Improve Fan Network How?

The problem is that many of the boards the corps use these days may not support that many direct outs...but who knows. I'm not at all in favor of establishing a standard. That would be like telling all the corps they can only use Yamaha horns or something.

Better Yamaha than Behringer!

• Like 1

For example, The Fan Network could consist of two offerings: The Vault which is all previous content for free streaming and discounted downloads for, say, $5 a month or $50 a year and then DCI.TV that starts in, say, May and ends in August after Finals that gives you access to live streams for... Idunno, $50 for the season?

I'd actually like to have a discussion on this idea (I know audio quality is the hot-topic of the moment; pardon my interruption). I feel like the Fan Network currently serves two similar yet totally separate audiences yet both are tied to the same pricing model. I think there's a fundamental shift that can take place here that benefits all of us as well as DCI.

• Like 2

But if supplied as direct outs to record, the amped stuff can be absolutely optimally mixed with the field curtain mics (perhaps with post-processing, e.g. EQ, verb, noise removal, etc) to get the best of everything for the final produced media products.. Not for the live feed, though ... too many variables from corps to corps.

I agree -- acoustic miking of what are essentially PA systems is NEVER going to produce a great sound.

From what I understand from a Blair audio guy, the final videos and BluRay product is using audio feeds that, when available, are direct outs from soundboards of the corps.

Great news.

• Like 2

I would like to see true DVR functionality.

When I want to go back and re-watch (for example) Colts show during a subsequent intermission, then I wish I could choose ANY point on the timeline to start the rebroadcast. As it is now, you can only choose among a limited number of arbitrarily determined "entry points" onto the time line. Those entry points may be several minutes before, and several minutes into, the show I want to re-watch. If Colts show starts on 1:20:32 on the timeline, why can't I go directly to 1:20:32? Why do I get sent to either 1:15:54 OR 1:22:37, even when I click on 1:20:32?

Also, some fast forward and rewind functions would be nice too. If I start watching a show 30 minutes delayed, but want to catch up during the course of the night by skipping past the between-corps down time, a FF (or skip ahead 30/60 seconds) function would be nice.

• Like 2

FN is here to stay, amps and electronics in the corps are here to stay. I'd like it for somehow the corps amped audio be available directly to the FN engineers so it's not so dependent on microphone placements. So many shows were just overpowering pit. A marimba should not drown out a 70 person brass line.

One problem I see with getting a feed directly from the board is the FN engineer would have no idea how loud the feed should be in the mix. Every corps may run their sound their own way, and the only way to relate the direct level to the show is to let corps' sound engineers do it through the speakers.

One problem I see with getting a feed directly from the board is the FN engineer would have no idea how loud the feed should be in the mix. Every corps may run their sound their own way, and the only way to relate the direct level to the show is to let corps' sound engineers do it through the speakers.

yeah I have no idea if its possible or how it would be done, but just my general wish that the amped pit would not overpower so many shows (though tbh it happens live too sometimes, after all these years they still can't figure out the volume levels i guess).

Mobile interface needed - it's 2014. And a rolling 12 month payment option, not a fixed date. I didn't subscribe at all this year, because when I did have the money, 2 weeks into the season, I'm being asked to pay the same price for a shorter subscription, why penalize those who don't do it "on time."

Mike

yeah I have no idea if its possible or how it would be done, but just my general wish that the amped pit would not overpower so many shows (though tbh it happens live too sometimes, after all these years they still can't figure out the volume levels i guess).

If you sit where they do the mix (usually very close to the judges) it won't be overpowering, but lower down it can be.

I"m having trouble watching the VOD for semis tonight. It seems to play along then freeze intermittently. I'm not sure if it's a FN serving issue or something in the pipeline between FN and me that's doing it. It happens in multiple browsers on fresh restart/loads.

It also makes me sad.