But their show was still not entertaining. I guess DCI doesn't care about entertainment anymore.

If you didn't find the show entertaining, fine. But stop with the whole DCI doesn't care about entertainment nonsense just because a show you didn't care for won. Crown won last year and they blew the roof off the place at finals. Did DCI not care about entertainment last year? Or is only when shows you don't like win? And for the record, it seemed to me as if the Blue Devils were VERY well received by the audiences this year, in Indianapolis and around the country.

• Like 7

Crosspost from the Finals thread.

BD getting perfect caption scores is ridiculous. It is impossible for 150 human beings to perform an 11-1/2 minute show with no mistakes. There are lines that aren't straight, feet that aren't clean, forms that aren't fully developed, etc...

This is not an indictment against BD, but rather the judges & judging system.

Ok, let's use this. Since each judge works with two 10-point scales, to prevent a "perfect" caption score, no judge may give a 10+10. One side of this would be that the BEST POSSIBLE SCORE for one caption would be 9.9+9.9=19.8. Say a corps is so good and every judge awards that 19.8. Since they are "not allowed" to award a "perfect" 10, the highest possible score (even on the supposed 100-point scale) could be 99.000. So would that then make 99 a "perfect" score, given no 10s are permitted? Change the rule to "only one 10 permitted in either sub-caption." SO the highest (say) Brass score can be 19.9. If a corps scores 19.9s across the board, the math results in 99.500. Would that be a "perfect" score?

My point: it is mathematically, if not philosophically, impossible to have a 100-point scale if the 20 is not permitted to be used.

Edited by Tad_MMA

And by the way, did Crown's "perfect" 20 in Brass last year register so many complaints? Is it because SEVEN out of eleven trained judges threw down 20s (independently)? If that's the problem, then how many 20s are permitted? Remember, if the Bluecoats get any next year, don't forget to #### and moan.

• Like 4

BD plays and marches alot. Watch their drill it is not as spread and based around shapes as drill was in the past, it is very intricate, well thought out, and tells a story with the music. They have people jazz running in a good bit of the show but their style is designed so that the goal is the audience shouldn't be able to see who is running and who isn't. No height level changes, think smooth ballet movement approach. A dancer puts an immense amount of energy and effort into their movements but it looks "easy" to the audience. Every year BD has a goal not to win but to be better than the past Blue Devils not to win first ex. better than the 94 Devils, 03, 07 etc. A ballet approach is organic and easy looking despite the difficulty level while others who will remain unmentioned bounce across the field with half the control of the Blue Devil members looking like their show is "difficult" even groups who have won I've seen jazz run at a 7 to 5 step size in 2008. Like it or not they are the pinnacle of consistency (with Garfield) in the activity. They are innovative and lets face it their 2008 show began a shift in the activity and was VERY clean but not theatrical. Devils can be cleaner than others and judged harder due to legacy.

In short, their staff is possibly the best instructional staff in the activity and yes the members are good. If other groups have an issue with Devils winning their 16th title......get better. Sorry. The Cadets manage to be competitive every year. Rosemont was and would've continued had they kept their staff of the early 2000's. So get over the fact they are flat out more successful. The crowd response....wait for it......Never in their home crowd so of course people don't stand and cheer as much. Take tour to the west coast and see how the responses change. Remember Pasadena? Huge standing ovation when it was sporadic throughout the preceding parts of the season. They play to Phantom, Bluecoats, Cadets, Cavies, Glassmen, and everyone else's home crowd. Face it, put the rest in Cali and see how their response measures.

P.S. The Blue Devils take risks in their shows and don't do a for sure crowd pleaser. That is one reason they have changed the activity for years and certain people push back. They are the same that wish they had been as successful or have a want for the past. Maybe even driving the same Pinto they bought in the seventies. Amps were the devil, Bb horns the devil, drill integrated in the show not just shapes is the devil, and I'm not old enough but I'm sure asymmetrical drill was the devil at first.

Get over the fact they were that much better than everyone and get over the fact the only really truly consistent groups are the Cadets and the Blue Devils. There is no reason to be top 3 one year and 8th the next unless the group doesn't innovate a risky show people may not buy into and the members are given inconsistent instruction.

