Judging Explanation

Can someone steer me to an explanation of judging? It occurred to me last night that I don't know the difference between GE 1 and 2. Thanks!

Good idea. I also often wondered the back ground (BIO, resume, association etc) on these great people that take time out of there personal lives each year to judge shows and teach kids about Arts and music through out the year. It would be good to go to one place on DCI web site to access this info. There also has been a lot of new people add to the judges list this year as well.

GE is now one caption. The judges are allowed to take the whole show into account (visual and music) when assessing the effect. In practice, this means having one judge (or set, where there are 2 on each) from a musical background and one from a visual background. GE 1 and 2 is simply the way to split that up. Sometimes GE 1 is the music background person, sometimes it's GE 2.

In the past, GE Music could not take visual into account, nor could GE Visual take Music into account. Since they can now, the captions being called GE Music and GE Visual no longer made sense.

Edited by geluf

GE is now one caption. The judges are allowed to take the whole show into account (visual and music) when assessing the effect. In practice, this means having one judge (or set, where there are 2 on each) from a musical background and one from a visual background. GE 1 and 2 is simply the way to split that up. Sometimes GE 1 is the music background person, sometimes it's GE 2.

In the past, GE Music could not take visual into account, nor could GE Visual take Music into account. Since they can now, the captions being called GE Music and GE Visual no longer made sense.

Not quite. Each effect caption could give consideration and talk about the other, but it had to be in context with what they were judging. For example, a GE Music judge could talk about the drill, guard work and staging in relation to what music was being played, and the GE Visual judge could do the reverse. That's where the phrase "visual musicality" came from...where what you see and hear go together.

What they simply did was remove any artificial barriers or requirement for a statement of context, and the effect judges can comment on whatever facet of the program they want.

I mean, sure, the old "I'm seeing what I'm hearing" and such. But now you don't have to make clarifying comments within the context of your side of the GE caption.

I mean, sure, the old "I'm seeing what I'm hearing" and such. But now you don't have to make clarifying comments within the context of your side of the GE caption.

I suspect they do though. Context is important, and knowing how many of the effect judges make their tapes, they will always ensure there's never any confusion about what they are talking about. If there is, you can always ask (not at regionals or championships, but by that time there's little to be confused about).

Is the judge with a music background expected to place more emphasis on music than visual, and vice versa?

expected? No not in a formal sense, but corps can expect it knowing the persons background. kind of like on music ensemble...is it a brass guy or percussion guy/

the sheets were released 2 years ago. links to it are floating around here and on the internet