Deserved Better

Listen, I've met Roman and I know he cares a lot about the activity and his corps; but, until he allows for change and evolution, Pioneer is going to remain where it is and it will keep on getting passed up by more and more corps.

exactly.

yes the kids work hard. but until a staff is brought in that allows the corps to grow and recruit and RETAIN, Pioneer will be stuck in this endless cycle. Don't blame the kids, blame the adults

• Like 2

So your telling me that between Allentown and yesterday, they only improved by 7 tenths of a point?

The actual number on the sheet is considerably lower on the totem pole of priorities than the rank and spread. Pioneer's placement and spread were appropriate. If they are basing their individual evaluation of their summer on whether or not they broke 70, then they have even bigger problems than their competitive results.

Its clear that Pioneer has different priorities for their organizational success from other corps. There's nothing wrong with that. But they don't get to break 70 just because "well gosh, they just worked so hard". You earn your placements and scores with the product on the field. Until the administration decides their priorities should shift, they will continue to live at the bottom of the WC rankings.

exactly.

yes the kids work hard. but until a staff is brought in that allows the corps to grow and recruit and RETAIN, Pioneer will be stuck in this endless cycle. Don't blame the kids, blame the adults

One of Pioneer's biggest problems, if not *the* biggest problem, is recruiting and retaining talented staff. Roman puts so many restrictions and requirements on them that very few stick around long enough to really build the program. There are a lot of talented people that were there a year...loved the kids, but wouldn't go back until things changed. There are also a good number that turned down positions with the corps for the same reason.

Until that changes...

• Like 1

One of Pioneer's biggest problems, if not *the* biggest problem, is recruiting and retaining talented staff. Roman puts so many restrictions and requirements on them that very few stick around long enough to really build the program. There are a lot of talented people that were there a year...loved the kids, but wouldn't go back until things changed. There are also a good number that turned down positions with the corps for the same reason.

Until that changes...

This

Until that changes...

yes. and it's more than just staffing concerns. Those busses look like SEPTA would have condemned them 20 years ago.

No one has mentioned Cascades... just out of semis and losing to 7th Regiment. I am not so sure about that. I saw both shows.

I've heard a tremendous amount of great stories about Roman and have no doubt in my mind that he is truly a selfless man who cares deeply about the kids in the organization. With that said, the fact that he knows his model and programming choices do not work competitively and yet refuses to get past his stubbornness to do something about it is alarming. His choices are depriving those kids of achieving more competitively, and that is something that does come across as a bit selfish to me.

• Like 1

No one has mentioned Cascades... just out of semis and losing to 7th Regiment. I am not so sure about that. I saw both shows.

I really enjoyed Cascades show, and those kids should hold their heads high for performing so well. They were probably affected by not having a large enough brass line to balance the corps, and really make the design shine. 7th Regiment put on a whopper of a performance yesterday, and I can see how they eeked out the spot.

• Like 1