2014 Drum Corps International World Championships World Class Finals

The problem lies with how they left, and the perception of it. And for folks that might not understand the intent, the perception is all that matters.

I'm sure they could find a happy medium between the two, don't you?

It could be as simple as the entire corps saluting the winning corps as they exit the field, just like a traditional military unit passing the reviewing stand (just carry the horns in the left hands).

(read GH's facebook post, but don't see how adding a salute as they quickly exit would be a problem, and it would help clear up for the uneducated in the stands that no disrespect was intended).

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

A bit of irony that the corps whose director has been instrumental (pun intended) in helping get some non-traditional elements of drum corps into the idiom (electronics, etc.) is now being criticized by some because of an action that stems from a more traditional approach to retreat.

I fully support Cadets' decision to leave the retreat as they did, and accept GH's explanation. I can also understand how some people interpreted their actions, given the increasingly relaxed nature (and swerve away from tradition) of retreat.

A bit of irony that the corps whose director has been instrumental (pun intended) in helping get some non-traditional elements of drum corps into the idiom (electronics, etc.) is now being criticized by some because of an action that stems from a more traditional approach to retreat.

I fully support Cadets' decision to leave the retreat as they did, and accept GH's explanation. I can also understand how some people interpreted their actions, given the increasingly relaxed nature (and swerve away from tradition) of retreat.

I'm curious as to how people would have reacted had the Cadets stuck around and remained in their block at parade rest, not moving, and a bunch of other folks from other corps went crashing through or breaking ranks. Would the critics have perceived a lack of respect by those members or other corps towards the Cadets? Do corps members these days even know what a big deal breaking ranks used to be in this activity? Would they have respected the Cadets enough to go around? I really don't know. But I have a feeling that some of the "perception" arguments might have been directed the other way at groups or individuals who were not being respectful for how the Cadets chose to behave on retreat. Just a guess, though.

The point that I'm glad George made was that they do what they do because they believe it is the right thing to do. For them. They don't try to impose what they do on anyone else, and they respect that other corps do things differently. But when people point their criticism at the Cadets for some "perception" of how it looks to leave the field, like they were sore losers or something, I don't think that's fair that other corps can do things the way they think is right, but the Cadets cannot. At least not without being targeted in some overtly negative way, like they should change the way they do things because it doesn't look right. I don't agree with that. Just MHO.

so... did anyone see the drum judge make a 40 yard run with a snare drum to return it to the Crown member?

I saw it live at the stadium as it happened. Say what you will about the folks in green shirts, but that guy is a hero.

• Like 2

I'm curious as to how people would have reacted had the Cadets stuck around and remained in their block at parade rest, not moving, and a bunch of other folks from other corps went crashing through or breaking ranks. Would the critics have perceived a lack of respect by those members or other corps towards the Cadets? Do corps members these days even know what a big deal breaking ranks used to be in this activity? Would they have respected the Cadets enough to go around? I really don't know. But I have a feeling that some of the "perception" arguments might have been directed the other way at groups or individuals who were not being respectful for how the Cadets chose to behave on retreat. Just a guess, though.

Well, based on tradition, the Cadets would have been completely justified in beating them to a pulp...tradition.

My first season of DCP has been one of learning and experience. I have learned that there are several posters here who have years of experience in band and drum corps and one can learn a lot from them. I have also learned that there are people who have experience or experiences and like to share their personal opinions with us all on an almost daily basis. My experience here this season has been one I will soon not forget and hope that next year will be more pleasurable for me as a member of this community. One wish I do have and hope is that the constant bickering, outright hatred some have for some corps would stop. People that need to spew there hatred or dislike really should stop and think about what gets said and how it affects the rest of us. I do know that Blue Devils and The Cadets do thank you for the constant negative remarks from many because it just inspires them to achieve even greater things in the future and really don't give a rats behind what any of us think.

• Like 1

Do corps members these days even know what a big deal breaking ranks used to be in this activity?

tumblr_mrg905QyyZ1qm6v3vo1_500.jpg

Here's one member who didn't know, but learned very quickly.

Anyways, during retreat your season is not over. You are on the field, in uniform, in front of a huge audience. You're still performing, and still representing your corps. That doesn't mean you have to be harda##es like Cadets, but keep in mind how your behavior reflects on your corps. And it seems like most members do understand this. I'd say the disastrous retreat in 2008 had something to do with it.

Someone said Crossmen broke a record at finals too? anyone know what it is? Highest 12th place score perhaps?