2014 Drum Corps International World Championships World Class Finals

What happened in 1988? Did I miss retreat that night?

Oh, it was nothing major, and not at retreat. I saw a member of the hornline after retreat (in the lot) and congratulated him on winning brass. He basically told me to f off because, I guess, they didn't win. Not the whole organization, by far, but one guy... made an impression. Also, I have been a huge BD fan since 84, this was one of the first times I had actually interacted with anyone from the corps. I was young and I guess a little disappointed. Like I said though, not the whole org by far, and ancient history.

I remember Cavies falling all over the place when that happened. I remember seeing pics of BD looking like they had just been punched in the gut ..... weren't they undefeated up until that point? Anything else happen?

Well during the finale they turned their backs on the audience.. Was there and couldn't believe what I was seeing.Was not very classy at all. The video on youtube is titled blue devils sore losers. Kinda lost all respect for them after that display Staff and all.

No they don't. Just because someone doesn't understand, doesn't mean they have to reconsider the way they have done it for years.

Cadets appeared to be sore losers. I later found out this is how Cadets do it when they do not get the Gold. I also think they as an organization should reconsider as IMAGE is important. Just because you have been doing something for a while does not make it right!

Edit for spelling

Edited by jmc5682

The raw emotion and happiness from the guard captain who was with the Bloo drum majors when they were announced they received the silver and the crowd went crazy was touching!

• Like 1

Glad to see that the regular posters on here are still griping back and forth over nonsense. Makes me feel pretty good about paying the ticket price to take 4 drum corps newbies to finals so that they could witness an incredible top 12, and easily the most talented top 8 in over a decade. Troll all you want over the direction of DCI, but it's growing. Every single person I took to finals tonight was blown away. Two of them recently spent over $100 to see Pink! in concert and felt this was more emotionally entertaining.

The fan favorite within my group was the Bluecoats,however, they all knew The Blue Devils were the best. One friend stated, "how do they do that? They are so good, it's like they are all clones." Oh, and when they showed the close-up of the Bluecoats DM on the jumbo-tron when they won 2nd, my friend's knees buckled.

And every other female and gay guy in the stadium (and probably everyone else, too).

(Might also explain the good Visual Analysis scores)

That's my band directors son heh heh.

Just because YOU THINK it looks bad, doesn't mean everyone thinks so. I believe the people who think it looks bad don't have any actual knowledge or experience of the way that corps operates. Some people will try to find fault with them for every single thing they do.

I know the deal is respect. To newcomers it looks terrible. Did you not read my recent comments?

I don't particularly care that its a "record score". However, lets not pretend that organizations will not take anything they can use to generate publicity. Baseball still glorifies statistics like RBI, batting average, pitcher wins etc. Those stats have been meaningless for 20 years. The triple crown is given to the guy who leads the league in 3 batting statistics, two of which mean basically nothing.

Now here is my sports comparison problem. (And this is for fun ) a player who bats a .500 is batting a 50%. Imagine a horn player playing 50% of the notes correct. In our activity excellence is not an option and there are no three strikes or four balls -

This is why Iove this activity. You have to be as perfect as you can be and you are putting it out there for all to see. Everyone has to be "batting" at 100%.

50% in anything else except sports is considered an "F"

Music Rocks!

OK.. Just to stir the pot a little....why WAS BD congratulating Bluecoats a classy move? Trying to figure this one out...... Is congratulating someone for beating someone (while that someone else is standing right there) a classy move? Why bot congratulate Cadets for taking the bronze?

And for the record, I think Bluecoats deserved the silver.

Because Cadets have this tradition you see and got out of Dodge!