You are misunderstanding my intention here. I'm not defending BLOO. I'm defending Crown, Star, Cadets, and every other show in the past that I could easily put in front of BD's show visually. You really think they were perfect visually?

No. I think you completely misunderstand how the judging and scoring system works. The high scores were there because the judges needed to indicate the high SPREAD between BD and the corps below them. They aren't perfect visually and everyone knows that. It just so happens that a 20 is the roof.

• Like 1

Literally no one, including tonight's panel, has said anything of the sort. Are you dense?

Oh, sorry, I thought that the judges awarded a perfect score in the Visual caption.

Edited by superOOk

You are misunderstanding my intention here. I'm not defending BLOO. I'm defending Crown, Star, Cadets, and every other show in the past that I could easily put in front of BD's show visually. You really think they were perfect visually?

"Don't be thick in front of me, Al..."

Edited by seen-it-all

No. I think you completely misunderstand how the judging and scoring system works. The high scores were there because the judges needed to indicate the high SPREAD between BD and the corps below them. They aren't perfect visually and everyone knows that. It just so happens that a 20 is the roof.

Yes, chalk it up to a misunderstanding of the scoring system. I assumed perfect meant perfect, stupid me.

Yes, chalk it up to a misunderstanding of the scoring system. I assumed perfect meant perfect, stupid me.

Atleast you admit it :music:

• Like 2

Come on man......just be happy for the Bluecoats. Loved how BD and Bloo interacted afterwards, it was awesome and classy.

I know, I smiled so much when I saw them hugging. What an amazing night!!!

We should clarify the use of the word "perfect", even DCI feels it is indeed a perfect score when a 20 is achieved. According to their 2013 article regarding Crown's 20.0 in brass, they say (and I quote):

"Carolina Crown (1st-98.30) picked up just 0.05 from Semifinals to hold off Blue Devils. Music Effect, Visual Analysis, Brass and Music Analysis were all tops in their captions, with Music Effect earning straight firsts in both sub-captions from both judges, (one of them awarded the corps a perfect score), and Brass earning a perfect 20.00."
So if anyone here is doubting these scores being "perfect", then why does the mothership use that terminology if it's so darn taboo? Have you guys ever talked to these divas that are judging? I can tell you from being around some of them in the fall and winter activities, the majority of them would surely tell their gossip circles the tales of being a part of a show with a truckload of perfect scores. Shy isn't a quality witnessed much around this activity.
  • Like 3

We should clarify the use of the word "perfect", even DCI feels it is indeed a perfect score when a 20 is achieved. According to their 2013 article regarding Crown's 20.0 in brass, they say (and I quote):

"Carolina Crown (1st-98.30) picked up just 0.05 from Semifinals to hold off Blue Devils. Music Effect, Visual Analysis, Brass and Music Analysis were all tops in their captions, with Music Effect earning straight firsts in both sub-captions from both judges, (one of them awarded the corps a perfect score), and Brass earning a perfect 20.00."
So if anyone here is doubting these scores being "perfect", then why does the mothership use that terminology if it's so darn taboo? Have you guys ever talked to these divas that are judging? I can tell you from being around some of them in the fall and winter activities, the majority of them would surely tell their gossip circles the tales of being a part of a show with a truckload of perfect scores. Shy isn't a quality witnessed much around this activity.

Because it's PR. The judging philosophy and training materials say the opposite.

• Like 1

Because it's PR. The judging philosophy and training materials say the opposite.

Then perhaps they should outsource things and not be affiliated as DCI judges if the parent organization won't follow suit. PR or not, they use the term regularly. So why is it forbidden and flamethrown on DCP? If I'm forced to decide whether or not I'm calling a 20.0 a perfect score, I'm not going to listen to DCP, that's for sure.