Lucas Oil Thoughts

I prefer to be between the 30's and around the 15-24th row. Usually sounds good and has minimal delay, not to mention any big drill things are on the screen or readable enough for my liking.

What I didn't care for was some guy right behind me getting ###### at people standing up and applauding and cheering before the show was over.

It's not the symphony, people like to stand and cheer at different points in a performance. And even if it was the symphony, people stand and applaud before the cutoff there as well. Not always, but it happens.

• Like 1

I really like Indianapolis. I know some want other activities outside of drum corps and I can understand their frustration with always being in the same city. However, for me it's all about Drum Corps and I never have plans to go to the zoo, etc.

I stay up late at the show, meander back to my room and maybe have a drink and sleep in the next day...get up and get ready for another day of drum corps (hitting the park for warmups, etc.).

There are plenty of restaurant options and everything is within walking distance.

As for Lucas . . . Meh. I do love the padded seats and controlled environment but it simply can't compare to outdoor stadiums (of which I think that Mile High is the single best venue for drum corps).

• Like 3

I know you can delay and go well into the night, but what if it's pouring down rain all night Saturday and all through the night? Flights are booked, banquets are planned, equipment is being picked up from bands that purchased them Saturday night. You could not have the show on Sunday. Would you just go with the Friday night results and call it a season?

Yes.

BUT, I'd be willing to take the first 42 years as evidence that Finals can be successful outdoors, considering we're 42-0 on finals not being rained out.

Sure, there was a year here or there where a corps got rained on, but overall, I believe the risk for a rainout is well worth it. Those that claim "well, it rained 'x' years ago, or a storm blew down rigging at the State Fair and killed people, so therefore Lucas Oil Stadium saved us all from all dying", well, you're still reaching. But were DCI finals ever in Indianapolis prior to 2009? No. So move it to where it was before -- Madison, Denver, Foxboro, etc. if you want better weather. Indiana is a tossup all throughout July and August for rain.

Rotate it around with Indianapolis if you have to. Or open the roof just once. And yes, Southern California would be absolutely fine with me!

Signed,

Resident of Indianapolis

Edited by IMcomguy

P.S. Is it true that a couple years ago they played around with opening the roof for either a BOA or DCI event? If so, what were the results of that experiment?

P.S. Is it true that a couple years ago they played around with opening the roof for either a BOA or DCI event? If so, what were the results of that experiment?

No.

Only the Glassmen had a rehearsal with the roof open. This is the only instance I am aware of. And I've been to every ISSMA, BOA, and DCI Event in Lucas since it opened.

Edited by IMcomguy

...and the rehearsal produced no discernible improvement in sound. The reason is visually obvious: the openable part of the roof still leaves 75+% of the dome superstructure (above the seats) closed. That's the part that's key to the outdoor sound.

DCI has since decided that the roof will not be opened. Summer thunderstorms can pop over downtown Indy with no warning, and a downpour would flood the field causing financial damage and with no quick way to dry it. Also it can be dangerously hot in the upper levels of the stadium with the roof open when the outdoor temperature is over 80 degrees. The roof stays closed.

I've been to Indy and Atlanta. Both destinations were vacation stops, so I was glad there was no chance of a rain out for either event, and I enjoyed the convenience of refreshment stands nearby and the market place all in one area. However, drum corps is an outdoor activity. In a perfect world where DCI had unlimited funds and would not have to pass the cost to consumers, I'd love to see finals held at a field as the venue but a dome was available in case of rain. Will never happen, but it would be the perfect compromise.

Now as far as finals in 95 degree weather, I do not recall the temperature, but I'm sure it was in the 90's and it was as soupy as a rain forest in Foxboro in 1994, pre Gillette days when it was little better than a steel trap, but with shows such as BD's "My Spanish Heart," phantom's rendition of "Clair de Lune" and 27th's unforgettable "Once More in 94." I think we endure anything if the shows are great, even hot temperatures.

...and the rehearsal produced no discernible improvement in sound. The reason is visually obvious: the openable part of the roof still leaves 75+% of the dome superstructure (above the seats) closed. That's the part that's key to the outdoor sound.

DCI has since decided that the roof will not be opened. Summer thunderstorms can pop over downtown Indy with no warning, and a downpour would flood the field causing financial damage and with no quick way to dry it. Also it can be dangerously hot in the upper levels of the stadium with the roof open when the outdoor temperature is over 80 degrees. The roof stays closed.

Please. There are professional meteorologists that can tell you when there is a high pressure system around where there is literally a 0% chance of rain at any given point. People monitor these situations all the time at LOS, there is an NFL team that plays there regularly if you haven't realized. And with the ability to close the roof in just over 8 minutes, this is not life or death. You have to be really stupid to open the roof when there is a chance of a popup thunderstorm. There are atmospheric conditions that lead up to situations like that, and all of it is easily avoided with common sense.

The Colts have played games in 50 degree weather with the roof open, as they have with it being 88 (generally they use 80-85 as their maximum temperature though). The highest risk of heat being thrust upon spectators was on the north LOWER endzone, not the upper levels. This was due to the direct sunlight beaming down, while the upper edges somewhat blocked out the sun for the upper seats. Trust me, I worked for an Indianapolis News station at the time of the report that covered this story EXTENSIVELY. They interviewed folks in those lower sections, and while hot, it wasn't a magnifying glass or fishbowl effect like you might think.

Funny also, I also have Glassmen alumni as very close friends of mine (who are also band directors now), that were there that day and they'll tell you the exact opposite regarding the sound and that the experience was well worth it. Were you there? They all say the dynamics of the entire sound changed according to their reports. And they loved it. But you can believe whatever you want.

Back to the topic, we should at least attempt to rotate Finals out west or somewhere else once the Indianapolis contract is up. Keep Finals in Indy 2 of every 3 years if you have to. But at least give the west coast some love once in awhile. Rotating makes the most sense for growing this activity further IMO. That is all.

/rant :peek:

Edited by IMcomguy

There were issues with the black backdrop moving a lot when the roof is open. Wind, and all that.

They've never HAD the roof open with the black cloths. Yes, I would imagine it WOULD be an issue, but it has so far not actually been open at any point while those drapes were installed. You'd have to be an idiot to open the roof with those things in place, as they'd be like huge wind sails. DCI makes dumb choices sometimes, but they're not that stupid. :)

Besides, the only point of those black drapes is to improve the indoor acoustic environment by dampening the reverb (well, and to make the DVD's and Blu-Ray's look pretty). With the roof open, they wouldn't be needed. And besides, we survived 42 years without black curtains. Why couldn't we again?

Aren't you from the west coast anyway? I am lobbying to bring finals your way!!! :cool:

Edited by IMcomguy