Their approach isn't easier.....everyone else makes theirs look harder due to lower performance levels and achievement. If people want someone else to win then simply get better and quit whining. Use that energy of complaining to strive for the performance level a corps with a pro approach that lets members sleep and doesn't treat them as though they are in boot camp. Good members don't want to get sleep deprived and go from the bus to practice and build bad performance habits due to the inability to focus on good habits therefore creating a hopefully energetic show with hopefully not to many body control and mental issue due to fatigue so they get old and "retire" at the Blue Devils.

Riddle me this batman.... "Props" I don't remember that many complaints about Phantom's spears and chains or the Cadets's door they found their way through...............Or Crown's props. Why is it an issue with BD?

Also, yes I was in the activity for 5 seasons have one ring and I might know what I'm saying. Those who know me will recognize this post as I've said this for years. Those that don't I never said I am BD alum or Cadets Alum or Vanguard. I've seen people trash BD for years. Get over it and get better and maybe their dynasty of 30 plus years will end. I've been reading this forum for years and never posted until now. Can't say the new guy hasn't seen every year of "BD is boring and does an easy show."

Yes, I copied my own post and put it here due to the fact this is the same discussion.\

Yes, BD was that much better this year. Say what you want. the 02 cavies, 05 Cadets, and 14 Devils are the best of the 2000's and they were 2 points better. Get over it. Practice more efficiently.

• Like 6

I can't think of a show more deserving of that score.

Really? I can. Cavies '02. In my opinion one of the most entertaining, awesome shows ever with drill that is actually impressive yet still insanely clean that makes you go, "wow, that is simply the best all-around show of all-time." And yes, I did just say Blue Devils '14 had unimpressive drill, my opinion, but if you would like to argue, watch this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cHiy79GXO7w

I don't remember anything that impressive in

BD '14. The form at the end in Cavies '02 could be cleaner of course, but the members just sprinted backwards 25 yards in 8 counts into a curved form while keeping their feet in time and playing with good style. Near the end of their show, Blue Devils went in the center of the field and formed an unclean line across the field and rotated it while marching in half-time and playing whole notes. So, since many have stated that BD was given this score based on quality compared to the other corps, I would say Cavies '02 would probably beat BD '14.

They would tie with perfect GE.

Performance Visual: Cavies

Ensemble Visual: Cavies

Guard: Tie

Brass: Cavies (more versatility and style as well as good sound and ensemble playing) Here is a judging tape: http://stroccoscadets.ning.com/video/cavaliers-2002-frameworks-music-ge-judge-tape

Music Ensemble: Tie

Percussion: BD

In the end, I believe Cavies would win if the two faced since they took away BD's quality-differential advantage from this year. Plus, Cavies '02 would be the crowd favorite over BD '14 if you are a believer in the crowd pushing a corps to victory (PR '08, Crown '13) and that is a fact. If you don't believe that at least, just look at all the complaints in every forum on DCP over this score, not by everyone but by a fair amount. No complaints about Cavies '02 that I'm aware of.

One last thing before I end this. I have shown the Cavies '02 show to many people not into Drum Corps and they actually like it!!! Oh my gosh!!! People with no musical affiliation LIKE Cavies '02!!! I took my parents to DCI '14 in Nashville and guess who their favorite corps was? Carolina Crown!!! Second favorite? Bluecoats!! Third favorite? Cavies! Get the picture? This is all about legacy. Cavies '02 will live on as long as DCI exists as an excellent show that is artistic yet pleasing to all while BD '14 will live on as long as DCI exists just because of the score. I can think of more deserving corps in my opinion, they just didn't compete this year (SCV '89, Star '93 because of today's sheets).

Edited by crosstocross12

Thought i was the only person ever who liked Carpe Noctem. I have a friend?

You're one of dozens! At least 128!

(Seriously, it's a very cool show that many, many people like. Many more than my joke above)

Edited by jjeffeory

My only beef with Carpe Noctem is that there does not exist a decent recording of it. Loved that show.

My only beef with Carpe Noctem is that there does not exist a decent recording of it. Loved that show.

Well, there exists a really good recording of the drumline and pit... with some horns or something in the background.

:-)

• Like 2